Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lars Ulrich

User Info Menu

Default Lars Ulrich

Born December 26th 1963 in Denmark, moved to San Francisco at age 16. Put ad in local newspaper The Recycler looking for a guitarist to jam with
    Founded Metallica 1981

More Famous Drummers
    Last edited by jnoble; 12-29-2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: picture link didnt work

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lars Ulrich

They can`t be any other drummer in all of metal music who is loved or loathed as much as Lars.

Why don`t they like him.?

Is it because they don`t like his drumming or is it because Metallica aren't the band they were in the early years.?.Or is it the whole Napster thing.?

I don`t know..i am bored of asking questions.I like his drumming though,his playing fitted perfectly with the rhythm guitar of James to produce some of the best metal songs ever.

Nice one Lars.

User Info Menu

I personally like Lars. Sure, he doesn't play at 250 bpm, or constantly mash on the double bass, but I can't see where many of Metallica's songs would call for it. I'm with balanced, his playing fits the music. It follows the rhythm.

He's in one of the most successful metal bands ever, so lets just all enjoy it. Except St Anger....

User Info Menu

Can't believe he's only been posted.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

He's also quite notably a good sound man, perhaps even better than he is a drummer. I like his stage antics and raw energy behind the kit, good post.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Large Oilrig (as I like to call him ) is probably the most loved or hated drummer around (more that Travis Barker!). I wont say what side I come down on....

My favourite Talica tune

Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

hes a terrible drummer, he almost got kicked out of the band for sucking, but his dad financed the whole deal
    drums like a turd.
    ive never heard a parradiddle, or even a flam out of the guy.
    he looks like hes taking a dump in that pic
    i shall take a phrase from Spinal Tap " treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality"
    im almost sure he pays retail for his Tamas
    uberdouche!!!!
    wow! that was harsh, i should be a critic for Rolling Stone
    trash me all you want, he truly sucks
    i loved the look on his face when Jethro Tull won best metal album ages ago, serves you right antinapster ****tard
    Last edited by kyle102565; 12-31-2011 at 08:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Really? The napster thing was almost 20yrs ago. Most of you werent even born when it happened. Also 99% of the people are completely ignorant on what the napster thing was about.
    As for firing him, Im pretty sure that if he sucked as much as you say, they could afford to get rid of him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Really? The napster thing was almost 20yrs ago. Most of you werent even born when it happened. Also 99% of the people are completely ignorant on what the napster thing was about.
    As for firing him, Im pretty sure that if he sucked as much as you say, they could afford to get rid of him.
    Mettalica is Lars' band, they tried. he was panned in their infancy for not being able to keep a simple beat. watch Behind The Music Remastered, they have a snipet about it, he was a roadblock. his father being a retired pro tennis player financed their beginning, you cant fire the checkwriters son.
    i was born in 1965, as for Napster he fought someone out of his weight class, whens the last time you bought a CD? or an album? it was the shape of things to come, he cried like a ***** and looked like a fool for doing so. alls he had to do was adapt and get his 99 cents per download all over the world without leaving the house. plus hes just an ahole, hes always pitching a fit to the rest of the band about what to play, his dad listens to the tracks and advises him on what to do and thats the final word, zero collaboration. would you jam with him?
    id pay to see him play Lido Shuffle by Boz Skaggs, i doubt he can play a shuffle

"anyone can play loud and fast" Fat Ron, Scotch Plains Music 1987
    Last edited by kyle102565; 12-31-2011 at 01:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Dude, I think anyone would be ticked off at napster if your music was stolen from the studio and allowed to be downloaded off the internet for free.

User Info Menu

Really? You really think his dad still approves the tracks? Come on wake up. If he was that terrible that record company would have gotten rid of him the moment they were signed. VH1's behind the music isnt exactly a reliable source.
    Napster had nothing to do with Metallicas music being given away for free, or about fans filesharing. Metallica has always encouraged fans bootlegging. The problem was that napster was selling advertising on thier sight, and Metallica didnt like them making money off thier work.
    I dont care if you like the guy or not, but please get your facts straight.

User Info Menu

He is known for having a bit of a rough attitude, but I don't think I would call him a bad drummer by any extent. He's not as technical as some others, but he still rocks out pretty hard. I never really thought about that other stuff revolving around him, I just think Metallica rocks a good show. If someone was stealing my music and thus my living, I would definitely react to that. I don't know if I would be able to keep my usual cool demeanor about things, I think certain certain actions would be taken and I don't blame him musician to musician for doing this. I sense this thread taking a turn for the worst, perhaps it's best to let the napster thing go before it gets locked?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

The closest I have gotten to a Metallica concert was DVD. That whole band plays at 200% for hours on end. That's gotta count for something.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    One thing I have learned in life is what we as musicians like to play and hear is totally different than what the general public likes to hear. Lars has tapped into this aspect and makes a ton of money. )
    Really? Not all musicians are like that.

User Info Menu

There are exceptions to all rules.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    Dude, I think anyone would be ticked off at napster if your music was stolen from the studio and allowed to be downloaded off the internet for free.
    do you play for money or for the fun of bringing music to the ears?
    i do believe you can download Mettalica tracks for 99 cents, i doubt Lars is complaining now. o how he must suffer from the thousands he lost.
    if you were in Sean Parkers shoes youd think differently, he raised 50K to start Napster as a teenager making over 80K a year working for the CIA, he revolutionized the music industry. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs (RIP) wished they had the balls he did.
    Lars was a fool lacking foresight.
    google Lars Ulrich Sucks, im not alone in my opinion

User Info Menu

How is that even a rule? Its elitist musician crap. Its the attitude of the out of work musician standing at the back of the bar critiquing the guy on stage earning a living.

User Info Menu

Im not angry at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    do you play for money or for the fun of bringing music to the ears?
    i do believe you can download Mettalica tracks for 99 cents, i doubt Lars is complaining now. o how he must suffer from the thousands he lost.
    if you were in Sean Parkers shoes youd think differently, he raised 50K to start Napster as a teenager making over 80K a year working for the CIA, he revolutionized the music industry. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs (RIP) wished they had the balls he did.
    Lars was a fool lacking foresight.
    google Lars Ulrich Sucks, im not alone in my opinion
    Sean Parker tried to make money selling other peoples property. That makes him a thief.

User Info Menu

Sean Parker tried to make money selling other peoples property. That makes him a thief.
    a thief who changed how we buy music. a billionaire.
    the music industry was a hallway full of scum of the earth who would kill you for the Casio watch on your wrist, and they were the good guys.
    yeah he was a thief. cripes
    if its in the airwaves its a grey area. if you had the op youd have done the same thing.
    in closing, who won between Mettalica and Napster?
    certainly not Lars
    Last edited by kyle102565; 12-31-2011 at 02:41 PM.

User Info Menu

a thief who changed how we buy music. a billionaire.
    the music industry was a hallway full of scum of the earth who would kill you for the Casio watch on your wrist, and they were the good guys.
    yeah he was a thief. cripes
    And people think Im angry.
    Please go back and research what was actually said. Lars had nothing
    against file sharing. If napster hadnt sold advertising Metallica wouldnt have cared.
    Like I said I dont care if you like him or not, just get yout facts straight.

User Info Menu

And people think Im angry.
    Please go back and research what was actually said. Lars had nothing
    against file sharing. If napster hadnt sold advertising Metallica wouldnt have cared.
    Like I said I dont care if you like him or not, just get yout facts straight.
    im trying to have a decent debate and you have been a great opponent. my facts are straight

I wish that I was more...you know, I felt kind of ambushed by the whole thing because I didn't really know enough about what we were getting ourselves into when we jumped. [...] We didn't know enough about the kind of grassroots thing, and what had been going on the last couple of months in the country as this whole new phenomenon was going on. We were just so stuck in our controlling ways of wanting to control everything that had to do with Metallica. So we were caught off guard and we had a little bit of a rougher landing on that one than on other times than when we just blindly leaped. But you know, I'm still proud of the fact that we did leap... and I took a lot of hits and it was difficult.
    Lars Ulrich
    peace

User Info Menu

im trying to have a decent debate and you have been a great opponent. my facts are straight

I wish that I was more...you know, I felt kind of ambushed by the whole thing because I didn't really know enough about what we were getting ourselves into when we jumped. [...] We didn't know enough about the kind of grassroots thing, and what had been going on the last couple of months in the country as this whole new phenomenon was going on. We were just so stuck in our controlling ways of wanting to control everything that had to do with Metallica. So we were caught off guard and we had a little bit of a rougher landing on that one than on other times than when we just blindly leaped. But you know, I'm still proud of the fact that we did leap... and I took a lot of hits and it was difficult.
    Lars Ulrich
    peace
    What does all this even mean? I don't speak Ulrich!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    What does all this even mean? I don't speak Ulrich!
    my point exactly

User Info Menu

That just shows they acknowledged the public out cry. That doesnt say why the lawsuit was started. If I get home and on my computer Ill find the articles Im referring to. Its just a complete pain to do so on my android.