Thread: Yamaha or[and] Roland

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha or[and] Roland

Buying my first electric set, and having been playing on an acoustic for about four years, I need a good feeling E-kit. To me, nothing compares to the feel of Yamaha's Textured Cellular Silicone surface haeds (TCS) I like them better than mesh heads, and the sounds on all the Yamaha modules are great too, (I haven't played around with the sounds much on the Rolands, but I'm sure they're adequate for a good feel.

That said, I think past a certain point, the roland modules are much better. There is more customization options with say, the roland TD12 module.

I plan to either buy a Yamaha DTX560k or a DTX700k - trying to decide if I can do without the better module for now, which is why I am asking this question.

Is the Roland TD12 drum module compatible with Yamaha's TCS DTX-PADs? (the ones with the tuning knob)
    At this point I think I'm going with the DTX560k because I don't know which module is more suited to my needs. My heart is set on the TCS pads, so if the Roland module - Yamaha pad combination won't work, I'll just upgrade down the road to a DTX700 module.

Whats the verdict? Will it work?

I mean (for example) using a roland TD12 with Yamaha TCS pads?
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha or[and] Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty View Post
    That said, I think past a certain point, the roland modules are much better. There is more customization options with say, the roland TD12 module.
    Actually that's not true, at least not IMO...I play both top of the line modules from roland (td-20sx) and yamaha (DTX900) regularly...I like the yamaha module better..it has more features (i.e., editing, better loops, groove check, 3 zones on all pads, more inputs), better sounds, etc..

I plan to either buy a Yamaha DTX560k or a DTX700k - trying to decide if I can do without the better module for now, which is why I am asking this question.
    Get the most module you can afford...and I wouldn't rule out getting a used DTXtreme III/DTX900 module...I see them on ebay used for under 1K, which is a deal for that module..if you must have new (and want to keep costs down) then get the DTX700 (if you're gonna use the TCS pads)

Is the Roland TD12 drum module compatible with Yamaha's TCS DTX-PADs? (the ones with the tuning knob)
    At this point I think I'm going with the DTX560k because I don't know which module is more suited to my needs. My heart is set on the TCS pads, so if the Roland module - Yamaha pad combination won't work, I'll just upgrade down the road to a DTX700 module.
    Whats the verdict? Will it work?
    I mean (for example) using a roland TD12 with Yamaha TCS pads?
    Doubtful...if you like the TCS pads the best, then you need to get the yamaha module to go with them...I've owned both brands..personally I like the yamaha sounds better and now with the TCS pads, there is an alternative to mesh...just my 2 cents...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    Actually that's not true, at least not IMO...I play both top of the line modules from roland (td-20sx) and yamaha (DTX900) regularly...I like the yamaha module better..it has more features (i.e., editing, better loops, groove check, 3 zones on all pads, more inputs), better sounds, etc..

Get the most module you can afford...and I wouldn't rule out getting a used DTXtreme III/DTX900 module...I see them on ebay used for under 1K, which is a deal for that module..if you must have new (and want to keep costs down) then get the DTX700 (if you're gonna use the TCS pads)

Doubtful...if you like the TCS pads the best, then you need to get the yamaha module to go with them...I've owned both brands..personally I like the yamaha sounds better and now with the TCS pads, there is an alternative to mesh...just my 2 cents...

Hey, thanks man, I got ahead of myself, I was basing my opinions on the modules entirely on what their websites said, I've only tried the 700 module and the 500 module (and the TD4, but I just don't like that one for some reason) and I didn't get a chance to play around with it much, so based on that it seemed the TD12 was a lot better than a 700.

Thanks again, the Yamaha site didn't really go in depth with the features and all that. Thanks. (yes that is the third time I've said that :P)

Thanks

EDIT: DTXtreme is not an option, for some reason only certain kits and configurations are sold in Canada. For example, the only variants of the 500k's are the DTX500, 520 and 550. DTXreme are not sold at all here, as far as I am concerned. And I've tried searching for some used 700 modules, couldn't find any (kijiji and music stores) that were local, I don't want to buy online. (My mom doesn't want to buy online

I saw two used DTX900 modules, but those were out of my price range, one was $1100, and the other was $1197
    Last edited by Fifty; 12-25-2011 at 07:36 PM.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Thanks
    No problem fifty...

EDIT: DTXtreme is not an option, for some reason only certain kits and configurations are sold in Canada.
    I saw two used DTX900 modules, but those were out of my price range, one was $1100, and the other was $1197
    ...as far as the DTXtreme III module goes..you can't buy them new any more..the DTX900 module replaced it..however, you can find them used...usually $800-$900..the module is basically the same module as the DTX900, once you do the free firmware update that Yamaha provides...another kit you may want to look into (since you're in Canada) is the 2box drumit 5...