Thread: X8 Drums

User Info Menu

Default X8 Drums

Greetings! I received a Beautiful Djembe from my wife for Christmas. The brand is X8 Drums. It sounds great! I was wondering what you may think of it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: X8 Drums

Beautiful looking, how does it sound?

User Info Menu

Sounds really good. The picture is from their website, but mine looks an awful lot like it.

User Info Menu

I think the web sites says they are made from mahogany. They sounded great in the sound clips. Nice gift

User Info Menu

That's a beautiful rope tuned dejembe BLD. I'm not sure how the rope tuning works, but I think the rope tuning looks cooler.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    That's a beautiful rope tuned dejembe BLD. I'm not sure how the rope tuning works, but I think the rope tuning looks cooler.
    +1....It sounds like it would be difficult to tune....but sure looks alot better

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Thanks! They have you tube on how to tune it, but I am like most that know the tension rods.

I am guessing not many people have used this company's product. I do not know good from bad, but I think the quality and sound is very impressive.

My daughter likes the sound of it too!

User Info Menu

Thats a sweet looking drum.I have often thought about getting one myself.I read on here that if they have animal hide on them it is a little harder to tune than Nu-skin or other synthetic heads but the Nuskins sound just as good.I guess animal hide tension fluctuates more.I used to have some monkey hide Bongos from Brasil and you had to wet the skin with water and dry it with a light bulb to tighten them.The skin was like riveted on the drum.They sounded great when I got them tightened up tho.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Looks fantastic.. whats the size?
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: X8 Drums

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    Thats a sweet looking drum.I have often thought about getting one myself.I read on here that if they have animal hide on them it is a little harder to tune than Nu-skin or other synthetic heads but the Nuskins sound just as good.I guess animal hide tension fluctuates more.I used to have some monkey hide Bongos from Brasil and you had to wet the skin with water and dry it with a light bulb to tighten them.The skin was like riveted on the drum.They sounded great when I got them tightened up tho.
    BLD--awesome lookin' djembe, and it sounds awesome, too...give us a review after you put in some hands-on experience with it...

LL--believe it or not, man, that's how all hand drums were put together (and tuned) way back when. You had to heat the skins with a light bulb or other heat source to tighten them up (and run the risk of burning the skin). The first mechanically-tuned hand drums came out in the early 1950s and bettered the lot for all of us skin-slappers...and of course, the NuSkyns made it even easier for most of us to keep the sound consistent...

I haven't had to tinker too much with my wooden djembe unless it's really humid, and even then it still sounds cool (albeit a little flabbier than I'd like)...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm curious as to how they sound, too. Write up a review please!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Well, I guess it is about time I give a little review. Sorry, I have been very busy and rarely get the computer fired up anymore. The only thing I would like to say is that my Djembe has a pretty loud sound. Not a loud boomy, but compared to the one I used at church; which I think was an LP, this one has a pretty defined sound. I find it truly hard to describe because I do not have a lot of descriptive words and knowledge of hand percussive instruments. I will only say that I totally love the sound and feel of it. I occasionally beat on it through the day, or when my daughter hits on it in its case, but I still prefer my go to acoustic kit. I hope to in time hit some open mic nights and see how I fare. Anyways - it is truly a beautiful drum with a lot of love from my wife.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Anyways - it is truly a beautiful drum with a lot of love from my wife.
    That right there tells the greatest part of the story. When it starts that way, the drum will always be special.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks PB!!! I really feel lucky with Mrs. BLD!