Thread: Timing/Fills

User Info Menu

Default Timing/Fills

When doing the basic rock beat 1e and a 2e etc the bass is on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4. That makes the beat a total of 16 beats long. So, when you do a fill, does it need to also be 16 beats? I understand that it can be faster or slower by doubling up, but the length of time should be the same. From my understanding, you should always come back to your beat on 1. But that can cause some long fills. I am figuring out the timing of my fills based on this assumpution. I am also figuring out where the bass goes, so during the fill it is still on 1 and 3, to keep it consistant. Can anyone verify that this is correct or explain how to figure out the timing on fills if I am wrong? My most basic assumption here is that you have to go back to the beat on 1, please let me know if this is right. Thanks very much.

User Info Menu

well yes, landing on one is right. Accept do you mean playing a fill through this whole bar >> 1e and 2e and 3e and 4e and ?

because if you did that would be a longggg fill, if thats what you were explaining i know what you mean.

There are fills that are that long, it all depends on the music behind it though. but most fills (not saying all) but most fills go from 1e and to 2 it all depends on the music behind, but drummina, I assure you, even if you didn't study how fills work, you would still be able to do them later on, it just comes natural after awhile. But its great your studying fills before hand, I just really suck at explaining.

User Info Menu

You can probably start your fill on 3, then it wouldn't be as long.

User Info Menu

Or if you wanted a really really quick one you could start it on 4, but you need good reflexes for that ;p
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, you all understood me and explained yourself fine. Geez, half the battle in drumming is just trying to explain stuff and understand each other. Anyways, I never even thought of starting a fill in the middle to come back on one. Duh. Ha-ha-ha, you should this looonnnggg-*** fill I came up with. I guess it come be some wierd beat. Ha-ha-ha. You guys rock, thanks.

User Info Menu

Yeah it depends on how long you want the fill. You can just start the next set of 16 with a crash on 1. OR Do a 1 beat. Two beat three beat four beat 5 6 7 8 9 . You get the idea You can add halves and quaters etc in there too.

Pretty much so you land on the one. Or If you want to practice what i call Tripped fills . Where you fall into beat two of the next bar. Its always fun once you understand it well :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters