Thread: DAW's

User Info Menu

Default DAW's

Hey I'm lookin on some advice for purchasing the right Daw. I got everything sorted to record except the last part, the Daw. I'm looking for one that will allow me To record each individual drum and also to be able to mix, adding compression, noise gate etc. The budget is at a push, stands around £300. I'm not on a mac so I can't use logic. I'm thinking of in future to buy mac so id like a daw that I will be able to use when I change over.

A quick question: how can I get each individual drum that is put through separate channels on a mixer into my computer? And how do I get them onto separate tracks on the DAW I'm running?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: DAW's

I think your going about it wrong. If you want to "SAMPLE" each drum to mix them together then you really looking into a drum/sampler machine. Then you take that and your DAW to use those samples into your recording.

User Info Menu

I mean as in close micing the kit and each individual microphone has a separate track on the DAW so I can eq etc the kit and have control over each part of the drums ( snare, bass drum etc)

User Info Menu

What you need is an audio interface. If your mixer only has one out - say a USB out - then you'll only get a single track in your DAW and all of your sound has to be pre-mixed going into the computer because you'll only be able to put effects on that single track.

As for which DAW to purchase, I keep hearing good things about Reaper - it's cheap if you buy the discounted licensed version, ($60US) but apparently the only difference between that and the demo version is that the license eliminates a nag screen - otherwise it's supposed to be the same product as the licensed version. I downloaded and installed it on my Mac but haven't really delved into it yet.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I'm out at the moment so I can't check the mixer but it is one of these two
    Soundcraft EPM12
    Or
    Soundcraft EFX12
    Can't remember exactly which one it is though. With this products am I able to what I'm trying to achieve or do I need to buy anything extra?

And I'm glad you said reaper. I have been looking at it today and think it looks great and of course the low cost of the money. Do you know if it works on macs?

Thanks
    Last edited by HiHaaT; 01-06-2012 at 09:32 AM.

User Info Menu

(mostly) 99% of all DAWS can record multiple tracks ..its built into the I/O

figure out how many tracks you want to record at once and buy a interface to suit

only use your mixer for playback purposes and use software for the mixing and compression .etc

User Info Menu

Before anyone else slam-dunks you, you should remove your links to products - they are against the forum rules.

Reaper does work on Macs - I have it installed on my iMac as I type this.

Regarding those mixers, the problem you have there is that the mixer has no digital I/O - in short, you can't separate your tracks with that going into a computer and DAW. you should probably start to look into multi-preamp interfaces such as a Presonus Firepod or Firestudio, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, or a Mackie Blackbird.
    Last edited by trickg; 01-06-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

this ones ok ..

but next time just give us a model name ..we can google

as for "telling" everyone to have look at reaper that's another story trickg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    as for "telling" everyone to have look at reaper that's another story trickg
    I didn't tell anyone to look at it - I said I heard good things about it so I downloaded and installed the demo version on my Mac. Was I not supposed to? This is a thread about Digital Audio Workstations, right? I'm confused - did I do something wrong?

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Apologies for linking, I forgot it was against the forum rules.
    Thanks for the reply trickg. Luckily the mixer hasn't been bought by me for the purpose of recording, it's used for the band.

User Info Menu

either way with your price point I would search on ebay for a used interface like an Avid 002 or 003 which will allow 16 inputs and outputs of simultaneous separate track recording with firewire interface. Remember that quite a few of the interfaces do not have pre amps which are needed for the mics (i.e. the 002 and 003 channels 1-4 have pre amps but channels 5-8 are line in therefore needing 4 channels of external preamps to drive those channels). I think some of the guys on here use the profire and like it. I do not know much about that unit. Presonus also makes cheaper interfaces as well. the software is secondary to being able to get the channels into the computer. That is where the interfaces come in.

I think the key here for you is the price point and again I would look on ebay for a deal

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply. I have my eye on a Tascam US 1641 on eBay
    I'm looking forward to get started on some recordings!

User Info Menu

if your going to start investing ..i would suggest getting a firewire interface rather than usb2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HiHaaT View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have my eye on a Tascam US 1641 on eBay
    I'm looking forward to get started on some recordings!
    I hear good things about that one, The Presonus products are highly regarded too. As for a DAW check out Cubase Artist 6. I also hear good things about Reaper
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

Unfortunatley lost the bid on the Tascam US 1641, went for £134 and my last bid didnt go through :@ Im now thinking of getting the Tascam 1800 for £250... A big increase from the one on ebay but the cheapest audio interface with 8 xlr inputs i can find.

User Info Menu

If you're a student, you can pick up the new sutudent version for about 200 ish off DV247! I ordered it the other day and its great! I'm currently using my Presonus Firestudio with it, but you dont need an interface to run it!