Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Lars Ulrich

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lars Ulrich

aww crap!

im staying out of this...... i know better now.

edit: that snare sounds out of tune. A DULL THUD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    aww crap!

im staying out of this...... i know better now.

edit: that snare sounds out of tune. A DULL THUD
    I've never liked Lars' drum tones. It always sounds like he's hitting a bunch of trash cans. No disrespect to his playing...I just hate the sound of his drums.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I've never liked Lars' drum tones. It always sounds like he's hitting a bunch of trash cans. No disrespect to his playing...I just hate the sound of his drums.
    I liked his old Artstar kit better. Deeper and fatter sound, louder but seemed to have a stronger thump in the toms and kick, but with a lot of crack and body on snare. A bit of a triggered kick deal, but otherwise not too bad.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I was looking at the earlier posts in this thread and WOW... Heated discussion 101

User Info Menu

Just to clear something up, about the whole "Lars getting kicked out" controversy...

It's true, James wasn't so sure about playing with him anymore, and they were going to get rid of him on 2 occasions. First, was when they were first starting, James had jammed with him, and they were going to keep looking but then Lars came with an opportunity to jump on a compilation album in the Bay area, That is why they originally stuck with him... Secondly it's been said by former members of the band, that they had discussed possibly kicking him out after the Master of Puppets tour, but then decided against it, or it was never brought up again after cliff died.

I love Metallica, and I love Lars, I just wish he'd practice with a metronome once in a while lol. It's disappointing seeing him live. I think he's fun though, and great for the band especially in other aspects.

User Info Menu

Wow...a year + and this thread is still going!

My take on Lars goes something like this...

He was a pioneer back in the day, but not a great drummer in my opinion, and I don't think I've ever heard him play using any dynamics at all. It's either volume at 11 or rests. He fits his band well, and they've put out some great songs over the years...up until the black album. I haven't heard a single song of theirs I've liked since. I saw them live back in 94 or so, and it still reigns as one of the worst shows I've ever seen in my life.

Lars and his band lost my respect once they started to taste real commercial success. If you can find it, watch their video "Cliff 'Em All," read some of their interviews prior to 1990 and compare/contrast all of that with what they became.

User Info Menu

i saw them play Enter Sandman on the Jules Holland show today and the timing in that song fluctuated more than a dozen times in 5 minutes. His fills were extremely sloppy and he wasn't tasteful. Now I respect the fact that he is a professional and a very successful one at that. But Jesus practice a little, he is a horrible musician. You can argue opinions all you want but if you consider yourself a good drummer or musician its pretty easy to tell hes not very good at his craft.
    | PORK PIE CUSTOM DRUMS | SABIAN CYMBALS | DW 9000 HARDWARE/PEDALS | EVANS DRUMHEADS | VIC FIRTH STICKS | WOODSHED KICK HEADS |

User Info Menu

What's the difference between Lars Ulrich and a bucket of crap?

The bucket!
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_d View Post
    What's the difference between Lars Ulrich and a bucket of crap?

The bucket!
    If Lars Ulrich got stuck in sand...The Cats would bury him
    | PORK PIE CUSTOM DRUMS | SABIAN CYMBALS | DW 9000 HARDWARE/PEDALS | EVANS DRUMHEADS | VIC FIRTH STICKS | WOODSHED KICK HEADS |

User Info Menu

Ok so you dont like Lars and thats fine. But there are many people that do. So kindly keep the childish comments to yourself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Ok so you dont like Lars and thats fine. But there are many people that do. So kindly keep the childish comments to yourself.
    You're right. I apologize. Back on topic... Did you hear what Lars Ulrich dressed up as for Halloween? A musician I'm here all week, be sure to tip your waitresses.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

User Info Menu

Seriously? Its just all in good fun. I see you are from Canada. Should we discuss Nickelback instead?

User Info Menu

You're right. I apologize. Back on topic... Did you hear what Lars Ulrich dressed up as for Halloween? A musician I'm here all week, be sure to tip your waitresses.
    Now that's funny.

User Info Menu

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by localdrummerweb View Post
    Seriously? Its just all in good fun. I see you are from Canada. Should we discuss Nickelback instead?

The moment you sell half, heck a tenth as many cd's as they have you go right ahead.

But until then you might want to read the forum rules.

User Info Menu

The moment you sell half, heck a tenth as many cd's as they have you go right ahead.

But until then you might want to read the forum rules.
    Read the rules? If you can't express your opinion on this forum I don't care to be a part of it. Good Lord people its all in good fun. As for CD sales we all know that doesn't make you a good/great musician. It just makes you rich!

User Info Menu

hahahah i say stuff like that to people when they try to give me "constructive critisism" about how i write my music. i ask, "what band are you in? and how many albums do you have?"

dont get heated guys, everyone is indeed entitled to their opinion, i mean it is a discussion forum.

you are both right, lars is a good drummer and he has made wayyy more money than alot of people while doing it. but yes, quite a few tracks that ive heard from him get a little rough. that only tells me that the music is real, and not pumped up with triggers or computers.

User Info Menu

im getting a warm fuzzy feeling yet i got lambasted a year ago over Lars.

Lars is poopy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    im getting a warm fuzzy feeling yet i got lambasted a year ago over Lars.

Lars is poopy
    I think Lars is the Justin Bieber of his day. I know, I know that's a pretty serious insult...... to Justin.

User Info Menu

I think Lars is the Justin Bieber of his day. I know, I know that's a pretty serious insult...... to Justin.
    EL. OH. EL. haha.

User Info Menu

Actually, Justin can play drums pretty well. He's not the greatest but neither is Lars. So that insult was spot on lol

DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Funniest thread I've read through in a while!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Actually, Justin can play drums pretty well. He's not the greatest but neither is Lars. So that insult was spot on lol

The whole time he's playing the great Anton Fig is shaking a tambourine thinking this must be a joke!

User Info Menu

Well, you can't say he doesn't put on a show!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Well, you can't say he doesn't put on a show!

What year was that?