Thread: Recording a TD-9 to PC

User Info Menu

Default Recording a TD-9 to PC

Soup. I'm relatively new to drumming (I've been playing for about 7/8 months) and next week I'll be picking up my TD-9K2 kit.

I'm completely new to recording but I'd like to start recording what I play to then mix in with videogame music etc. What will I need and how do I do it?

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording a TD-9 to PC

line out to line in on computer with audacity.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat BREADdrum!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Agreed with NR, but welcome to drumchat bread. I actually use a recording interface with my computer, and alongside that I play around with BFD. It's a type of drum sampling software with various add on packs, but it's not to be confused with a Digital Audio Workstation(DAW) which is used to record/mix with the recording interface. Audacity in this instance can act as your DAW- if in the future you want to record sounds other than what the TD-9 offers, you can look into getting one of the various drum sampling programs like BFD or EZDrummer. Hope that helps, and good luck on your journey.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

For starting out I'd keep it relatively simple and use Audacity (a free DAW/ recording software)
    Then plug your line out to the line on your computer.

after you get comfortable with basic recording like that then you can look into midi to usb interfaces and full interfaces with midi connections. this requires you to get a software with midi drum samples and blah blah blah blah blah. right now do the basics and take it one step at a time til you get to the point for needing higher end stuff.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Righto, thanks for the advice guys.

User Info Menu

you can find a lot of video game music from sound tracks online or rip it straight from the game ..with a little DAW magic (record what you hear functions .etc)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    you can find a lot of video game music from sound tracks online or rip it straight from the game ..with a little DAW magic (record what you hear functions .etc)
    I've ripped them off Youtube videos so I have a heap of mp3's ready for me to drum along to and record what I play.

User Info Menu

Hey Bread. Welcome to DC. You can definitely go line in on your computer, however the AD/DA converter in a computer is very low grade. Everyone has brought up great options with MIDI and one of the best things about an E kit is MIDI mapping. It opens a world of possibilities. Also another option is a two channel converter (i.e. M-audio firewire solo, etc) it will allow your two channel 1/4" out to go into the converter and the into the computer with a much better converter than what a computer can offer. Anyway have fun.