Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Lars Ulrich

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    What year was that?
    Nevermind...I think I saw Newstead creep into one of the shots. The bass tone on the opening riff is heinous.

User Info Menu

cool video. It seems it was a few years ago as Lars still had hair there.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I love his engery he puts into the music and every live show. Trust me go to youtube and look up any metallica song live, his not sitting looking bored, his all over the place(ADHD or something).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TonyFreeDrum View Post
    I love his engery he puts into the music and every live show. Trust me go to youtube and look up any metallica song live, his not sitting looking bored, his all over the place(ADHD or something).
    That's the problem, he's all over the place.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

I Love his energy. From the stage to the studio, Lars is always active. He also runs a lot and probly has a curious case of ADHD. But heck I love his drums and drumming

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    wrong.

watch their Behind The Music episode on VH1 Classic and get the facts straight.
    its not my opinion
    Trust me, Lars was never nearly kicked out of his own band.

User Info Menu

That would have been around 99.

User Info Menu

I know this guy is banned and I know it's an old thread but I just had to put my tuppence worth into this cauldron of bullsh*t

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    Mettalica is Lars' band, they tried. he was panned in their infancy for not being able to keep a simple beat.
    1. it's METALLICA
    2. Yes, it is true, James is a better drummer than Lars but in the beginning he could actually play (hence they sold out their shows, even as a small0time covers band playing Motorhead and Misfits tracks).

his father being a retired pro tennis player financed their beginning, you cant fire the checkwriters son.
    Actually, before Lars was a drummer, he was one of the top 15 in the world of pro tennis and he financed a lot of the first albums.

i was born in 1965, as for Napster he fought someone out of his weight class, whens the last time you bought a CD? or an album?
    I was born in 1977, a lot of older metal fans still bought records when Napster was around, this is due to a lot of viruses going about on P2P networking.

it was the shape of things to come, he cried like a ***** and looked like a fool for doing so. alls he had to do was adapt and get his 99 cents per download all over the world without leaving the house.
    If you were him, you'd do the same thing. Hell, you're whinging on this thread.

would you jam with him?
    Yes I would and as a decent drummer (and fan of Metallica) I think he'd listen and like what he heard.

id pay to see him play Lido Shuffle by Boz Skaggs, i doubt he can play a shuffle
    I think he can but has never been called to do it.

Lars Ulrich used to be a great, great metal drummer...
    He has been shown to be a good hard rock drummer, then he had the bright idea to leave his snare off and at the last minute claim he played for it as an effect... But bless his cotton socks, he tries new things.

User Info Menu

I'm on the fence on the subject of whether Lars is a great/good/average/indifferent drummer or not. I like most forms of rock music but don't really 'get' metal so I can't comment knowledgably on the subject. However he is a great showman - not the same as a great musician admittedly but equally, and possibly more important for some people.

On the Napster issue however - when an company uses someone's music to promote sales of their product the artist has to give permission and of course receives a royalty check from that company. Which means of course they have no objection to being associated with that company or product. When Napster gave away free downloads of Metallica's music, to access it you had to visit their site and endure the advertising promoting the products of any Company willing to pay Napster's fees while you were there. That is what Lars had a problem with - not giving away free music, but using Metallica's music to make cash from advertising. Giving an artist no say in what his property is used to promote simply isn't cricket old chap as we might say here in blighty.

How would you feel if you 'made it' into the big time, turned on your radio or TV and discovered your work was being used to promote sales of Cornywheatyoatie breakfast cereal without your knowledge, or consent.

Personally, I agree with Lars' on that one and find it grossly unfair that he's been slated for it ever since.

Sorry - should have quoted a few previous posts but I'm new to this interweb malarkey.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I like most forms of rock music but don't really 'get' metal so I can't comment knowledgably on the subject.
    Just out of curiosity, what don't you get about it?

That is what Lars had a problem with - not giving away free music, but using Metallica's music to make cash from advertising. Giving an artist no say in what his property is used to promote simply isn't cricket old chap as we might say here in blighty.
    Lars had a problem with the P2P aspect - giving away free copies of the music and it was hypocritical considering Metallica were part of the tape trading scene (the analogue version of P2P).

]How would you feel if you 'made it' into the big time, turned on your radio or TV and discovered your work was being used to promote sales of Cornywheatyoatie breakfast cereal without your knowledge, or consent.
    Admittedly that's something I'd hate but I would need the cash, Lars just needs the piece of mind, not the money.

User Info Menu

I really liked the whole napster part of this thread the best. The Lars hatred and Sean Parker lovers. Weird! Okay now my two cents. Lars is a pretty good drummer. He's got style, so much style that kids these days are still ripping off his playing (not his music though). Sean Parker was bankrupt after napster and the whole .99 cents a copy thing came from the senate hearings over artist rights and of intellectual property. Lars Ulrich spearheaded the legal action and gave key testimony to the outcome. He more than Sean Parker is the reason we BUY music the way we do. Napster did not pay any artist for giving away their music until a court order forcing them to reimburse artists for years of using intellectual property without paying for it. Sean Parker lost everything then (ha) and the bulk of his current wealth is from stock in Facebook.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

[QUOTE

Admittedly that's something I'd hate but I would need the cash, Lars just needs the piece of mind, not the money.[/QUOTE]

At what point is someone so rich that giving away their work is necessary in order for us to respect them? Did you complain about Steve Jobs when you bought your Iphone, or Bill Gates when you bought a computer. These men were and are billionaires but they still wanted money for their product. Is that wrong? It's odd to me that people will happily eat a Big Mac while texting on their IPhone behind the wheel of a Prius and hate on one man because he had the gall to ask for .99 cents for his music. This generation believes that musicians give music away and then make money touring and merchandising. If they don't do it for free the next band will and after a while it just becomes the way things are. An entire generation of people that don't know what a sellout is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what don't you get about it?

Lars had a problem with the P2P aspect - giving away free copies of the music and it was hypocritical considering Metallica were part of the tape trading scene (the analogue version of P2P).

Admittedly that's something I'd hate but I would need the cash, Lars just needs the piece of mind, not the money.
    In response to your first question -I'm a bit perplexed as to what constitutes metal as a musical genre - I so have several Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Motorhead Albums (mainly 70's stuff) which I still play after 35 years. I like SOAD and have bought CDs of all their studio releases. The only other stuff I have is freeby Metal CDs given away with Kerrang magazine. I don't really understand what constitutes metal - a lot of it was called "heavy" rock back in the day. My friend Mike falls about laughing when I look at the labels in his shop separating the different styles and have to ask what they mean.

To try to answer your second and third questions together - although Metallica were part of the tape sharing thing I am assuming they were aware of any companies (probably music related) or bands they were associated with by doing this so gave their agreement and would have no reason to complain, so payment or profit was not an issue. The Napster thing - well they could be associated with anyone - I used a fictional breakfast cereal as an example, it could just as easily have been toilet bowl cleaner, online gambling, fast loans (at a percentage rate you initially thought was a telephone number). Sure you get the picture - I think that was the major problem, not the lack of payment.

User Info Menu

I'm a fan of Lars, I like his drumming explosive and thunderous perfectly matched with the bass guitar!

User Info Menu

I don't think I could ever be a Lars fan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skills View Post
    I'm a fan of Lars, I like his drumming explosive and thunderous perfectly matched with the bass guitar!
    He's a good drummer. Not my style but appreciate the fact that you like him. Welcome again to the forum.

User Info Menu

i like him, i don't dislike any drummer for there playing.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Last edited by slinky; 01-20-2015 at 04:25 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I just went back and read through this whole thread. Wow, some people sure can turn into complete trolls when it comes to hiding behind a web browser. I am surprised it hasn't been locked.

Lars for the most part is a decent drummer in his own right. He fits Metallica's style and that's about all that matters in my opinion. Love him or hate him, he's still Metallica's drummer. I don't think there are any other drummers out there that could match his style for what Metallica plays. If he were replaced, I'm sure their fans would be able to tell in an instant.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I just went back and read through this whole thread. Wow, some people sure can turn into complete trolls when it comes to hiding behind a web browser. I am surprised it hasn't been locked.

Lars for the most part is a decent drummer in his own right. He fits Metallica's style and that's about all that matters in my opinion. Love him or hate him, he's still Metallica's drummer. I don't think there are any other drummers out there that could match his style for what Metallica plays. If he were replaced, I'm sure their fans would be able to tell in an instant.
    OK then, I won't say anything bad about him. I do find Metallica extremely repetitive and boring!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    OK then, I won't say anything bad about him. I do find Metallica extremely repetitive and boring!
    Read my post again. It was pretty generalized. I never said I liked him nor did I say I was a fan. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Say anything you want!

All I am saying is, he fit's Metallica's sound. If they were to replace him, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sound like Metallica any longer.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I respect Lars for what he did back in the day (80's), he was sort of a visionary back then in starting up that whole new thrash genre (yes I know, other bands was also doing it, but Metallica was one of the first), and the driving force for the band to do greater things. He was also one of my biggest influences for getting into metal in the 90's, when I started out drumming. Thrash and variations of thrash is still my favorite genre today, but I have a hard time digging on the new Metallica albums, and the way they perform live today. They were my favorite band back in the days, but now I don't even bother to see them live when they come to my part of the world. Lars is sloppy and not in any way creative, and the lack of a ride cymbal baffles me. You can do so much cool stuff incorporating a ride cymbal in metal, and it would make the drumming more interesting than just bashing the hi-hat and a china.

Any way, that's my rant for today . A part of me hope that Metallica, and Lars, will find a way back into making something good, or great, once again. I won't hold my breath, however...

Pearl Masters BCX in Piano Black (birch), 22x18"x2/10x8"/12x9"/13x10"/14x14"/16x16"
    Snares: 14x6" Tama Starphonic Bronze, 13x5" Mapex Black Panther DL Cherry Bomb
    Paiste cymbals, Vic Firth sticks, Evans heads

User Info Menu

His playing really has gone downhill especially now. In the 80s, especially on Master of Puppets and …And Justice for All he really was on top of his game.

On the load albums in 1996/1997 he actually had some groove - incorporated some hihat lifts and actually used a ride!

Now he has been reduced to the point where he can't replicate his own material so he negates himself to sloppy hihat and china play. It's too bad because he definitely had the resources to get training and improve his craft but he is more of the business/marketing of Metallica than anything else.

User Info Menu

I don't know what it is but his playing has definitely declined. Maybe he's lazy or maybe it's because he's going on 100, but watching him these days is sad. Like seeing a toothless tiger. I was there though and I remember '87 at Rich Stadium, '88 at Syracuse War Memorial and Weedsport Speedway, '90 at Weedsport again, '93 at Woodstock II. I'm 44 now and still on top of my game, but I am always wary of the day when it begins to slip and wondering just exactly how I will deal with that.

User Info Menu

Ok, clearly mixed opinions here about playing and dedication to drumming. My view is that he chose to focus on the PR aspect and production of the band rather than on exceptional drumming. I feel he's right at home on the ...And Justice album with all those odd time beats. Definitely masks any lack of timing he may inherently have.
    Late 90's Premier APK in White Heat
    11x12 Power Tom
    12x13 Power Tom
    13x14 Power Tom
    16x16 Floor Tom
    2X (22x16) Bass Drums

Looking for 10X9 Power Tom (White)