Thread: went to a deftones show..

User Info Menu

Default went to a deftones show..

..and it was awesome! abe cunningham rocks my world with his drums. anyone else especially like his drumming?

User Info Menu

I do like his drumming...but I saw them a couple of months ago and they sounded shocking, to the point that I would never go see them again. Glad you enjoyed it though

User Info Menu

shocking how?

User Info Menu

i concur. i like the band on cd, but when i saw them live they were less than impressive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xian View Post
    shocking how?

the sound was too distorted...the vocals were muffled and sounded like they were drowning in mud. The cd's sound great but the live performance was nothing like the recordings. I could hardly hear the drums and it basically just did not rock the socks off and was very disappointing

User Info Menu

I love the new songs...particularly mein.....awesome.....one of the few truly epic songs i think..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    the sound was too distorted...the vocals were muffled and sounded like they were drowning in mud. The cd's sound great but the live performance was nothing like the recordings. I could hardly hear the drums and it basically just did not rock the socks off and was very disappointing
    That right there is exactly how a sound tech can make or break a band.

I have seen the Deftones 3 times and the first 2 times sounded great. The third time was absolutely horrible. The second time I saw them was outdoors and they sounded incredible (of course, the sound techs were the same guys setting up Pantera and Ozzy, so I guess they better know what they're doing!). It's very unfortunate that happens to some bands. You can't REALLY hear what you sound like when your up on the stage, so you can't tell if it's all muddy or not.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I know many bands like this...... There sucking on stage....

All i can think of is they cant duplicate their studio effects on stage... Thus the sucking begins.

When ya that big ya cant really blame the sound guy. Ive done semi big local gigs of a couple of hundred. I mixed a metal band without a compressor..... If anyone knows anything. Thats hard fopr metal. Without compression you have a huge chance of blowing something if someone screams a little different or whatevr.

Let us never work like that again *Oh the stress... Makes me wanna take up smoking again*
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters