Thread: i need advice

User Info Menu

Default i need advice

i know not many people know much about guitars on this site but i was wondering what do you guys think about these guitars.

[removed]
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Ringo, I can only say that without putting your own hands on the guitars, it won't really matter what anyone else has to say. The feel of the neck of a guitar is a very personal thing, like the tuning of a drum set. While is right for me, or RD (another well respected guitarist here on the Chat), might not feel right to you. When I have my hand on the fretboard, I prefer a narrow fretborad, with a small radius to the back of the neck. It just feels really good in my hand. No matter what I guitar looks like on a website, I will need to go to a store and feel the neck before I will know if it is "right" for me.

When I bought my first electric guitar (started on an Alvarez acoustic that someone gave me before I went to seminary), I thought about a lot of guitars and I really fell in love with the look of a Dean guitar and a Washburn guitar. I chose the Dean, even though it was a lower end guitar, because when I picked it up, it just felt so good in my hands. Of course, when I heard it's amazing sound, I didn't have any problem with it being a lower end guitar. Would I like to upgragde some day? Sure, but for right now, I love the guitar that I have.

My advice to you is spend some time in your local music stores getting to know what you want. If it doesn't feel right to you, it won't matter whether it's an expensive guitar, because you won't enjoy playing it. It would kill your desire to play.

Hope this helps.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i've tried both of them out already but i like the feel and sound of both of them

User Info Menu

That makes it tougher, but then you won't be able to go wrong either way! Interesting that one looks rather sedate, while the other is a bit more radial. What's your style of music?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

my style is mostly metal and punk but both of those guitars are used by the guys in the same band (a7x)

User Info Menu

Ya got me, dude! I guess it all depends on what you like. If you like the feel and the sound of them both, and you have no preference about the look of the guitar, then I think the price would come into play for me. Especially if the look of either of them would work just fine for the style that you play. Of course, all of that is based on the logic of the situation, and not everything comes down to logic, does it!

I go back to the thought that no matter which one you chose, it will be a good choice. Went throught that with my drum purchase, and although I was leaning toward a Yamaha set in natural lacquer finish, I ended up with the Gretsch Catalina maple set in deep amber finish, and I really couldn't be happier. I had two choices and they were both a winner!

User Info Menu

i like the vengeance one more because of these reasons:
    1. i like it's fretboard better, because it has more inlays and it's way smoother
    2. it's easier to replace strings because the other one has a rosewood wammy thing which makes it difficult to replace strings.
    3. it makes a cooler more "shredding" sound

User Info Menu

I think you may have made a choice, Ringo!

User Info Menu

I would probably go for the Synsyter personally - For this I have several reasons

1 - I prefer the look of it more - it's just my taste - the other is nice, but that one is just, well, cool
    2 - Whammy bar - adds another dimiension anddynamic to playing - especially if you want to do any lead or solo work - for rhythm guitat it's not really an issue - but being an A7X fan, I know what you are probably wanitng to play, and it will need the whammy
    3 - The sound - ok, this is something I can onyl base off how I THINK they would sound - however they both use humbucker pickups according to the description - however whta speficic ones it doesn't say for the Vengeance - however if they are slightly different, it's an easy change. Also beyond that, effects pedals, amps etc... will all have an effetc ont eh final sound of the guitar, but I dare say that the vengeance is setup to be more thicker sounding, with more emphasis on the low and mid range frequencies as it (the actualy one it's absed around) plays a more rythm style - hence the more "shredder" style sound you decribed. It has ot be thicker and more full sounding. You can contorl the sound of a guitar like that pretty effectively with contorling the effects EQ's etc...

For the record I want to state I am NOT a guitarist - however I grew up around them and know what I like, what I don't like, and a fair bit of theory etc... I know just about everything except how to actually PLAY one.

That's my two cents - however as PB pointed out, sounds like you already decided.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

the reason i don't like the whammy on the syn guitar is because i myself have an electric that has a whammy and within three months of using the guitar and whammy the neck was warped. that's why. i've seen it happen. and when the neck warps it makes the guitar impossible to tune and play

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    the reason i don't like the whammy on the syn guitar is because i myself have an electric that has a whammy and within three months of using the guitar and whammy the neck was warped. that's why. i've seen it happen. and when the neck warps it makes the guitar impossible to tune and play

Fair enough -obviously when the neck warps, goodbuy tuning. A warped neck can be fixed (for a price by someone who really knows what they are doing), but it shouldn't happen, but hey, that's cool.

User Info Menu

Out of those two my preference would be the vengence. It is more of a Les Paul style guitar, for playability I prefer the slightly shorter scale length. I don't particularly like Whammy bars, because the guitars I've owned that have had them did not stay in tune well. If you are going to have a whammy bar you should have a locking nut, the specifications didn't mention if this one had one, but it looked like it did in the picture (I would verify that). With out actually playing them both it is hard to make a recommendation, also my choice reflects my preference in guitars, and what is best for my musical style. It may not be what you're looking for, I'm far from a heavy metal player. I also don't think I could get away with playing a guitar with a winged skull on it at church. I like schecter guitars they are well made and sound very good. I almost bought one, but they didn't have a hollow body electric 335 style guitar that didn't have a whammy bar so I passed and went with something else.

I have owned a Fender strat and an Ibanez with whammy's I didn't experience any problems with the necks warping because of the whammy's. I did have locking nuts put on both of them, and that helped keep them in tune. For my style of music a whammy is pretty much just extra hardware that I rarely use. So I wound up trading those guitars in for ones that suited my style better.
    Last edited by Church Drummer; 07-01-2007 at 03:56 PM. Reason: additional information

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    Out of those two my preference would be the vengence. It is more of a Les Paul style guitar, for playability I prefer the slightly shorter scale length. I don't particularly like Whammy bars, because the guitars I've owned that have had them did not stay in tune well. If you are going to have a whammy bar you should have a locking nut, the specifications didn't mention if this one had one, but it looked like it did in the picture (I would verify that). With out actually playing them both it is hard to make a recommendation, also my choice reflects my preference in guitars, and what is best for my musical style. It may not be what you're looking for, I'm far from a heavy metal player. I also don't think I could get away with playing a guitar with a winged skull on it at church. I like schecter guitars they are well made and sound very good. I almost bought one, but they didn't have a hollow body electric 335 style guitar that didn't have a whammy bar so I passed and went with something else.

I have owned a Fender strat and an Ibanez with whammy's I didn't experience any problems with the necks warping because of the whammy's. I did have locking nuts put on both of them, and that helped keep them in tune. For my style of music a whammy is pretty much just extra hardware that I rarely use. So I wound up trading those guitars in for ones that suited my style better.
    Yes - a locking nut! I was trying to remember what you were supposed to use to help keep a guitar with a whammy in tune and I just couldn't think of it. A friend of mine had an Ibanez (can't remeber anything more than that) with whammy and locking nut - took him a little while to tune it properly, but once it was, man, you name it, any metal and thrash stuff, he could do it no problems. I remember playing a bit of Pantera with him - cemetary gates - and there he is doing all the high squeals at the end - no problems there and if there is one band that will push a guitar to it's limits (as far as whammy's go) it's Pantera - Dimebag was a monster for it. Sounds like an Air Raid Siren. Again, no prlbems with a wapred neck either - I think that might have to do with the quality of guitar.

User Info Menu

look out zacky v there's a new shredder in town and his name is Ace (my stagename that my dad gave me when he first heard me play smells like teen spirit. it's always been my nickname.)
    Last edited by Ringo; 07-02-2007 at 05:16 PM.