Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Ringo Starr - Famous Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ringo Starr - Famous Drummers

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer1966 View Post
    slinky, I would say that Ringo, Charlie Watts and Dino Danelli ( Rascals) were the guys that influenced me to play Drums in 1965-66 at 15 years old. But the greatest appreciation of the sounds of Ringo came much later by really Listening to him play. During the era of hearing Drum Solos from every band, Ringo (and Charlie) never did! Ringo gave you a short simple one on the White Album, but that was it. Unlike the Bakers, Moons, Bonhams, Copelands, etc.
    I watched a drum solo last night and it was way too long. I couldn't finish watching it. It's hard to pull off a good one. The guys with quick hands and feet have an advantage I think. They can do more in less time so it might hold a person's attention more.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I think a drummer's greatest value is in laying down a groove ,not his ability to solo. I can solo, if put on the spot, but would rather not.
    Last edited by slanddad; 06-28-2023 at 11:33 AM.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I watched a drum solo last night and it was way too long. I couldn't finish watching it. It's hard to pull off a good one. The guys with quick hands and feet have an advantage I think. They can do more in less time so it might hold a person's attention more.
    That's it right there. The more facility (chops) a drummer has, the more tools he has to work with not only for drum solos but for self-expression around the kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slanddad View Post
    I think a drummer's greatest value is in laying down a groove ,not his ability to solo.
    Absolutely! We're sidemen first and foremost.

User Info Menu

I'm with you guys, some, any how. lol. I don't solo nor do I like to. I groove. My fills speak what I'm sayin'.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

"I think a drummer's greatest value is in laying down a groove ,not his ability to solo. I can solo, if put on the spot, but would rather not".

A good drummer should be able to do both. In the early '70's at jams up in Harlem you would have a player snap his fingers to give you the tempo he wanted and some would say they like a lot of drums, to hit all the spots and some would say to stay in the windows.

Be able to do both!!!
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

You have to learn to play for the song. Most songs don't have solo's. Back in the day I played with guys who sang in the 30's, 40's and 50's, I usually didn't know what they were going to do, so I would have to ask" Swing, Blues,Polka,Waltz,Shuffle,Whatever?" I learned pretty quick you need the "feel" for each song. I would tell them to start off the song then jump in and off we would go.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums