Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expensive snare or cymbal upgrade?

User Info Menu

Default Expensive snare or cymbal upgrade?

So as you guys may know I'm getting a Joey jordison snare drum sometime this week. It costs $350 and is a JJ signature snare. I've been wanting a snare upgrade for ages. But it struck me last night that I could spend my $400 on something else, like maybe some New stands which are falling apart and breaking every so often, and maybe a few effects cymbals, but that would set me back for stands as well. so it's either a new snare, a Chinese and splash cymbal or new hardware.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Default Re: Expensive snare or cymbal upgrade?

Congrats mate you will love the new snare. Pearl can't go wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius-Borich-JR View Post
    So as you guys may know I'm getting a Joey jordison snare drum sometime this week. It costs $350 and is a JJ signature snare. I've been wanting a snare upgrade for ages. But it struck me last night that I could spend my $400 on something else, like maybe some New stands which are falling apart and breaking every so often, and maybe a few effects cymbals, but that would set me back for stands as well. so it's either a new snare, a Chinese and splash cymbal or new hardware.

You have to look at the snare and ask yourself, "How much am I paying because it's a "signature" snare".

They probably have the same snare drum without the "signature" for half the price, and then you could add a couple of stands or whatever.

ThePloughman Guest

I think you need to ask .......... THIS signature snare? I think even in your corner of the world, you can get much more snare drum used, than that one will ever be new. Its kind of like trying to make apple pie from a sack of potatoes.

User Info Menu

Meh, I might sound snobby, and I have what I believe are justified reasons, but I hate buying used equipment. Mostly it has something to do with pride of ownership, but I also hate the idea of not knowing what was done to the product before my ownership - critical information in figuring out future problems, so I've learned through experience.

Anyways, although I love cymbals, and while playing songs you probably hit the cymbals more than the snare, I would say go for the snare. It is (in my opinion) the most important part of any drum kit. But on the other hand, you already have a snare, so you could do with that and add* some cymbals. If the hardware does what it is supposed to do then I would just scrap the idea of new hardware. If it's falling apart then replace the hardware ASAP

hope that helps.

My opinion: Cymbals
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

ThePloughman Guest

Used electronics are one thing, you can never be sure about electronics. But... refusing to buy a used high end snare drum for half the money when you can see and feel the drum, or, have dependable pictures and a reputable seller, and instead, tossing your chips for a new one because you arent sure who might have touched it.... does sound... snobby. I am pretty sure I can match pride of ownership with just about anyone, and I have never owned a "new" drumset.

User Info Menu

Yeah I tend to just like buying it in a store myself. But I might check on eBay for some black panther snares or something like that. Do u guys recommend me look on eBay for black panther snares or black beauty's. Or should I just buy this signature snare. I just love the sound of this signature snare though
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

Replace whats broken first. Your fancy snare is going to be useless if the rest of the kit is falling apart.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty View Post
    Meh, I might sound snobby, and I have what I believe are justified reasons, but I hate buying used equipment. Mostly it has something to do with pride of ownership, but I also hate the idea of not knowing what was done to the product before my ownership - critical information in figuring out future problems, so I've learned through experience.
    Two words for you my friend: Demoed Items

I can't tell you how many cymbals, sets, snares, hardware, etc. that I find on fleabay for half the original price or even less simply because they were used in a one-hour clinic or set up for people to play. They are often in just as good condition as new at the price of a used piece of equipment without any faults or even evidence of use.
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northern redneck View Post
    replace whats broken first. Your fancy snare is going to be useless if the rest of the kit is falling apart.
    + 1
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Yeah maybe I should get a new cymbal stand. But I'm happy with the cymbals I have. I mean I don't really need a Chinese cymbal at all. But I don't have a part time job so this amount of money only comes across every Christmas and birthday.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

Then look for a job.

User Info Menu

Hahah I've put 12 applications in. I have a nut and fish allergy so that rules out most things
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

You cant mow lawns, deliver papers? There are tons of jobs that wont bring you near fish or nuts.

User Info Menu

Yeah but people I know won't pay me for that.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

If resources are limited, then obviously they must be used as wisely as possible.

Hardware is the foundation of your kit and will last years if not decades. There are tricks to alter a kit's sound, but there's no point in getting anything if it isn't held securely.

As far as signature stuff goes, be sure to check the specs and make sure that you can't get that same sound for less. I have no qualms about buying used drum shell packs, snares, or stands as long as I can inspect the condition in person before laying down cash. I am more leery with cymbals, but I've had two used rides that have both lasted 10+ years. Crashes and other effect cymbals could be a little more risky.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

I've really only got one broken ride stand. Which swivels whenever I hit it. So it ain't really a problem. As for snare drums would you guys be able to give me some suggestions for snares that hit with a crack and have near to no resonance?
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

I replaced most of my hardware 3 straights and 1 boom with brand new stands from Basix. The Basix 600 series. Didn't break the bank and they are just as good as "better" stands.

Sometimes you just want to but new but a lot of good stuff used but not abused is out there. Don't know why but I don't like signature stuff, never have. The only thing signature I have is a pair of the Tommy Lee studio Ahead drumsticks and they are backups.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

if you have money only at christmas and your birthday
    sit on it and wait until you really need something
    don't spend it because you have some
    be wiser
    my 2 cents

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

hi Lucius, i just found a JJ signature snare in great condition on my local CL for 150 bucks.
    i suggest stepping back a bit and thinking about it a bit more.
    case in point i bought a Gretsch Cat Maple snare with evans heads, puresound snares off Ebay for 56 dollars. i was looking for an acrolite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius-Borich-JR View Post
    Yeah but people I know won't pay me for that.

There has to be people you don't know.

User Info Menu

it sounds to me that you want to do what you want to do , not what you NEED to do . its your money, buy what you want . if you want a beautiful snare , with cymbal stands that spin around when you hit them. then go for it , that snare will sound great , and you can chase your cymbals around.. any snare drum will have a nice crack, and you can always remove resonance from any drum. i really see no reason for a sig. snare with your budget .. it sounds to me like your putting the best tires made on a car that only has a couple weeks of life left in it .. not good planning....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

good point. i would have rather spent 100 bucks towards a fancy snare but had to upgrade my old Pearls hardware instead. but now i have a sturdy kit.
    a strong foundation is the first thing you build with anything.
    as for stands, SP makes nice ones on the cheap. i think you can get 2 boom stands for 60 bucks new. i own one and it holds my 20 ride without a hiccup.
    as for making money at a young age it can be done. no excuses.
    at age 46 i make good money as a mechanic and i have to plan carefully for any drum purchases, i have a 5 yr old daughter, a mortgage and bills to pay. it never gets easy but when i score on a used drum all the planning is worth it.
    i could easily go out today and buy a DW kit for 2400 bucks but id be eating baloney sandwiches for 6 months, not a good plan.
    Last edited by kyle102565; 12-26-2011 at 08:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    it sounds to me that you want to do what you want to do , not what you NEED to do . its your money, buy what you want . if you want a beautiful snare , with cymbal stands that spin around when you hit them. then go for it , that snare will sound great , and you can chase your cymbals around.. any snare drum will have a nice crack, and you can always remove resonance from any drum. i really see no reason for a sig. snare with your budget .. it sounds to me like your putting the best tires made on a car that only has a couple weeks of life left in it .. not good planning....
    Well said.
    Put an Evans HD Dry on your current snare, and if its still to ringy, put a piece of moongel on the thing.

User Info Menu

L-B-J, since you are questioning the wisdom of buying the JJ snare, it sounds like you already know that you might need to do the less sexy thing. I agree that making do with a ride stand that is not fully functional, while blowing all my cash on a new snare is a dicey decision at best. What if that stand goes completely before you get to your next birthday? It's certainly a risk. On the other hand, I get that the JJ snare has that perfect sound that you are looking for. What you have to ask is whether you have learned to get the sound that you want from knowing the heads, and from good understanding of tunings, or have you just heard this snare produce the sound that you want? I'm not pointing a finger here. I'm only asking the question, and only you know the answer.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!