Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringo Starr - Famous Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Ringo Starr - Famous Drummers

Ringo Starr

Drummer: Richard Starkey, born 7 July 1940, better known by his stage name Ringo Starr.
    Main Style: Rock, pop, psychedelic rock, world
    Main Band: The Beatles
    Brief Summary: An English musician and actor who gained worldwide fame as the drummer for The Beatles. When the band formed in 1960, Starr was a member of another Liverpool band, Rory Storm and the Hurricanes. He became The Beatles' drummer in August 1962.
    Other Facts: While Starr had been the first to acknowledge the technical limitations of his drumming for The Beatles, the overall effect had received high praise from notable drummers. Starr said, "Whenever I hear another drummer I know I'm no good. I'm no good on the technical things. I'm your basic offbeat drummer with funny fills. The fills were funny because I'm really left-handed playing a right-handed kit. I can't roll around the drums because of that".
    Last edited by Olimpass; 12-29-2011 at 03:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ringo Starr

Last edited by Olimpass; 08-18-2019 at 09:53 PM.

User Info Menu

ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i love him ... he changed the way that people look at drummers .. (my opinion)
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I did not know that he was left handed till now . He was and still is one of the best drummers of all time.

User Info Menu

I was talking to a drummer who was a well-educated and skilled musician. He could play all kinds of jazz, fusion, you-name-it. He said that we all have to get back to Ringo.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I did not know that he was left handed till now . He was and still is one of the best drummers of all time.
    It was a surprise to me too! That's why I added that to other facts when I read that.

Ringo is currently rated one of the top 5 influential drummers of all time.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Ringo Starr

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    It was a surprise to me too! That's why I added that to other facts when I read that.

Ringo is currently rated one of the top 5 influential drummers of all time.
    He deserves to be recognize over and over so the new generation will know him like we did with Buddy Rich and all the older guys that are no longer with us.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pearl mcx man View Post
    he deserves to be recognize over and over so the new generation will know him like we did with buddy rich and all the older guys that are no longer with us.
    +1
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Tax time

Last edited by Olimpass; 08-18-2019 at 09:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Back when they did the original Beatles Anthology, one of the things I noticed about Ringo wasn't related to his musicianship at all, but rather the person he is. He came across as being very intelligent and with a defintiely wry, witty sense of humor. I never really got that from the other members of the band.

As a drummer, I think that the Ringo Starr we know is the product of a confluence of timing and events that were just the right mix to shoot him and the whole band to a level of notoriety and fame that few others have achieved. The fact that his body of work as a drummer is pretty solid is magnified by how well the music is still known, some of it 40+ years after it was produced.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Someone told me years ago that Ringo used a 20" kick and 14" floor tom to make him look taller than he really is!! Never knew if it was true though..
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Someone told me years ago that Ringo used a 20" kick and 14" floor tom to make him look taller than he really is!! Never knew if it was true though..
    Never heard that before but aye you never know

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Looking at the picture in the first post of the thread and comparing the bass drum to the size of the snare, it looks like that bass drum is smaller than 22" - out of curiosity though, when did the 22" diameter become the "standard" size? I realize that there are people who use bigger and smaller bass drums than 22" but for the most part 22"x18" seems to be the default size these days. When did that happen? Was 22" a common size back in the 50s and 60s, or was it anything goes?
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    Looking at the picture in the first post of the thread and comparing the bass drum to the size of the snare, it looks like that bass drum is smaller than 22" - out of curiosity though, when did the 22" diameter become the "standard" size? I realize that there are people who use bigger and smaller bass drums than 22" but for the most part 22"x18" seems to be the default size these days. When did that happen? Was 22" a common size back in the 50s and 60s, or was it anything goes?
    Not sure when 22" became the standard size and believe optional sizes were still offered by Ludwig. An 18" bass drum for the "Jazzette" kit. A 20" bass drum was for the "Downbeat" and "Clubdate" kits. (Clubdate being the single bowtie lug in the center of the drum) Which consisted of a 20" bass drum 12" tom and 14" floor tom.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 01-07-2012 at 11:27 AM.

User Info Menu

I was watching Ringo and Paul on Larry King one night and King was talking about Ringo's contribution to the band and Ringo said," They didn't make it until I joined the group". He was being funny but thats typical Ringo.
    Last edited by VIbes; 01-07-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

in 1972 i got a rogers double kick set it had 2- 24 inch kicks , they were bigger than most of the kicks that i saw back then, but a few years after i got those drums my buddy got a set of ludwig blue vistas , that set had a 22 .. im thinking that 22s became popular in the late 60s , but i could be wrong......
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

The peak of psychedelic rock with the backward tracks and Ringo keeping it simple yet so cool...

The Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows

Last edited by Olimpass; 08-18-2019 at 09:55 PM.

User Info Menu

I love his drumming. It fit perfectly with the music of the Beatles.

Why does it look like there is no kick pedal in the top photo?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    I love his drumming. It fit perfectly with the music of the Beatles.

Why does it look like there is no kick pedal in the top photo?
    LOL, you're right! Don't see it. Maybe just a pose for the pic.

User Info Menu

A mate of mine named his drum school "Ringo's Drum School". Funny thing (yeah, just us and our sense of humour)....is that nowadays he looks more like Phil Collins...
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Ringo's first Ludwig set was 20", 12", 14" and prob a 5.5 X 14 snare. This 2nd set, and the one used on most stuff was 22", 13", 16". He used the same snare the whole time.

User Info Menu

Ringo's 17th solo album is out now.

John Lennon
    "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles!" when asked weather or not Ringo Starr to be the best drummer in the world
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Nice interview on Conan last week. Probably can find it online.

User Info Menu

Such a great album among the many...Ringo is awesome

Last edited by Olimpass; 08-18-2019 at 09:56 PM.