Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Portnoy

User Info Menu

Default Mike Portnoy

Mike Portnoy

Drummer: Mike Portnoy
    Main Style: Progressive Rock/Metal
    Main Band: Dream Theater
    Brief Summary: Mike Portnoy is one of the founding members of the progressive metal band Dream Theater. His incredible skill has earned him over 20 drumming awards and had been inducted into the Modern Drummer's Hall of Fame as the 2nd youngest member at age 37. Mike left Dream Theater in 2010 in a much publicised break-up to fill in temporarily with Avenged Sevenfold. He is currently playing with members of Symphony X on his latest project, Adrenaline Mob.

Other Facts: Mike has been involved with several other side projects, such as Liquid Tension Experiment and Transatlantic.

Last edited by Digital; 12-23-2011 at 01:43 PM.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mike Portnoy

DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

GREAT PHOTO, rman................

That dude can play drums............amazing.

Seen him with DT twice..........remarkable, for sure.

User Info Menu

yep, he's one of my fav player, on the same top shelve as all the greatests who left their marks. however, DT is not the same without him. mangini is a top player in the rock prog ranks, but mike's touch is missing. the way he see a given part has no equal . yes MP has a tendency to overplay, but with musicality lol.
    tama SC/BB anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12-16-bd 22reference snare14x5cymbals HHX's/AAX'shardware tama

User Info Menu

The new Adrenaline Mob stuff is AWESOME!! Portnoy kills on it and Symphony X's singer is seriously nailing all the songs they did on the cover album.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    The new Adrenaline Mob stuff is AWESOME!! Portnoy kills on it and Symphony X's singer is seriously nailing all the songs they did on the cover album.
    Although Mike has now quit Adrenaline Mob, too
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Isn't he the guy that threw the hissy-fit over the drum set up?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Isn't he the guy that threw the hissy-fit over the drum set up?
    Yep

User Info Menu

great drummer, did anyone see the video clip when he was going nuts at his drum tech whilst on tour, i think it was Japan.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

A post from Mike this past Tuesday on FB:

A Message From Mike Portnoy:

It saddens me to announce that the 4 upcoming shows in Latin America this month supporting Halestorm will be my last with Adrenaline Mob.

Unfortunately, I have scheduling conflicts that prevent me from being able to fully commit to the band's future activities at the moment.

As I cannot be in two places at the same time, I don't want to hold them back and have to wait for my schedule to re-open up to resume activity.

I'm very proud of what we started together and the music we made over the past two years and I wish the guys all the best in the future.

MP

It looks like his band The Winery Dogs will be his main band for the moment.

I like Mike, got to meet him several years ago in Portland when the Gigantor show came to town with Dream Theater headlining. My wife was a hired Photographer for the show by a local music newspaper. I was helping her with her gear before show time and I noticed Mike at the side of the stage. I approached him just to say hey , to thank him for the great music DT has put out, and tell him I'm a fan of his drumming. He thanked me for the compliments, shook my hand , we talked drums and music for a few minutes and off he went. He came across as a very sincere down to earth guy that loves drumming and music. Just a nice guy. I just wish he would stick with one band, that band being Dream Theater. Hopefully someday they will reunite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Ya, he seems to have a problem sticking with one band. That's fine if he wants to be a journeyman now but makes you wonder what's up. Still a drummer I like.

User Info Menu

He's a egotistical moron.
    An amazing talent but sometimes (apparently) also a complete a$$.
    Perhaps DT is better off with Mangini, who comes across as a very likable and talented person.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Regardless of someone's talent, I just cannot stand it when someone gets too big for their britches. Skill can be taught. Attitude cannot.

Tex

User Info Menu

The guy lost his cool. Haven't we all? I'm not sure that makes him as bad a guy as some of you folks think.

I don't know him. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. I follow him on twitter. Seems like a nice enough guy to me that happened to lose his cool at one point and there was a camera around to capture it. Happens to many.

User Info Menu

On the discussion of Mike's attitude. We all must remember that he at this time is probably the most promoted (self and otherwise) drummer out there. Constantly on camera and caught on You Tube. Therefore he will get caught having a bad day when you sometimes are at the end of the rope, so you loose it for a short period. I've met Mike as well and he is a genuine nice guy. He loves his art and is a true professional. So just remember he is constantly on camera and alot more than other big name drummers.

It's blurry (my son took it)
    Last edited by TxDrummer; 06-07-2013 at 09:12 AM. Reason: bad paste of pic code
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    The guy lost his cool. Haven't we all? I'm not sure that makes him as bad a guy as some of you folks think.

I don't know him. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. I follow him on twitter. Seems like a nice enough guy to me that happened to lose his cool at one point and there was a camera around to capture it. Happens to many.
    Completely agree that we can all lose our cool. However, the video I saw showed him making a complete azz of himself, while berating a young man for making a mistake. That's why I have a hard time respecting him. Just my opinion and stance.

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Completely agree that we can all lose our cool. However, the video I saw showed him making a complete azz of himself, while berating a young man for making a mistake. That's why I have a hard time respecting him. Just my opinion and stance.

Tex

I agree with Tex. There have been many times where I wanted to throw sticks at someone, but, you don't lose your cool on stage, EVER.

He could have made a joke and made what were minor adjustments but instead wanted to make a fool out of some kid working probably for peanuts.

If that were me, I would have laid his a** out.

User Info Menu

Guys... please remember the premise of this forum and keeps things diplomatic. I had to remove a couple of comments.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

I agree with Tex. There have been many times where I wanted to throw sticks at someone, but, you don't lose your cool on stage, EVER.

He could have made a joke and made what were minor adjustments but instead wanted to make a fool out of some kid working probably for peanuts.

If that were me, I would have laid his a** out.
    Yeah but you are too old for that. Mellow, glasshoppah.

Wax on, wax off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Yeah but you are too old for that. Mellow, glasshoppah.

Wax on, wax off.

C'mon Bish, have to have some fun in my life.

That would be fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Geeesh, Just when I was getting into it. Lol

Saw the Images And Words tour in Cincinatti. I swore that if they didn't come close to the recordings then I was throwing my IAW cassette out the car window on the way home(yes it was a dinosaur cassette).

I was overly impressed.

User Info Menu

1 of my old bands opened for DT Images and Words tour for a cpl nights. I got to spend a good amount of time hanging out with him,playing each others kits, and just sucking it all in. 1 of the nicest, down to earth, music loving guy I've ever met.

User Info Menu

an old band i was in opened for them in California for one show. I think he had a heart or something like that on the bass drum anyway I left the club before they started lol.

I've never heard of them before that show. Really not a fan of his type of drumming
    Last edited by slinky; 04-10-2015 at 08:40 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Portnoy will be finishing the remaining Twisted Sister tour dates. Will be interesting to see some of that on video.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN