Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringo Starr - Famous Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ringo Starr - Famous Drummers

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "Truth of the matter...he was one fourth of the greatest musical group of all time"

Surely you jest kay-gee. He was 1/4 of a band, that's about the size of it.
    Sorry Rick. Thems the facts.

But we've already been over this in other threads.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Irrespective of all the opinions, and there are many, what is undeniable is the success that he achieved regardless of whether it was due to his talent and abilities or the circumstances under which it was achieved. Even a blind squirrel ......................

User Info Menu

Evidently, Ringo's success rubs some drummers in the wrong way...especially when the success is not due to Ringo's drumming abilities.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Evidently, Ringo's success rubs some drummers in the wrong way...especially when the success is not due to Ringo's drumming abilities.
    Since when does success have anything to do with abilities? The people at McDonalds aren't renowned chefs, but it doesn't change the fact they're the largest hamburger chain in the world!
    Never understood the antagonism towards Ringo and The Beatles. What ever he did or didn't do in the Beatles music, he must have done it right, where as someone else might have missed it. I have no doubt that a century from now, orchestra's will be playing Beatles melodies.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I was reading some info on Pete Best, who was in effect the first drummer for the Beatles. There was some strange stuff going on with the band in the first few years. Opinions vary as to why and how they fired Pete.....not a good enough drummer, didn't fit in well with the guys, was too good looking and popular with the fans, his mom had an affair and fathered a child by Petes best friend (who was only 19 and the Road Manager for the band)........

In any event, Pete is now touring the world doing Beatles songs with his own band. He says he lived a wonderful and "normal" life, and wouldn't change a thing. He's happy to be back into music again. He's also made some royalty money off the early Beatles recordings....which certainly helps one to "move on".
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Sorry Rick. Thems the facts.

But we've already been over this in other threads.

all the best...

In all the bands I have been in post beatles, including the band I was in before I went overseas, and the 1's that came after (1970 to 2005), never once, and I mean that without exception, were any of those bands asked to play a beatles song. Stones, yes, The Who, yes, The Animals and The Kinks, yes, (this is from the early '70's) even the Dave Clark 5, but, never in all those years were the beatles brought up.

Cuiusvis errare: insipientis nullius nisi, in errore perseverare

User Info Menu

Was it because none of the vocalists could really sound like Beatles' harmonies, and the other bands mentioned had no such vocals and were easier to do(just one vocalist needed for Animals, Kinks, Dave Clark just 2?) The harmonies were their strongest attraction.
    I did play a few Beatle songs with one band in '72. Nothing complicated like Sgt. Pepper songs. But nothing with 4 part harmonies, or orchestras or backwards taping, either. I mean how do you fake those things with a 4 pc. band?
    Also most guitarists and bass players couldn't imitate the Beatles in those early rock days, much less Hendrix or Clapton, so not many did Cream or Hendrix covers, either.
    Last edited by slinglander; 12-10-2015 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Added comments
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT

User Info Menu

Was it because none of the vocalists could really sound like Beatles' harmonies, and the other bands mentioned had no such vocals and were easier to do(just one vocalist needed for Animals, Kinks, Dave Clark just 2?) The harmonies were their strongest attraction.
    I did play a few Beatle songs with one band in '72. Nothing complicated like Sgt. Pepper songs. But nothing with 4 part harmonies, or orchestras or backwards taping, either. I mean how do you fake those things with a 4 pc. band?
    Also most guitarists and bass players couldn't imitate the Beatles in those early rock days, much less Hendrix or Clapton, so not many did Cream or Hendrix covers, either.

It seems that a lot of people that were around in that era forget the fact that most musicians laughed the beatles off, and the majority of people buying their records in '64, '65', were 13 year old girls. That was act 1.

Act 2 was go and get stoned and write songs about a walrus and a submarine. Then you either break up the band or you off yourself, get deified, and from that point on, you or the band are considered the greatest thing ever.

I would rather listen to songs like the 1's below, and, probably the best song from that era is "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling".

User Info Menu

I agree. Hard to imitate them, between their unique harmony arrangements and their complex chord progressions ( complex especially when you consider that most songs of that time consisted of 3 maj chords and one minor.)

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thing is Rick...most boy bands remain boy bands until they grow up too much to be taken seriously. The Beatles hit the scene as a boy band but began evolving from the get go. What other band in 6 short years (64-70) left behind as vast a volume of music and as diverse? Everything from folky to ballads to rockers to acid.

Nooooobody!

If musicians were laughing at the Beatles then why do so many drummers cite Ringo as an inspiration to play? Why did Ludwig's business explode over night?

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 12-12-2015 at 01:20 PM.

User Info Menu

I'll bet requests for 5th Dimension songs were also few and far between for bar bands of the 70's....

But we digress, I think.

User Info Menu

I always find it interesting when we argue about the legitimacy of someone that's sold a brazzillion records, made a brazzillion dollars and has their legacy etched in stone. Pretty sure 100 years from now you'll still hear his work in TV commercials, movies, radio jingles and oh by the way being on the play list.......you name it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

1 man's trash is another man's treasure.

All I know is that I made a lot of money NOT playing beatles songs.

I have heard bands doing 5th Dimension songs back in the '70's. The Mama's and Papa's, no, most bands couldn't cover them. It wasn't cause the songs were difficult, but didn't have the vocal abilities even if they had a lady singer, but I did hear a few bands on the West Coast that did a fair job of covering some of their songs.

A lot of bands covered Beach Boy songs, including bands I was in.

You've Lost That Loving Feeling was played by a lot of bands, but if you couldn't hit Bill Medley's baritone, it didn't sound that good.

As I said earlier, 1 would think that after 35 years of playing, 1 of the bands I was in would have been asked at least once to play a beatles song. Never happened.

User Info Menu

As I said earlier, 1 would think that after 35 years of playing, 1 of the bands I was in would have been asked at least once to play a beatles song. Never happened.
    Maybe they heard your drumming and knew you couldn't pull it off.

User Info Menu

We actually had a request for "any Beatles song" at out last gig. I haven't played a fraction of the gigs that Rick has, but that was still the FIRST time I've had such request. I'm not sure if they were serious, or just messin' with us, BUT, we actually worked up a few Beatles songs last summer. We played our version of "Come Together". It went over pretty well. At least if you change the style to something different (like Rock-a-Billy), you don't have to try to play drums like Ringo, LOL..
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

A few years back when I was the contemporary music leader at the Methodist church the 18 year old bass player of the band won second place in the John Lennon songwriting contest . We would be in the green room before service warming up and we would do Beatle songs . Man was that a blast ! David would give us the vocal parts and it sounded awesome . David got to have lunch with Yoko , she gave him a cookie jar in the shape of the Yellow Submarine .
    I myself have never been a Ringo fan , but I have a great amount of respect for his drumming ability . And yes he did make me want to play the drums .
    Back in 1986 I met Paul and his wife Linda at the video filming of the song "Stranglehold" . It was done at "The Halfway Station" between Tucson and Nogales , the border town with Mexico . I drove Linda in my '67 Chevy Impala at the beginning of the video but my passenger door would jam so they wound up going with the Jeep you see her ride in on the video . I was just off stage left , the side where Paul was standing , and between takes he would turn to me and just start talking , telling me what great people the crew were and soon he started playing some of the songs he and Lennon had wrote that never got released for the bass player and me ! What a fun day that was .

In all the years I have been playing I have never been asked to play a McCartney song or a Rush song or a Beach boys song . But That doesn't mean that their music isn't valid .

User Info Menu

I have played in bands over the years that covered [at one time or another]: Medicine Jar, Band On The Run, Jet, Live and Let Die, Help, Imagine, Birthday, Twist and Shout, Day Tripper, Hey Jude, Come Together, Revolution, and others that I can't remember at the moment ...

The Beatles were an inspiration to me in my youth as were many other bands of the 60s/70s including all the bands that Rick mentioned above ... the Wrecking Crew recordings are awesome ...

Ringo, probably more than any other Beatle, has continued to tour incessantly till this day ... and the guy is 75 years old ...

Who can forget Caveman and Larry the Dwarf in Zappa's 200 Motels ...

... and I still enjoy listening to his drumming ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 12-11-2015 at 07:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob42771 View Post
    Maybe they heard your drumming and knew you couldn't pull it off.

This should be your motto:

Scio me nihil scire

User Info Menu

I think with Ringo, it's like some bands, you have to love their music 1st, to really appreciate the players in it? Other drummers (or musicians in general) it doesn't matter what type of music it is, they'll demand your attention.. The Beatles never did it for me, but I'll not deny Ringo his due diligence.. He's a super star and that's a fact!

User Info Menu

What amazes me the most about the Beatles were their song writing abilities, harmonies and musical maturity at such young ages. Ringo just fit perfectly into this combination of friends/musicians that became the Beatles.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 12-12-2015 at 02:26 AM.

User Info Menu

This should be your motto:

Scio me nihil scire
    Not bad, paliá kai áchrista ántra.

User Info Menu

Ah......foreign language insults?

User Info Menu

They can get away with it cause most of us don't know what the heck they mean lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    They can get away with it cause most of us don't know what the heck they mean lol.
    Just Google it . Then you too can be in on all the fun ! Plus ya might learn something .