Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My proudest drumming moment

User Info Menu

Default My proudest drumming moment

I have to first say I am incredible proud of myself, 6 mths ago I could not get this down to say my life, I am playing Porcupine tree's The Sound of Muzak off there in absentia album, learning this song as good as I have(not prefect, but pretty good)just makes me so happy, I love Porcupine tree and gavin Harrisons drumming is incredible, and to be able to even come close to playing one of there songs is a HUGE honor to me, so Gavin if you stumble upon this, I hope it makes you proud, and thank you for being such a huge inspiration in my drumming.

The song is in 7. I call it 7/4 (the accents on the hihat being 1/4 notes), but Mr. Harrison has stated that the bottom number just depends on how you are looking at it.
    if you go with my take on it (being in 7/4), the groove itself is in 7/16. It repeats several times in the course of one bar (the last having a slight change in the bass drum).
    the 7/16 groove is sub divided into 3+2+2 (b--b-s-). the fourth repitition just omits the first bass drum hit. around this skeleton, there are alot of little nuances like buzzs and grace notes. those will come when you settle into the structure of the groove.
    in the chorus, its just straight 4/4, but one of the snare hits is a 16th note early.

Hope you like it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_8bxCVoew8
    Last edited by Pdplayer; 06-30-2007 at 05:27 PM.

User Info Menu

saw it on myspace..if i closed my eyes..i would have thought it was a studio recording

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by michiganice View Post
    saw it on myspace..if i closed my eyes..i would have thought it was a studio recording
    Thank you so much, that really means ALOT.

User Info Menu

Dood im slightly dissapointed you found that hard.

Your a fluent and smooth drummer that has the edge for those weird beats..... But if you listen to that in 4/4 Timing its not that weird (Least to me. Set a 1/1 MEtronome to it maybe you would understand what i mean? :S)

You definatly nailed it though man! Your an awesome drummer :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    Dood im slightly dissapointed you found that hard.

Your a fluent and smooth drummer that has the edge for those weird beats..... But if you listen to that in 4/4 Timing its not that weird (Least to me. Set a 1/1 MEtronome to it maybe you would understand what i mean? :S)

You definatly nailed it though man! Your an awesome drummer :>
    It is not in 4/4 though, it is in 7/4 and was very different for me, sit down and try and play it and you will understand what I am talking about, the song sounds very easy, until you actually start to play it.

But thanks for the compliments man.

User Info Menu

Great job man!!! Pretty smooth with that strange beat. I think I would have a hard time with that one too.

I've never heard that song before but I really like it. I'm gonna have to check those guys out.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Good job. Odd times are always more challenging.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    Great job man!!! Pretty smooth with that strange beat. I think I would have a hard time with that one too.

I've never heard that song before but I really like it. I'm gonna have to check those guys out.
    Thank you very much

There awesome, I suggest you get the albums in absentia, deadwing, and there newest fear of a blank planet, if you like my video and that song, you will love these albums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drums drums drums View Post
    Good job. Odd times are always more challenging.
    Thank you, they are more challenging, but once you get it down, they are very fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pdplayer View Post
    Thank you, they are more challenging, but once you get it down, they are very fun.
    I agree. Everything's easy after you learn it.

User Info Menu

Nice playing. But where you useing french grip in that video? I couldent quite see.

PS: Could you send this song to me via my hotmail. I wanna try and learn it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    Nice playing. But where you useing french grip in that video? I couldent quite see.

PS: Could you send this song to me via my hotmail. I wanna try and learn it.

Thanks,

I am not sure what french grip is, what is it?

I would send you the song, but it is way to big to send it, just google it, or I highly suggest you buy there album, it is awesome.

User Info Menu

Kevin, french grip is simply a matched grip with the palms facing inward, and thumbs facing upward. My drum teacher plays using french grip; that's how I found out what it was.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Kevin, french grip is simply a matched grip with the palms facing inward, and thumbs facing upward. My drum teacher plays using french grip; that's how I found out what it was.

Interesting, HM...maybe I do?

drums-rock Guest

Lol when i saw you playing this i was life pffft he aint that good so i got it on cd and was like "this should be easy" i started "trying" to play it but i cant do it lol it sounds so easy but i just cant get the right co-odernation! Good job Pdplayer!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drums-rock View Post
    Lol when i saw you playing this i was life pffft he aint that good so i got it on cd and was like "this should be easy" i started "trying" to play it but i cant do it lol it sounds so easy but i just cant get the right co-odernation! Good job Pdplayer!
    Gavin harrison is the Master of making an odd time beat sound simple, until you play it, that is why I was so proud of myself, it sounds really easy until you sit down and try and play it, then it is a whole new game.

Thanks.

BTW on the drummerworld forum Gavin is actually on there quite alot, and he personnelly said to me I did that song perfectly except the ride pattern was off a little, NOW that was my proudest moment, for him to say that to me about my playing, not to mention playing that song, is a HUGE HONOR TO ME. I again am very proud of myself.
    Last edited by Pdplayer; 07-11-2007 at 09:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Remember though. 7/4 Is just one bar of 4/4 and one bar of 3/4 .... I think of beats like that kinda different...... :P Actualy what i said isnt correct i dont think. I like to work of sounds instead of beats anyway.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    Remember though. 7/4 Is just one bar of 4/4 and one bar of 3/4 .... I think of beats like that kinda different...... :P Actualy what i said isnt correct i dont think. I like to work of sounds instead of beats anyway.
    What?

User Info Menu

Doesnt a 4/4 beat and a 3/4 beat add upto a 7/4 beat? Its how people write things on guitar pro sometimes instead of weird timings. It breaks the hard things down to something easy.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

i think your right stevo.. not sure though all i know is that 7/4 you count like this

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 1 and 2.... etc thats almost 2 bars of 4/4 but not quit, so what you say is porbably true?>

User Info Menu

Hm. When i write guitar pro files i do it like that instead of 7/4...... It just looks weird when ya tab it i think... Well not weird. It looks the same with a bar line in the middle
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

kevin, iv been trying to learn that song, in your video, are you doing the accents on the verse? or do you just to straight 8th notes?

User Info Menu

Hello Lafirin, man I am really not sure, I just play it the way he does, to the best of my ability, but I am pretty sure you accent on the verse, using the bell on the ride.

User Info Menu

it sounds like he might be alternating between the bell and the body of the ride, not sure though, and the big fill he does at the end is behond me lol.

User Info Menu

Ive tried playing this and although the chorus is fairly easy the verses are tough to get down. What crash was it you were using?