Thread: Snare placement?

User Info Menu

Default Snare placement?

Ok, so I thought of another thread I could start. When your snare is on your stand, is it all the way down in the basket?, or is it sitting on the under side of the bottom rim?
    I have mine sitting on the bottom rim lip. I then tighten the basket just enough to hold the snare in place but no more. I feel you get a better snare response and it tends to not choke out the drum by having it sit all the way in the basket. Just curious to how everyone else does it or if anyone ever thought about it.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

A quick note, you should also keep the snare sitting with the snare wires on the bottom going across left and right. Not up and down The throw lever should always be to the left if your a right handed drummer.
    This is how Ive been taught and if others do it different lets here it.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

I drop mine all the way into the basket. I have a piece of duct tape in the basket that my snare wires rest against (just barely touching) to help eliminate some of the unwanted buzz. You are absolutely right about the throw lever. I did'nt know that when I started and kept accidentally dropping my wires while I was playing because I had the throw-off on the wrong side.

Lesson learned....
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

i have mine like urs dave

User Info Menu

I second that motion Dave!! Good advice.
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Default Snare placement?

Works for me too, Dave!

Keep the beat goin', bro'!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    I drop mine all the way into the basket. I have a piece of duct tape in the basket that my snare wires rest against (just barely touching) to help eliminate some of the unwanted buzz. You are absolutely right about the throw lever. I did'nt know that when I started and kept accidentally dropping my wires while I was playing because I had the throw-off on the wrong side.

Lesson learned....

i'm gonna try that duct tape thing. uhm...does it help with alot of feedback. i have trouble with feedback on my snare?!

User Info Menu

It helps quite a bit. I have a piece about 2" wide that sticks up about 3/4" so the wires just barely rest on it. It does'nt really affect the snare sound and my wires don't rattle every time my bass player touches a string.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I have my snare stand cranked up tight against the rim of my snare and have never had any sound problems. I also have the throw off in the center, between my legs for easy use.