Thread: China cymbal and technique

User Info Menu

Default China cymbal and technique

My dad bought me a 17" AAX-Treme Chinese cymbal for Christmas. Heh, pretty cool of him huh? I wanted a bigger size so we went to my favourite drum store (Just Drums) where he bought it and they didn't have the 19" in stock so they ordered me one. (And, because it was boxing week, I might add they had fifteen percent off cymbals so I actually ended up with $12 back by exchanging it, pretty good deal if you ask me!) and while I waited for the cymbal to ship, the guy at Just drums offered me a 19" Paragon China as a loaner. (which sounds pretty darn good as well)

Anyways, when you play a china cymbal (assuming it's inverted), do you hit the flange at the edge as if it were a crash cymbal, or hit the peak of the flange? (where is starts to bend downward. I don't want to destroy the cymbal, and for me it seems like hitting it at the edge feels better and sounds better.
    Whaddya think?
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Default Re: China cymbal and technique

I don't hit the edge when playing inverted. I usually try to hit the peak.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong way, whatever sounds good for you. Having said that I have always read that you shouldn't hit it on the edge with any force.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    I don't hit the edge when playing inverted. I usually try to hit the peak.
    This

User Info Menu

I play my China's inverted , I play the outer two inches of the cymbal that is usually a flat section. Also it you are playing top of the line cymbals that you mentioned, you should not have any worry about breaking them. If you do break them you are hitting them way to hard.

I play Wuhan China's that are great sounding and very low priced. I've never had one break, ever.

User Info Menu

Fifty, I would agree that you shouldn't aim for the edge. Like NPYYZ, I generally go for the flat area between the edge and the peak, but if I miss that, it will be on the peak rather than the edge. Also, and there is a thread on good cymbal technique, make sure you don't strike straight into your cymbals. If you learn to use a slight sideways motion, your cymbals will last longer.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Fifty, I would agree that you shouldn't aim for the edge. Like NPYYZ, I generally go for the flat area between the edge and the peak, but if I miss that, it will be on the peak rather than the edge. Also, and there is a thread on good cymbal technique, make sure you don't strike straight into your cymbals. If you learn to use a slight sideways motion, your cymbals will last longer.
    Thank you PB for mentioning that thread, I reviewed it a while ago, and since then my playing technique is much more natural, swift and effortless actually with regards to cymbals.

The X-treme China has a really small flange, I am supposed to aim between the edge of the cymbal and the peak right? So that my stick is almost parallel to the flange?
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

i always try to hit the peak.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I'll play it just about anywhere but the edge, depending on what kind of sound I'm trying to get out of it.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

The cool part about china cymbals are their versatility. Depending on where you hit them, you can get a slightly different sound: Hit it on the edge, and you'll get a sharper attack. Hit it on the flange, and you'll get more of a "woosh". The x-treme has a wide flange, in my opinion, so this would hold true. Experiment, see what works the best for you.
    "The kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosalynn Carter."

http://www.facebook.com/robert.romeo
    Noble & Cooley Drums
    Sabian Cymbals
    Evans Heads
    DW Pedals and Hardware

User Info Menu

Hitting on the edge isn't necessarily bad either. Big band drummers have been using chinas as ride cymbals for awhile.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I just discovered a tiny crack...about 1/8th of an inch long on the edge...on my 18" AAX china. I'm sad. I've had it for 6 years. It was the first china I bought.

User Info Menu

I play my china on the flange. I used to play it on the peak, and ended up cracking it. If you do some searching in the cymbal section of the forum, there are some prettttyyyyy uglyyyyyy pictures in there of my old china.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave