Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Ringo Starr - Famous Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ringo Starr - Famous Drummers

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    What amazes me the most about the Beatles were their song writing abilities, harmonies and musical maturity at such young ages. Ringo just fit perfectly into this combination of friends/musicians that became the Beatles.
    I'm a bit embarrassed about my comments from 2015 a few pages back. Good thing we can still evolve, lol. I love Ringo's playing now and have a great respect for his contribution to drumming. I wasn't that into Beatles years back. Now, I can't get enough of them. So many great songs!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I'm a bit embarrassed about my comments from 2015 a few pages back. Good thing we can still evolve, lol. I love Ringo's playing now and have a great respect for his contribution to drumming. I wasn't that into Beatles years back. Now, I can't get enough of them. So many great songs!
    Back in the day I was never a real Beatles fan. I enjoyed a few of their earlier songs. I gained so much more appreciation for them when I started playing guitar. When you can see/feel and hear the chord arrangements and the way the vocals flowed over it, it really opened my eyes and ears to the writing and creative ability they possessed.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That’s awesome Tom!
    I have evolved too and respect another’s opinion. That’s why there is diversity.

User Info Menu

It’s awesome to hear that an accomplished drummer like yourself can still, and does, evolve in their opinions and taste where their craft is concerned.
    I would love to hear more about your new opinion on his playing and their music...and why you feel you had the change of heart. Was it something you heard on hear or read that made you reconsider? Was it just getting older that made your taste in music change? Do you think it’s made you change or effect your own style? I think it would make a good lesson for all of us and help us all look at things from a different perspective and evolve as drummers in our own right.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

It's interesting how little people today know about the Beatles or the times when they appeared. At the time they invaded America there was a disimal pall that was overshadowing everywhere due to Kennedy's assasination.

The Beatles brought fun, excitement, energy, comedy, and good music which uplifted the whole country. Yes, there were a few naysayers out there who with thier pessimistic views on everything tried to put them down. But, the Beatles were a force that could not be denied. Were they good? Yes, they were very good. Inerestingly enough, they were actually the bad boys of rock n' roll whereas the Rolling Stones were actually the good boys. But, because of the way they dressed it gave the appearance that it was the opposite.

What is important in music is saying your message in a musical way due to the fact that it is music. The Beatles were masters of that. They were tight and rocked. It is true that over the years, they toned down the rock part. But, you will find that most groups that are successful, that last for anytime, eventually tone down their music. Take Metallica for example. Anyone who knows and has followed Metallica knows exactly what I am talking about. The Rolling stones started out as a bluesrock band and eventually dropped the blues part altogether.

The Beatles honed their ability to rock in Hamburg, Germany. At first Pete Best was playing with the Beatles, but then Ringo replaced him. They played grueling all night sets and daytime jam session, seven days a week. If you play like that, especially with the competion trying to outplay you - like Rory Storm for example - you have a choice: get good or get fired. They got good.

Ringo had his own style of playing, and it showed on the songs that came out on the albums. Was Ringo a good drummer. He was an excellant drummer for the genre he was playing. If someone were to try to compare him to Elvin Jones or Tony Williams then I could understand that there would be some dissimilarity in their playing styles. But, if you question whether Ringo could play the right thing at the right time to get the right sound for the music, then Ringo was spot-on. Was he a great drummer. I say yes, for the music he played and the way he played it, he was a great drummer. As for what he is doing now, I can't say because after the Beatles White album they seemed to go down hill and evaporate each going their seperate ways not really producing anything of the quality that they produced together as "the Beatles", in my opinion. Could he and they "Rock"? Judge for yourself.
    Last edited by aboveforever; 04-18-2020 at 06:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Back in the day, they all clapped correctly. Today, it's a free for all.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

She Said, She Said - Isolated bass and drums

User Info Menu

With the new Disney + special about The Beatles (9 Hours?); spying Ringo's cymbals has been fun.

Left cymbal says "Medium Ride" on it. Looks to be a Paiste Formula 602. (around timestamp 2.10.00 - ish Ep. 2)

Yet to work out what the right cymbal and hats are that he is using in this session.

This 'special' about The Beatles is absolutely mind blowing. Loving it.

Hi-Hats look to be Paiste Formula 602's as well. (Ep. 3 10.01)
    Last edited by EyePea; 11-30-2021 at 11:37 PM. Reason: typos

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

602's?. i have nothing against those cymbals but for a guy that can have any cymbal under the sun it seems like an odd choice.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Ep. 2 2.11 There is a Zilco Cymbal ad sitting on the piano.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I’d like to see that movie.
    A trailer …

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????
    Is that a question or did some smooth tasty substance get your ? key sticky?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Is that a question or did some smooth tasty substance get your ? key sticky?
    Combination of the 2.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Hard to believe Ringo is still going this strong at 82. Impressive!

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-on-in-his-80s

User Info Menu

Hey Tom, I don’t mean to cut into your post but can you help me. My laptop is driving me nuts and will not let me log in.
    Rick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slanddad View Post
    Hey Tom, I don’t mean to cut into your post but can you help me. My laptop is driving me nuts and will not let me log in.
    Hey Rick,
    Just reset your password and it should work.

User Info Menu

Still no luck
    Rick

User Info Menu

Still no luck
    Thanks Tom, working again
    Rick

User Info Menu

Tom, did you get a chance to see him last year? It was a pretty good show.
    Rick

User Info Menu

Tom, did you get a chance to see him last year? It was a pretty good show.
    No, unfortunately I missed it.

User Info Menu

Besides hearing some Beatles songs around the house growing up, my real introduction to them was when I got out of the Army in 89. That summer I went to the library of a junior college trying to figure out what was next for my life. Didn't take long to find the music section and a Beatles book. I went every day until I finished the book then listened to all the records and really got into them for awhile. My brother 7 years older than me had all their records and he let me borrow the CD's. It was fun learning about Ringo and the rest.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Drummer, I recently saw a Late Night show interview with Ringo. He look astounding for 81 (at that time). He said that he eats Broccoli EveryDay !! Clean eater. Got rid of Cigs many years ago, eats simply good food - no Junk. If you look up his early life, you will find that he was very sickly kid, and nearly died from a ruptured appendix which put him onto a Coma for months!!

User Info Menu

slinky, I would say that Ringo, Charlie Watts and Dino Danelli ( Rascals) were the guys that influenced me to play Drums in 1965-66 at 15 years old. But the greatest appreciation of the sounds of Ringo came much later by really Listening to him play. During the era of hearing Drum Solos from every band, Ringo (and Charlie) never did! Ringo gave you a short simple one on the White Album, but that was it. Unlike the Bakers, Moons, Bonhams, Copelands, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer1966 View Post
    Drummer, I recently saw a Late Night show interview with Ringo. He look astounding for 81 (at that time). He said that he eats Broccoli EveryDay !! Clean eater. Got rid of Cigs many years ago, eats simply good food - no Junk. If you look up his early life, you will find that he was very sickly kid, and nearly died from a ruptured appendix which put him onto a Coma for months!!
    Wow, I didn't know that. I'm eating healthier these days myself but man, it's hard to shake this sweet tooth!