Thread: Drum head?

User Info Menu

Default Drum head?

Im in the market for new tom heads. I want a two ply clear head. So what would have better control of anoying overtones? the evans G2, or remo pinstripe? I do mic my kit from time to time and this is where one needs the overtone control. I know Boo likes the remo's so Boo do you use 2 ply or single? How about you Drummer? I also hear that the 2 ply coated heads (white) are very nice for recording. Has anyone used those before?
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

I swear by 2 ply heads. I like Remo Emporers. Besides the heads, other factors affect overtones such as the drum shell, how you tune, and the use of muffiling devices. You can also gate the mics if you wish.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

I use the Remo single ply pinstripes with Evans E-rings and mic from the inside of the toms. I trim the E-rings down to make the overtones I want.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I use the evans e-rings also. I never thought to trim them down though. This may work well on my 10 inch tom that I would like a tad more overtone ring on. Thanks for the simple, but effective tip drumbum. I know that I should just try heads out until I find what I like but like most people here, money comes in to play and Im just looking for good "quality" head I can count on for now.
    Rock Till Ya Drop