Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Glue?

User Info Menu

Default Super Glue?

Ok, I've been hearing about all these drummers using super glue to help their blisters, like Travis Barker and all those people. Is that even safe?

And how bad are their blisters that they have to cover them in super glue? I used to get blisters, but they turned into calluses. I haven't gotten a blister for about a year.

But why is it that all these people are getting blisters and I'm not? Am I not playing enough? I practice every day. Am I using a weird technique?
    I have an insane admiration and respect for the craft that is drumming and I have a never-ending desire to be the best i can possibly be. I dont play drums or practice because I have to, I play because I can't help it. ~ Cobus Potgieter ~

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Default Re: Super Glue?

The last time that I got blisters was when I switched to those Zildjian sticks with the rubber grip. I wasn't too fond of the sticks and haven't had a blister since. I'm sure I got quite a few when I first started playing, though.
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

User Info Menu

Paradiseburned, consider yourself lucky you do not have blisters..I use to get them only after a long nite of playing when I got sweaty and forced myself to hold stick tighter that normal to keep from losing it . as far a super glue..I probably would not do that in fear of an open blister and that chemical getting under my skin.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

They use superglue in hospitals to seal cuts so why not put it on blisters?

User Info Menu

Doesn't seem safe.. Isn't superglue like toxic or something? If you make a mistake and it bonds to your skin wrong you could be in trouble, I would think. When I get blisters I chock it up to a good day's drumming, and ice them before taking a break until they heal.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I would Google it and see what you can find. Report back and let us know.

As for hitting hard, have you ever seen Travis Barker play? He's one of the hardest hitting drummers out there. People have themselves convinced that it's necessary to hit that hard to play rock and metal. I say hogwash.

User Info Menu

Section 6 - HEALTH HAZARD DATA:
    Route(s) of Entry: Inhalation: Yes Oral LD50 = > 5000 mg/kg (estimated)
    Dermal LD50 = > 2000 mg/kg (estimated)
    Health Hazards (Acute and Chronic):
    Acute - Irritates eyes, mucous membranes.
    Chronic - No residual effects of acute properties.
    Carcinogenicity: NTP: No IARC Monographs: No OSHA Regulated: No

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET Super Glue
    PACER TECHNOLOGY
    First Aid Procedures:
    Eye contact - Tearing from eye irritation. Remove to fresh air. Flush areas of contact with water.
    Adhesive will disassociate from eye/eyelids over time, usually within several hours. Temporary
    weeping of eyes/double vision may be experienced until clearance is achieved.
    Skin contact - Immerse bonded areas in warm, soapy water. Peel or roll skin apart. Remove cured
    adhesive with several applications of warm, soapy water. Prolonged or repeated contact at elevated
    levels may cause dermatitis in sensitive individuals.
    Inhalation - Irritation of mucous membranes/coughing. Remove to fresh air. Prolonged or repeated
    exposure at elevated levels may produce allergic reactions with asthma-like symptoms in sensitive
    individuals.
    Ingestion - Lips may become stuck together: apply copious amounts of warm water & encourage
    wetting/pressure from saliva inside mouth. Peel or roll (do not pull) lips apart. It is almost impossible
    to swallow cyanoacrylate as adhesive solidifies upon contact with saliva & may adhere to inside of
    mouth. Saliva will lift adhesive in 1-2 days, avoid swallowing adhesive after detachment.
    Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated by Exposure: Pre-existing skin, eye and respiratory
    disorders may be aggravated by exposure.
    Section 7 - PRECAUTIONS FOR SAFE HANDLING AND USE:
    Steps to Be Taken in Case Material is Released or Spilled: Polymerize with water. Solid material may
    be scraped from surface.
    Waste Disposal Method: Incinerate solid combustible waste or dump as chemical waste according to
    local, state and federal regulations.
    Precautions to Be Taken in Handling and Storing: Avoid contact with clothing as contact can cause
    burn. Avoid moisture, direct UV-sunlight and do not store above 25 C. Keep containers closed tightly
    when not in use. Ideal storage: 5-10 C.
    Other Precautions: Avoid breathing vapor, contact with eyes/skin. Allow product to reach room
    temperature before use.
    Section 8 - CONTROL MEASURES:
    Respiratory Protection (Specify Type): A NIOSH-approved organic vapor canister may be used to
    maintain vapor concentration below TLV.
    Ventilation: Local Exhaust: To maintain vapor concentration below TLV.
    Mechanical (General): Large amounts used to 0.2ppm.
    Protective Clothing or Equipment: Safety glasses with side shield, Vinyl (polyethylene) non-sticking
    gloves, rubber apron to protect clothing.
    Work/Hygienic Practices: Soap and water helps remove adhesive from skin.

I probably wouldn't do it.

User Info Menu

You might want to read what you posted.
    That basically says, its non-carcingenetic, non-toxic, the smell can be irritating, but it sticks skin together.
    This isnt some weird idea I just had, hospitals have been using it for years.

User Info Menu

well i think hospitals use special super glue made for open wounds im sure its sterilized , lol i dont think they send a nurse to the dollar store to get a tube of off the shelf superglue..... i dont think its a very good idea...
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    well i think hospitals use special super glue made for open wounds im sure its sterilized , lol i dont think they send a nurse to the dollar store to get a tube of off the shelf superglue..... I dont think its a very good idea...
    +1

User Info Menu

Yes the stuff used in hospitals is sold specifically for that purpose. Soldiers carried super glue durring Vietnam. We carry some in our teams first aid kit. As long as the bottle is sterile and not used for anything else you will be fine.

User Info Menu

its first use was medical, it was called Eastman 910. it is still used as stitches.

i heard SRV used to do the same thing, don't know if its true or not.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I didn't read all the verbage on this glue, but the only thing I would be concerned with would be my body itself having an allergic reaction to the glue. Everyones body chemistry is alittle different. So if you happen to be allergic to something in the glue, your not removing it right away. When it's on, it's on until you can release it.

Personaly, if you don't get blisters, great. Why worry about supergluing blisters? I have had some pretty bad blisters after playing. Alot of the reason has been already mentioned. One was using a grip dipped stick, the other was just gripping the stick to tight. I think technique plays a huge roll in this, but stick choice does also. I use Vic Firth grip wrap and have had no issues with blisters.

I think supergluing wounds is fine......... when it's an emergency and there is no other viable choice. Blisters doesn't rank as an emergency in my book.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post

As for hitting hard, have you ever seen Travis Barker play? He's one of the hardest hitting drummers out there. People have themselves convinced that it's necessary to hit that hard to play rock and metal. I say hogwash.
    Im pretty sure I watch a video in which brand new a customs were bent before the end of the video, with how hard he hits. Absolutely ridiculous.

User Info Menu

I'd use a piece of tape before super glue.

User Info Menu

Getting a good callus layer is what will happen as part and parcel of drumming, usually because the body is reacting to the friction caused on your hands and fingers. Rubbing which is too forceful, perhaps caused by a tighter than necessary stick grip or whatever, may on the other hand cause blistering before you gain a decent callus layer. I know, been there and done that, especially in my younger punk and metal days, lol.

But I never resorted to superglue, even though there is a medical version of it (2-octyl cyanoacrylate or Dermabond, as opposed to the commercial or industrial version, ethyl-2 cyanoacrylate....that one you do not use, fumes from it irritate your lungs and eyes, that's why the medical version was developed. And yes, NR is correct about that, that it was used in med kits during the Vietnam War). What I used to do was to put a strip of Band-Aid onto the blister, then wind a small strip of gaff tape around it so that the stick action wouldn't peel off the Band Aid. At night, before going to bed, the dressing would be peeled off and then I'd used to use Sorbolene (Mum would get plenty of it from her work, she's a nursing sister) or any similar ointment. After a period of time the blistered area would repair itself due to the Sorbolene, and of course with better stick technique over time, I'd stop getting blisters but the callus layer would build up a little more gently. Of course, being a hand drummer as well, a callus layer is what I'd get regardless.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

over 34 years andmi dont remeber haveing them
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

+1. Also, I think that he is a bad influence on young drummers. Just my opinion. You don't have to punish your kit like he does in order to get a good loud sound. In fact, he sounds like overkill to me. Everybody is entitled to what they like. I just don't see it with him.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Super Glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Yes the stuff used in hospitals is sold specifically for that purpose. Soldiers carried super glue durring Vietnam. We carry some in our teams first aid kit. As long as the bottle is sterile and not used for anything else you will be fine.
    I have read about superglue being used by many pitchers in Major League Baseball both in the olden days and in the modern era to specifically address blisters. Josh Beckett of the Boston Red Sox springs to my mind as someone who has had many bouts with blistering over the past few years, and I think reading about him may have been the first place I ran across it.

I haven't tried applying superglue to blisters personally, but I can't imagine it's all that different from the liquid bandage products sold. If you have concerns about using Krazy Glue, I would recommend you check out the liquid bandage product, whose advertisements a few years ago featured a violinist applying the product to a blister and then playing. Once you find it, compare the ingredients.

I do tip my hat to those here who have wisely expressed using caution regarding how you treat your body. Sterilization is definately something to keep in mind. I had a terrible blister this past autumn across my palm after helping my folks with yardwork.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

salt water is better

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    +1. Also, I think that he is a bad influence on young drummers. Just my opinion. You don't have to punish your kit like he does in order to get a good loud sound. In fact, he sounds like overkill to me. Everybody is entitled to what they like. I just don't see it with him.

I thought it was about technique - not battering your drums as hard as possible!!

TB played some fine chops on the first Blink 182 album, People do tend to go over the top about him though.

Oh yeah blisters - sometimes yes, sometimes no.
    Play with a loud band, seldom miced, couple of gigs a week
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Dustin, you are right..technique..that is what is important here. some golfers tape up fingers prone to blisters BEFORE they tee off to prevent, maybe that is the real answer to super glue or not to super glue..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Okay lets be real here guys.......super glue is just not going to cut it for blisters.......But!........What you ought to try is some hot glue......yeah that stuff will just burn your skin, ensuring your blister a warm, and soothing, area to become infected!

Haha JK man.......seriously dont put hotglue on your blister..........
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

He actually "broke" his arm drumming - a series of small stress fractures that led to a real problem and he had to put his arm in a cast for 6 weeks. THAT'S how hard he hits.

That's also why he blisters. You gotta figure that some of these guys are playing for 7-10 hours or more a day. When I'm playing a lot I'm doing 3-4 hours, and even with that I start to develop callouses and sometimes a rare blister, and I don't even hit that hard.

As for the superglue, I've never done it but it makes sense. Dean Karnazes, the super marathon man (this guy literally has a genetic thing where his body rids itself of lactic acid faster than it produces it) who can run 100+ miles non-stop, and he uses superglue on his foot blisters. He says he pops them, then hits them with superglue.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.