Thread: Evans HD dry / Genera Dry?

User Info Menu

Default Evans HD dry / Genera Dry?

Hey i got a Steel snare and i was wondering what is the difference between HD Dry and Genera dry? atm igot a genera dry but i heard HD dry is thicker ? id like a nice crack/ pop sound with no ring. which one guys!?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans HD dry / Genera Dry?

I prefer the 1-ply Genera Dry (or even an Ambassador) for most of my higher end snares...you get more of the pure tone of the drum. That being said... I used the two-ply HD Dry on several low/midrange steel snares and it worked really well tuned high. The HD will add more control over wonky overtones...but I think of both the HD and ST heads as more of a limiting / controlling the drums sound ... And the Genera Dry / Ambassador tend to let the true sound of the drum shine though.. Which is good as long as the true sound of the drum isn't crap

User Info Menu

i only got a steel Sensitone snare from pearl, not a really good one haha. but thanks for the detailed post. umm does HD dry kill ghost notes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Precision View Post
    i only got a steel Sensitone snare from pearl, not a really good one haha. but thanks for the detailed post. umm does HD dry kill ghost notes?
    Not at all... in fact I used an ST Dry (which is the next step above the HD in thickness) on my old Pearl Sensitone for close to 10 years and it was very articulate.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Is HD dry OR St Dry better for Rim Shots? i never hit my snare without my rims. i find it sounds louder/ better.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Evans HD dry / Genera Dry?

Quote Originally Posted by Precision View Post
    Nothing wrong with a Sensitone snare and they are not a bad sounding snare either. I have one and love the sound with the Genera HD head on it. Rim shots sound nice too.

User Info Menu

I have to agree with both Dave and Pearl Man, I have a Sensitone that I use quite often and it sounds great. I have used the Genera for awhile but I am trying the new Aquarium Triple Threat on a couple of my snares to see how the 3 ply performs.
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

I used the ST Dry for years with success...but I can't answer your specific questions. Just grab one and give it a shot. Maybe start with the middle thickness head (HD) and adjust as needed.

User Info Menu

I have used both and the Genera dry sounds wonderful with my Tama Metalworks Steel Snare (13x6.5). I find that is has better tone than the HD dry and it definetly has quite a bit of crack. This is the most recent head I have put on this snare and I won't be turning back. As soon as I tuned it up I knew that this was the head I needed for this drum. I had issues with other heads because of overtones and this head takes care of that without making the snare sound dead. I have also tried the ST dry on an Acrolite and it sounds great but the in my opinion the Genera is better. Good luck.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

my reference 14x5 is ringy mid cranked, the ring tends to go higher in pitch when cranked,then more subtule, ,but it still need some dampening for my taste.

at first i played the hd dry vented, but i found it very dead , altough it provided a huge and dry crack wich is something i dig as snare sound goes.

however , after awhile i decided to let it ring just a bit and found that the remo powerstroke X , wich is a thick 1ply 14mil , is exactly what i was looking for that matter. still plenty of crack, but more ''alive'' as feel/touch , it filter the tone a little less, just the right balance for me.

still, different strokes for different folks i guess,and our taste in matter of sound is in constant motion ; it,s all about experimentation.
    tama SC/BB anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12-16-bd 22reference snare14x5cymbals HHX's/AAX'shardware tama

User Info Menu

I play grindcore and wasn't impressed with Evans Genera dry head it killed me I found myself forced to play louder than usual to hear my Ludwig supra genera gives you a nice control over ringy tones but it also depends on the style of music you play, but defiantly it really makes your snare sound dry and low.

User Info Menu

I have Genera Dry heads on four of my seven snare drums. These are all deep drums, ranging from 14x6 to 14x8. They give me a big, fat, and (of course) dry sound.

I like the control and the taming of high overtones. I love them, but as it's been said, try it for yourself, because they really aren't for everybody.

John

User Info Menu

I like st dry personally for rim shots on my snares
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

I like HD dry, it is the current head on my snare. The holes allowed for some muffling without having to put tape or moongels on the head. I also found it is a really sensitive drumhead, maybe it's just me, but it has a great range, especially with ghost notes
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Just information on evans heads,I didn't Know but I guess all new evans heads are level 360 now. I guess it will take some time before the stores sell out existing inventory.

User Info Menu

I have a basic Pearl Steel Shell 6.5 x 14 snare which was very ringy unless I buried it in tape/moongel. I put an HD Dry on it and it got rid of the nastier aspects of the ringing and overtones and now for a cheapo snare it sounds good to me, still plenty of ring from the shell - but no nastiness and it has a decent crack to it.
    I can't comment on ghost notes as my playing isn't exactly nuanced - unfortunately my 'ghost notes' on the snare sound pretty much the same as any other - this is not a head or snare problem - I need a lot more practice. I'm equally inept when I use any other snare.