Thread: Lacking confidence

User Info Menu

Default Lacking confidence

I'm having a confidence problem how doe's anyone get over this. Is this a time thing, or is there a secret that I don't know.
    Thanks. Cheers
    Girl Drummers Rule....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lacking confidence

Yeah I had this bad at one stage and am still struggling with it. All you can do is start performing for your family and friends and then begin performing at school. Or start a band with people. You could even upload vids to YouTube.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drums65 View Post
    I'm having a confidence problem how doe's anyone get over this. Is this a time thing, or is there a secret that I don't know.
    Thanks. Cheers
    can you be just a little bit more specific ...?

User Info Menu

I think the answer is always just keep playing and practicing and don't expect miracles. When you listen to pro bands, you are usually listening to drummers that have been playing for a long time and can devote their lives to their playing.

The other thing you can do is simplify your playing. It's great to stretch yourself and play challenging stuff, but it also is healthy to play some straight up simpler stuff. The more the basics become second nature, the more you can focus on the tricky stuff.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I think the answer is always just keep playing and practicing and don't expect miracles. When you listen to pro bands, you are usually listening to drummers that have been playing for a long time and can devote their lives to their playing.

The other thing you can do is simplify your playing. It's great to stretch yourself and play challenging stuff, but it also is healthy to play some straight up simpler stuff. The more the basics become second nature, the more you can focus on the tricky stuff.
    Nothing wrong with keeping it simple. Phil Rudd's been doing it for years. Years back, I went to a Kenny Aranoff clinic. I really didn't take drumming that seriously at the time, but he said something that stuck with me. He said that too many drummers spend too much time working on fills and flashy stuff instead of putting in the time on playing time and keeping the groove going.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Simplify, simplify. Your job as a drummer is to keep the beat going, on time, like a metronome. Once you can do that in your sleep, then move on to those fills. Rock solid timing will go a long long way!

User Info Menu

Funkyruss knows of what he speaks!!!!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Confidence comes with playing. Everybody is nervous to some degree when playing in front of people. Playing simple is good advice from the other members. I concentrate on the band members when playing, I dont look into the audience. I also realize the reason I am playing is to have fun. So once I get throught my nervousness, I open up and let it rip on the kit. I sometimes get good comments on playing from other drummers or people listening to the band. I always play within the context of the song. What I mean is I dont overplay and I am conscience of how loud I play and when to play softer, but if I have a fill or a solo, its time to shine, thats your time. Its all about having fun. The best way to get your confidence in playing is during your band practices. Go over the songs that you may struggle with, or certain parts of a song. Figure out what works for you on a particluar song. There are songs that you dont even think about when you are playing, because you are so comfortable playing the song. Thats the way you should feel with every song on your set list. If not then it means more practice for that song. Once you get comfortable playing a song, its now time to get creative, see what works and see if you can add your special drum voice to your playing, what ever that is, its different for everybody. When I play and do my thing, other musicians will say you added a funk or fusion vibe to playing. It is really just a quick fill or a off beat that sounds cool in the song, or a triplet feel here or there, its just having fun and people are going to hear your playing a little different from say another drummer. HAVE FUN.

User Info Menu

hey guys i dont think the issue for her is playing live

is it a playing drums in general confidence issue?...i personally think now you might have just reached a flat spot in your drumming ability don't worry everyone gets this ..it can be really frustrating

i have a few questions, do you have a teacher?

would you consider getting a few lessons just to get a bit of confidence back?

thought about playing in a band?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Nothing wrong with keeping it simple. Phil Rudd's been doing it for years. Years back, I went to a Kenny Aranoff clinic. I really didn't take drumming that seriously at the time, but he said something that stuck with me. He said that too many drummers spend too much time working on fills and flashy stuff instead of putting in the time on playing time and keeping the groove going.
    I like that a lot - a groove is a terrible thing to waste.

One of the things that I believe helps confidence, which goes along with the idea of keeping things simple, is to work hard within the scope of your current ability level, and to really practice the things you want to play. There is a saying - "don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong." That doesn't mean that you shouldn't always strive to work on things on the edge of your ability level, but when I'm well practiced on the things that are well within my ability to execute, that right there gives me confidence to play and perform. It's always when I'm on the hook to play something that's on the edge of my abilities that my anxiety level ramps up.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

As one of da "anciuents" or "elders" here i agree compltely
    wif kenny,,,,i myself in da last 6 months have remembered
    my phriend jeffrey talkin to me ,,"its all abt da groove"
    and i have gone drum simplistic to what is mostly a 4 piece kit
    altho 2 hihats( one closed on rt side to accomodate broken hand )
    a ride,and 2 crashes ....most of my groove is back to snare bassdrum
    and an occassional tom slap,,,and im bein complimented like:
    Dang old man you slam & groove good!!!!

Dat my phriend is music to my ears....

As to confidence: I still close my eyes for a moment
    and remember da rush of playin in front of 60,000 people
    but i always try & stay relaxed as if im in my own livin room

as it sez in my signature (thxs jeff & richie)

"feel da groove & play it forward"

pm me if ya want more personal advice,,,
    always glad to share
    dats what im here for,,,,
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for your ideas, i'll take them on board. Yes I'm having lessons have been for awhile, it's taken me ages to get comfortable playing for my teacher. I just need to own the drums I think. And no I don't play with anyone, have a few friends who play guitar, but it gets back to the confidence thing.
    Thanks again.
    Happy New Year...
    Girl Drummers Rule....

User Info Menu

I started out by bouncing the ball in front of me and catching it with two hands. Before I knew it, I was bouncing the ball with just one hand and now I can even go between my legs. Hasn't done a thing to improve my shot.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

I never had that problem (too much ego, I guess) but I've seen a lot of people that were that way.

A guy that was in our band for several years, was a wreck before every gig for all the time he was with us. It all went away as soon as we hit the stage, and would start all over again the next gig.

At least he got up and played. I met a guitar player through our bass player who was as good a guitarist as I have ever seen in my life. He could shred 90% (at least) of the guitar players out there. His 1 problem, total stage fright. He got into a band as a teen with some friends and all was well until their first gig, he got on stage and didn't play a single note, just froze right up.

If you can get up and play, I wouldn't worry about it.

User Info Menu

I just need to own the drums I think:
    i believe you can do it

User Info Menu

...Is this a time thing, or is there a secret that I don't know...
    It's the first 40 years that are the worst, after which things get (slightly...) better.
    Hope this helps. (...and Happy New Year...)
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Totally agree with this. I can say that my confidence as a drummer as come from playing along to music and with musicians and just playing for the song. Not trying to overdo anything. Just a little spice here and there but I have found that I get the best compliments from band members when I just groove. Now when I sit down with a book or at my drum lesson my confidence goes right down the drain but I keep pushing to get better and that is what matters.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

Oh and the best secret is practice you can only become confident when you feel comfortable with a given situation.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

doctor dirt Guest

First off I don't play for others, I play for myself. I want people to enjoy what I enjoy but its all for me. I've been playing professionally for 50 years now and the vast majority of that time was not in pop music so my attitude didn't conflict with my genre of choice.
    If YOU enjoy the drums then just play and understand that your gonna progress by doing. If drums are adding to a lack of confidense in your life in a heavily negative way that overwhelmes you take a break from them. Give yourself a rest and see if the desire is there to return and continue with an open mindedness. Theres times in live to persevere and overcome then theres the times when its healthier to reconsider and back off. Think about it. Doc

User Info Menu

in my experience, this may come from different things. since op haven't indicated any specific situations or why/when it occur ,it's tough to tell .

from the most commons examples i've seen and suffered myself at the beggining , i can say that the best thing is never attempt to go live and play parts you're not comfortable with,or more simply ,parts that exceed your limitations technically speaking.

technique , wich translates often in endurance is something who shouldn't be underestimated.

that is what may drive you across the whole live aspect with 0 gremlins, or the lack of , that may lead to every kind of flaws when adrenaline is flowing, as example at the beggining of a show,when you sit there and attack the first few songs ; adrenaline is flowing, then technique , or lack of , may comes as tool playing for,or against a good control of your body/limbs.

if you feel a lack of control, then a lack of confidence may emerge, then you realize there's something who goes wrong wich isn't bad in itself since you're then able to identify what's wrong with you.

here's a short story about this precise topic , wich took place long ago. just remember i'm mainly a prog-rock player, play a lot of ''orchestral''' music.

like many drummers, i was using a '''in house'' grip,wich was my interpretation of the''' right ''' finger positionning/grip on the sticks . thing was,at that time, i was lacking endurance ; after an hour or so, i wasn't able to have a so great control over my rolls/rudiments and dynamics, wich was quite annoying for live situations. then a bad sensation of lack of self confidence build up. .

at one point ,i was fed up of this situation and decided to get some advices from a well rated drum teacher .

when he saw my grip, he goes : '''eeeeewwww dude, you have to re-learn how to grip your sticks properly, same goes with the ''motions'' you uses'''' .

i was like ''' oh noooo, i'm not going to re-learn to hold a stick again!!!....wich i did lol. and it changed EVERYTHING from then on. it took like 6 months to get realy acclimated to the alien feel the new grip felt at first, then my playing litteraly muted from taking a toll on my hands/arms ,to EFFORTLESS . then confidence went back to invest my playing again.

that's MY story about loosing/gaining self confidence in my playing. yours may come from a different aspect of your game, but just to tell that you must find what's the factor that doesn't allow for a relax playing/self confidence , then good performance.
    tama SC/BB anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12-16-bd 22reference snare14x5cymbals HHX's/AAX'shardware tama

User Info Menu

Thanks. Cheers
    Woah, I can write a thirty page story totally clarify and explain this in detail, but as I've learned, the internet prefers a snippet. So here is a brief summary:

I find that I will never consider my self a good drummer. Why? Because I set a goal for my self, complete that goal, and then set another goal. And because I'm always working toward a goal, it feels like I never achieve the goal. Actually that's a terrible way to explain it.

Let's say I want to improve my doubles. In august I couldn't do sixteenth note doubles at more than 100BPM, now, I can probably do it at 200+ BPM. The improvement is so gradual (NOT slow) and smooth you don't notice your improvement until you look back at august and say "wow, I really stunk compared to now." Try doing that. Think back to when you started drumming, all the things you wanted to be able to do, but couldn't because you were a newbie. Now look? Could you keep good time with eighth note patterns? Can you do it now?

Looks like a bit much to read, but the easiest way I know how to explain my thoughts..

Good luck, just focus on the positive things.

OH and I heard this quote once: "Instead of having the things we enjoy, we should enjoy the things we have."

Apply that to drumming! and good luck!
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone.......... It"s been fun reading all your stories and ideas........
    Girl Drummers Rule....