Thread: Back to Square One!

User Info Menu

Default Back to Square One!

Got EC2s for Christmas, just to see... And a Drum Dial as a helper.
    After replacing, tuning & recording I've decided(almost blasphemy!) to go back to my stock heads! They were Sonors by Remo 1 Ply, Ambos, clear. Anybody else think they were missing something using their old heads only to find out the pitfalls of too much G.A.S.? You'll see why if you listen to the recordings of floor tom heads:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iZIE...ature=youtu.be

Can't seem to embed the youtube mp4...I seem to get two same lines of code link, change browsers?
    Last edited by slinglander; 12-27-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: youtube url posting problem
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Back to Square One!

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Got EC2s for Christmas, just to see... And a Drum Dial as a helper.
    After replacing, tuning & recording I've decided(almost blasphemy!) to go back to my stock heads! They were Sonors by Remo 1 Ply, Ambos, clear. Anybody else think they were missing something using their old heads only to find out the pitfalls of too much G.A.S.? You'll see why if you listen to the recordings of floor tom heads:

Can't seem to post the youtube...
    Try this Slinglander. You had "http://" two times back to back in your link.
    Well...OK, after several attempts I got the link in your quote to work but I can't get it to work in my own post. But, I can insert the vid/audio here...

OK, here's the link Slinglander along with the direct vid/audio below.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iZIETuDxr0"]New Project3.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by DrummerD; 12-27-2011 at 09:22 PM.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Great, thanks!
    Sent you an e-mail just before I spotted your last comment...I know, it's all done with magic!
    Last edited by slinglander; 12-27-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: text added

User Info Menu

I don't blame you slingerland. I really prefer the resonance of the stock heads on the sound bite.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

been there, sometimes you go sideways or backwards.
    live and learn

User Info Menu

something else happened during the attempted change-over that helped make it all worthwhile. Discouraging as it may seem, find the positive. It's in there somewhere. I think out of all my drums.......it's the floor tom I have the most trouble with. Still not quite right. My positive was after finally deciding to remove the bottom head completely and found the perfect storage space for a spare snare. Right directly underneath the floor tom on a nice soft towel with the snares OFF. I have tried everything aside from a new shell or messing with the bearing edges ( which would probably result in a new shell )....anyway, whatever I did and however still discouraged I was/am.....this will just have to do !
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Well look at the bright side......you got some spare heads for a gig or if you don't have the time to go out and buy new heads that minute........

And The experiences i've had with G.A.S............Bought much too many bells and blocks, and haven't used any of them in about a year, so they just sit their in a lonly box
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

I'm with you on the EC2. Too much attack and too much of a plastic sound to be ideal for me. They do have their place though.

On my 12" Swingstar tom they sound really nice with G1 res. On my 16" Swingstar floor tom it's too much plastic. No good.

Now, on my 16" Starclassic floor the coated G2 flops too much. The EC2 sounds great.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the EC2's.
    I use them on my Renowns and my Noble & Cooley CD Maples with great success. Using G1 Reso with Drum Dial to 74 on the EC2s for Toms. Very fat sound.
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

I'm going to use them anyway since my stock heads are a bit worn.
    I found that by tuning the EC2s halfway then pressing down until the edges crack a little to seat them and then, continuing to tune they sound much better than originally. I never paid much attention to that bit of tuning, many don't think it's useful but it is with these heavy duty heads! (They dropped down at least two full notes with the pressure, then tuning back up was better.) Maybe you don't have to do that with single ply heads, but it helped tuning the EC2s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I'm going to use them anyway since my stock heads are a bit worn.
    I found that by tuning the EC2s halfway then pressing down until the edges crack a little to seat them and then, continuing to tune they sound much better than originally. I never paid much attention to that bit of tuning, many don't think it's useful but it is with these heavy duty heads! (They dropped down at least two full notes with the pressure, then tuning back up was better.) Maybe you don't have to do that with single ply heads, but it helped tuning the EC2s.
    I was going to say that you won't need as much tension with a two ply head, but sounds like you got er under control!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

EC2's are a pain to get to the exact spot where you need them, at least in my experience. I liked the first clip a slight bit better because I am using single ply heads on all my drums right now too. Stock heads though I dunno if i'd rely on them too much, did not like the overtones and they always seemed to go out of tune too often.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments