Thread: Drummer Rick Allen (Def Leppard)

User Info Menu

Default Drummer Rick Allen (Def Leppard)

I couldnt help but noticing on all of def leppards songs the drums sounded like an electronic kit..and it turns out i was right. Heres what wikipedia says

"After Allen's accident, some unique thinking came into play in order to keep him behind the drum set. Simmons, a company noted for making electronic drum sets, designed a custom kit for Allen. Since electronic drums are little more than "triggers" which sense a hit from a drumstick or the motion of a pedal, Allen's kit was primarily pads in front of him and to his right (to play with his remaining arm), and primarily pedals on his left, which triggered the sound of snare drums and tom-toms. Allen would learn how to play patterns with his right hand and left foot that complete drummers would ordinarily play with their right and left hands. Allen has also experimented with what he calls "technology stunts" using hardware from companies such as ddrum and Acupad.

In more recent years, as the "80s sound" has all but disappeared, Allen's sound would change to a more "acoustic," natural sound, still through the use of samplers. In this case, the samplers were loaded with actual recordings of Allen's acoustic kit, so that in the final mix, it is difficult to tell between the drum sounds in the samplers and the drums actually struck during the performance.

Allen's current setup is custom-manufactured by Whirlwind and Hart Dynamics."

User Info Menu

I hate Def Lepards music but i have a lot of resspect for him because he had the determination to carry on playing despite being an arm short.

Also respect to the rest of the band for letting him play on insted of getting someone else.

User Info Menu

def leppard has good music..

User Info Menu

I admit that I wasn't much of a Def Leppard fan, but I am a huge fan of Rick Allen for having the guts to keep playing after his accident, and of the band for, as you indicated Vinny, having the compassion to allow him to stay with the band. They probably held his self-respect in their hands, after the accident, and they came through for him. To me, that's what this life is all about - caring for one another. Life's too short for any other motive!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!