Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringo Starr - Famous Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ringo Starr

I love those black n white videos where they would turn there equipment around every so often to play to the crowd on the other side of the hall.
    You can see how hard Ringo was playing trying to outplay the screams from the crowd (girls).

They were amazing but only to a few billion people I guess. It's intresting that the general length of one of there shows was only around 30 to 45 minutes!
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Ringo Starr

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I love those black n white videos where they would turn there equipment around every so often to play to the crowd on the other side of the hall.
    You can see how hard Ringo was playing trying to outplay the screams from the crowd (girls).

They were amazing but only to a few billion people I guess. It's intresting that the general length of one of there shows was only around 30 to 45 minutes!
    Yes but they did play their hearts out for the 30-45 minutes

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ringo Starr - Famous Drummers

The Beatles' "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" together with Frank Zappa and The Mothers Of Invention's "Freak Out" album as well as The Beach Boy's "Pet Sounds" were where progressive rock music had it's roots. Without that, an entire genre of music would never have come about. And without progressive rock, punk rock wouldn't have come about as a reaction to that. So there's some food for thought.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 06-10-2012 at 07:56 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    The Beatles' "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" together with Frank Zappa and The Mothers Of Invention's "Freak Out" album as well as The Beach Boy's "Pet Sounds" were where progressive rock music had it's roots. Without that, an entire genre of music would never have come about. And without progressive rock, punk rock wouldn't have come about as a reaction to that. So there's some food for thought.
    I think of all the albums you name Sgt Peppers is probably the best and most influencial of all. Was never into Zappa too weird and the Beach well that is something else LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I think of all the albums you name Sgt Peppers is probably the best and most influencial of all. Was never into Zappa too weird and the Beach well that is something else LOL
    Oh I love them all, weird or not so weird. But hey, I'm cool with what other people think. If we all had the same tastes then none of us would be individuals.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

The Beatles turn 50 today. At least that's what USAToday has on thier front page.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ringo Starr

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    That's a shame on both counts! LOL

all the best...
    LOL! that was funny!

And No guys, don't get me wrong. I dont HATE the Beatles. I appreciate ALL music. However, I just never got into it. I just think that my generation is too "hipster". Everyone thinks its SOOOO COOOOL to like The Beatles because they did drugs and they want to be different by liking them, and they dont know a single thing about the beatles... I do like the idea that they were pretty much happy as hell though, hahaha!

I'm more of a harder rock/punky kind of guy, its not a personal thing
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

I just think that my generation is too "hipster". Everyone thinks its SOOOO COOOOL to like The Beatles because they did drugs and they want to be different by liking them, and they dont know a single thing about the beatles.

Agree. A bunch of posers!

I gotta tell though that guys like Pearl and myself were alive throughout Beatlemania and we can attest that there was no other time in music than that time. They were the catylist of a whole social and cultural shift.

Their music probably wouldn't work today. You gotta go for what you like.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I gotta tell though that guys like Pearl and myself were alive throughout Beatlemania and we can attest that there was no other time in music than that time. They were the catylist of a whole social and cultural shift.

Their music probably wouldn't work today.
    Agreed: I Loved thru it. But....Didn't care for the WHO!!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I lived through it as I've posted before.

The Stones and the Who were way better bands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I lived through it as I've posted before.

The Stones and the Who were way better bands.
    +1 -- Love THE WHO! KEITH MOON! yes :D
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Agreed- Who and Stones better bands, eventually. Known as the "bad boys" of the time.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT

User Info Menu

These discussions are interesting in that nobody did band/ talent comparisons prior to the "British Invasion" bands. So, could the Beach Boys out-play the Ventures? Was Bobby Vinton as good as the Tokens? Was Buddy Rich's band better than Dorsey's? In general, these questions never came up, that I can remember. You liked them or you didn't, usually based on the songs they did, worse yet, the "danceability" of the music!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzetto View Post
    +1 -- Love THE WHO! KEITH MOON! yes :D

Don't know how the put this gracefully, but, the truth is that the Who became a better band after Moon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    These discussions are interesting in that nobody did band/ talent comparisons prior to the "British Invasion" bands. So, could the Beach Boys out-play the Ventures? Was Bobby Vinton as good as the Tokens? Was Buddy Rich's band better than Dorsey's? In general, these questions never came up, that I can remember. You liked them or you didn't, usually based on the songs they did, worse yet, the "danceability" of the music!

They did in a way. There were battles of the bands going back at least as far as Chick Webbs band, who would take on anybody.

As for the Beach Boys vs The Ventures, maybe the better comparison would be the Beach Boys at their height vs the 4 Seasons at their height or Dion and the Belmonts, or the Ventures vs the Safaris.

I was not a Vinton fan, but he had more success than the Tokens, who were pretty much one hit wonders. Maybe the better comparison would be, was Vinton better than Gene Pitney or Roy Orbison.

Buddy's band from the 60's through the 80's, was way more technically advanced than Dorsey's, but you can never underestimate the popularity of Dorseys band in their day. My mother would talk of going to the Paramount to see Dorsey with the skinny guy from Hoboken (whatever was his name) and all the girls screaming their heads off.

Sling, I am in no way arguing with you, there could be a lot of interesting comparisons of bands, groups, singers, from the past.

Even though the Supremes had way more hits, I always thought Martha and the Vandellas was a "better" group, and I haven't heard a group past or present, that had the "coolness" of the Drifters.

I was just listening to Jay and the Americans singing "Come a little bit closer" maybe 15 minutes ago. Sure brought back some memories.

I had dinner with our manager last week. He called me after he found out I was moving. The mans kicking 80 now, and we had a ball talking about things that happened 40 years ago. We played in probably a 1/2 dozen Battles of the Bands back then. In those days, you would have 2 bands on a stage in a church hall or high school auditorium and you would alternate songs and the people would choose who was the best. In 3-4 of them, there would be a battle of the drummers, I guess because we are the most visual. They don't do it like that today.

Times sure have changed. It's still a business, but, I think we had more fun back then.

User Info Menu

For all you naay sayers out there. Many of them could not even come close to copying his parts correctly. they fit the music perfectly. but I admit I am biased. There are drummers, musicians, and musicians who play drums, so I can understand when some drummers don't get it.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    For all you naay sayers out there. Many of them could not even come close to copying his parts correctly. they fit the music perfectly. but I admit I am biased. There are drummers, musicians, and musicians who play drums, so I can understand when some drummers don't get it.

Don't get what?

User Info Menu

I am just saying that some drummers are not as musically inclined as others and don't understand how certain fills, grooves, and rest fit the music or songs. The Beatles had some very clever arrangements and I think Ringo's playing and what he played fit perfect. I am also sure the songwriters had a hand in a lot of his parts. I know producers and songwriters have told me what and how to play different parts and fills before. I was speaking in general. Some drummers are really oblivious to the music and just plow through a song.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

"Some drummers are really oblivious to the music and just plow through a song"

True, but they usually don't last very long.

User Info Menu

It's said kieth Moon loved the Beach Boys when he first heard them.

Doesn't matter what band/drummer was better than that band/drummer. It was a special time/era. I will use the word ''lucky'' loosely because the industry was so different. I like to think more "ground breaking". There weren't thousands and thousands of bands trying to make it. It wasn't till after (when all those classic bands made thier classic songs) that bands by the thousands started trying to copy the sound and look.

What's so cool about youtube is now you can see all kinds of bands (some good!) that never made it big and that nobody really ever knew exsisted because there was no way to know them. Especially from Europe. After Black Sabbath e.g. there were hundreds of bands copying there sound and look. It's fun to find videos of unknown 60's and 70's bands that were out there.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Ringo was always a little off beat, he was a lefty playing a righthanded kit.
    i still love watching "A Hard Days Night" when Ringo goes AWOL and hes taking his own picture by the river with a string on the shutter, he pulls it and the camera flops into the water, funny stuff.

User Info Menu

There are drummers, musicians, and musicians who play drums, so I can understand when some drummers don't get it.
    I had to read this thru a couple of times to get the meaning, but yes, totally true. There are the (look at me, aren't I great!?) type drummers where the other instruments merely serve as back drops to their drumming prowess.
    Then there are the drummers whose parts are a part of the whole. Ringo was certainly in this category. If you were to change anything of their sound it would not have been the same. Voices guitars, drums, whatever.
    I listen to their melodies and bridges and I'm like... whoa!! How'd they ever come up with that?
    For example the choral section section on Hey Jude. A bunch of people together in a room just can't help singing along when they hear that part.
    That requires a unigue talent to compose music like that.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I'm going to see him in concert tonight. Can't Wait!!!!!!
    I have an insane admiration and respect for the craft that is drumming and I have a never-ending desire to be the best i can possibly be. I dont play drums or practice because I have to, I play because I can't help it. ~ Cobus Potgieter ~

User Info Menu

You will see what the fuss is all about of Ringo. You will be amazed at his drumming. Hope you enjoy and please let us know what you think. Have fun

User Info Menu

I grew up listening to music from the '60's, so I became a fan of the Beatles at a fairly young age. I've read a lot of books about the Beatles, so I also know a fair amount about the band. You could call Ringo's story a "Cinderella story" in more ways than one:

He was born and raised in what would probably be called extreme poverty today. His father deserted him and his mother when he was about 2, and his mother had to work very hard to support him. Ringo grew up in one of the worst sections of Liverpool. In addition, he suffered numerous health problems (he nearly died when his appendix ruptured when he was about 8), and he was forced to drop out of school. His mother remarried when he was in his preteens or early teens. It was his stepfather who bought him his first drum kit. Of all the Beatles he was the worst off as a kid.

Ringo is considered to be one of the most popular Beatles. I read that during the scene in A Hard Day's Night when Ringo got one letter compared to a large number the others got, cries of "awwww" could be heard in the theaters, followed by cheers when a bunch more letters arrived just for Ringo.