Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringo Starr - Famous Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ringo Starr

When my Father bought me my first drum kit in 1974, don't know what make but it consisted of a 20" kick , 14" snare , 12"tom 14" crash , and a set of hi-hats. All I would do is put on my Beatles albums and play the same beat to every song. A steady 4 count on the kick and hats, with a bap bap -bap on the snare. (sorry I have no idea how to write out music).

Anyway back then I had no idea what I was doing and I moved on from the Beatles and Ringo to Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rush , and others. Now 38 years later , I've gone back to the Beatles music and Ringo's drumming and I'm learning the tunes exactly as he played them. I even set my Sonor kit up as a 4 piece to mimic his set up. I never realized how great he is until recently.

User Info Menu

I always admired Ringo and is style of playing. He was very versatile by showing this with the different style of music the Beatles played. He always looked so relaxed and not overworked like most drummers of today who basically just play a certain style but Ringo he could play any. I have never seen him play a solo in all the years of his drumming and would be curious to se how good he realy is. He sure influanced me into drumming back in the 60-70 and I still play the odd beatle song here and there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    When my Father bought me my first drum kit in 1974, don't know what make but it consisted of a 20" kick , 14" snare , 12"tom 14" crash , and a set of hi-hats. All I would do is put on my Beatles albums and play the same beat to every song. A steady 4 count on the kick and hats, with a bap bap -bap on the snare. (sorry I have no idea how to write out music).

Anyway back then I had no idea what I was doing and I moved on from the Beatles and Ringo to Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rush , and others. Now 38 years later , I've gone back to the Beatles music and Ringo's drumming and I'm learning the tunes exactly as he played them. I even set my Sonor kit up as a 4 piece to mimic his set up. I never realized how great he is until recently.
    What a great story NPYYZ. Thanks for sharing that. It's fun to go back and resort to Ringoisums...

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I always admired Ringo and is style of playing. He was very versatile by showing this with the different style of music the Beatles played. He always looked so relaxed and not overworked like most drummers of today who basically just play a certain style but Ringo he could play any. I have never seen him play a solo in all the years of his drumming and would be curious to se how good he realy is. He sure influanced me into drumming back in the 60-70 and I still play the odd beatle song here and there.
    Hey Pearl MCX Man, I've never seen him do a solo either but of course there's this famous one about 14 min. into this Beatles Medley from Abbey Road.

Last edited by Olimpass; 08-18-2019 at 09:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    I was watching Ringo and Paul on Larry King one night and King was talking about Ringo's contribution to the band and Ringo said," They didn't make it until I joined the group". He was being funny but thats typical Ringo.
    Here is a very interesting link about all Ringo's drum kits. Very informative.
    Wow, Mal is towering over that kit. BD 14x20; the kit does seem so small, but the drummer was so "large" in many ways.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Ringo's 17th solo album is out now.

John Lennon
    "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles!" when asked weather or not Ringo Starr to be the best drummer in the world
    that is one of the big quotes people always bring up if you can find a copy of the interview they were all ragging on each other Ive heard a couple other clips and that one is the most memorable. I wish I knew where I heard it so I could share it here.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

watched the rooftop video again last night. A couple things I never noticed before was when Ringo wasn't ready to start the song because he lit a cigarette and that he had a backrest on his throne. It's easy to miss if not looking for it. You can see it at the end of the set when he stands up.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I don't really like Ringo :\ was never a Beatles fan, no offense. Thought he was too boring, and you needed LSD for the music. But, then again.. I wasn't alive for them, and I dont do LSD.
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

I wasn't alive for them, and I dont do LSD.
    That's a shame on both counts! LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzetto View Post
    I don't really like Ringo :\ was never a Beatles fan, no offense. Thought he was too boring, and you needed LSD for the music. But, then again.. I wasn't alive for them, and I dont do LSD.
    someday you should try and tune into them. Put on some good headphones and listen to his grooves and the songwriting. Hard Day's Night is a good one to start with
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

How revealing.......................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I was 17-18 when the beatles came here. Didn't think much of them then, and my opinion hasn't changed 1 iota since then.

Most of my old musician friends, and there are a lot of them, are not over whelmed by them.

In all the years I played, I don't recall one time where we were asked to play a beatles song.

Not everybody thinks they were the greatest thing since sliced bread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I was 17-18 when the beatles came here. Didn't think much of them then, and my opinion hasn't changed 1 iota since then.

Most of my old musician friends, and there are a lot of them, are not over whelmed by them.

In all the years I played, I don't recall one time where we were asked to play a beatles song.

I agree. I've never been a fan, though I can appreciate that others like them, just like other people don't like the bands I do.
    I'm sure it's the same for many people on here - you like different bands & not so keen on others. Each to their own, though good musicianship can be appreciated whether you like the music or not.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

True, but enough people did to make them the most famous band of all time.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    True, but enough people did to make them the most famous band of all time.

all the best...

Being famous and being truly good aren't the same thing.

Kim Kardashian is famous, but I have no idea what she's good for.

User Info Menu

I disagree with a lot of you guys. I think the Beatles revolutionized the music industry with their assortment of music stryles over the years. Alot of bands took off from them and I think they are icons and will be for years to come. IMO sorry but I know alot of people feel the same way as I do.

User Info Menu

Man, I thought the same until a covers band I played in wanted to do "Revolution" by The Beatles. That's an eye-opener because unless you're completely relaxed, that shuffle, together with the one or two fills in the song, take it from me, is not easy to nail tempo and feel-wise. It took me a number of gigs before I could play that with confidence and not rush through it. FWIW, that's coming from a drummer who also liked (and stills likes) to play in the diametrically opposite way, with odd arrangements, changing meters, double kick and so forth. Mind you, I've also played old-school punk, marching rudiments, Latin, funk, ska, blues, reggae, ethnic and so forth. I just like being as versatile as possible, and that means knowing and having an appreciation of those styles, even if it's before my time. (That kind of attitude and ability helped when I auditioned and won the position in a 50's/60's rock and roll band....unfortunately I had to turn it down for business reasons.) Heck, as an instructor, really, I have to know such things, lol. But all our needs are different. Just that it doesn't hurt to know stuff outside your "comfort-zone" sometimes.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I disagree with a lot of you guys. I think the Beatles revolutionized the music industry with their assortment of music stryles over the years. Alot of bands took off from them and I think they are icons and will be for years to come. IMO sorry but I know alot of people feel the same way as I do.
    Yes,couldn't agree more..they wrote some timeless songs that have influenced generations of musicians and they will also inspire generations in the future.

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of the early Beatles. My sister is 7 years older than me and she was responsible for bringing in the first Beatles album to the house. I used couch pillows as a kit and stole a pair of chopsticks from the kitchen drawer and proceeded to mimic Ringo for the next three albums. I eventually dropped them from my fav list when Sgt. Pepper came out. The concept was over my head and I didn't like the horn arrangements in what was considered 'rock and roll' music.

I played in a cover band that had a very heavy list of Beatles tunes, modern and old. I have more respect for Ringo now than I ever did. His playing style is very musical and I appreciate a drummer who can be melodic as well as being a solid pocket player.

User Info Menu

Elvis gave us Rock and Roll and the Beatles gave Rock etc. From there all the others genre where born Heavy metal, Punk etc etc.

User Info Menu

Yes, and the fact of the body of work that they left. Remember...this was a band that was really only in the limelight for 6 years. 1964-1970.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Being famous and being truly good aren't the same thing.

Kim Kardashian is famous, but I have no idea what she's good for.
    Poor analogy Rick. 5 years from now people will have forgotten who Kim Kardashian even is.

100 years from now, symphony orchestras will be playing Beatle melodies!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Poor analogy Rick. 5 years from now people will have forgotten who Kim Kardashian even is.

100 years from now, symphony orchestras will be playing Beatle melodies!!

all the best...

First part is probably right.

Second part I wouldn't take to the bank.

User Info Menu

First part is probably right.

Second part I wouldn't take to the bank.
    Ha. I would make a gentlemans wager, but I fear neither one of us would be a around to collect on it

LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Ha. I would make a gentlemans wager, but I fear neither one of us would be a around to collect on it

LOL

all the best...

I would stay around out of spite.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Ringo Starr

Yes, and the fact of the body of work that they left. Remember...this was a band that was really only in the limelight for 6 years. 1964-1970.

all the best...
    Yes I agree and they sure accomplish alot in that short period.