Thread: Intro (drum roll)

User Info Menu

Talking Intro (drum roll)

Hi there. I'm a 46 year old guy who's 7 year old is keen to get started as a drummer. We live in Pella, IA, about 50 miles SE of Des Moines. He's been taking drum lessons from Robbie, of R. Paul's music and studio.

He's been begging for a drum set and got a set of Meinl Niño bongos from Santa. I let him know I'd get him a decent kit for his 7th birthday, this Friday, on the 13 th.

I just picked up a 2000-2002 Yamaha YD 5 piece with Sabian hi-hat, ride and crash cymbals for $300.00. Included in the price are practice pads, a throne and new Evan's heads. I'll post pics later this week.

He has a sister who plays guitar and a brother who plays bass so he's keen to get in the mix.

...can't wait to see his face on Friday!

Cheers,
    Neal

(photo's have been updated)

Last edited by Howzit; 01-12-2012 at 12:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Intro (drum roll)

Congrats....great to share the love of drumming / music with your kids.

User Info Menu

Welcome Howzit..you didn't mention if you also were a drummer? sounds like you are on the way to fill the house with musicians! fantastic! get some candid pics of sons face when he sees the set for first time....pricless
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Howzit View Post

I just picked up a 2000-2002 Yamaha YD 5 piece with Sabian hi-hat, ride and crash cymbals for $300.00. Included in the price are practice pads, a throne and new Evan's heads.

Not exactly sure what "YD" is but, sounds like a great buy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Welcome Howzit..you didn't mention if you also were a drummer? sounds like you are on the way to fill the house with musicians! fantastic! get some candid pics of sons face when he sees the set for first time....pricless
    Thanks Marty. The last time I drummed was as a teenager. My dad bought some real cheap set on auction but not knowing anything about tuning or cymbals and the appeal soon died out.

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Congrats....great to share the love of drumming / music with your kids.
    My primary instrament as a kid was a piano but did try drums (see above). My 14 year old daughter play the piano very well, as does her 12 year old brother. She also plays viola for the Pella Community Orchestra and noodles on acoustic and electric guitar. They have the potential to make a great band but my daughter says it will be called ALAFB!

...Another Lame Family Band

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Hi there Ricardo. The YD series was Yamaha's entry level kit in 2000-20002 which was followed by the Rydeen series which is now the Gigmaker.

Here is a blurb from 2000: http://www.musiciansnews.com/drums/6...acoustic.shtml

...pics coming soon!
    Last edited by Howzit; 01-10-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: language

User Info Menu

can't see your post ????

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    can't see your post ????
    I believe I may have commited a foul by quoting my teenage daughter and using the word @$$ (as in Lame @$$ Family Band as all my kids play an instrument)?

...I have asked the mods to delete and reinstate both posts.

Thanks,
    Neal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by riouel View Post
    can't see your post ????
    +1
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Odd - could the first post have been fixed rather than removed? I have no idea what he said - the tool-tip text only gives me to the point that you live somewhat close to Des Moines.

But, I agree with others who said that it's good to share a passion of music with your kids. Both of my kids are musical and quite frankly, they are ahead of where I was at their age comparitively, and I'm quite proud of them for that. However, neither of my kids followed in my footsteps musically. I'm a trumpet player first but my son plays guitar and my daughter sings and is a competitive dancer. (I sing too, but she's ahead of where I was as a vocalist.)

Part of why you are limited in what you can do on the forum is due to being new - there are certain restrictions put on noobs, and that protects the board from spammers and that kind of thing. Just join in the fun and you'll be a full-out recognized member in no time.

Side note - this is my 900th post! (1000, here I come!)
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    Odd - could the first post have been fixed rather than removed? I have no idea what he said - the tool-tip text only gives me to the point that you live somewhat close to Des Moines.

But, I agree with others who said that it's good to share a passion of music with your kids. ...
    Thanks for the welcome trichg, MartyM and longgun.

I think my 1st post was okay but it could be that I mentioned my 7 year old's drum teacher name and shop (just in case somebody knew him - no spam intended). In the 2nd post I just described what my teenage daughter thought of a family band as she and her 12 year old brother are quite talented. She plays guitar and viola and he bass. They are both excellent pianists.

In my intro I let it be known that my 7 year old has just started drum lessons and had gotten a set of Meinl Nino bongos for Christamas. And that, as it was his birthday this coming Friday, I had bought a used 2000-2002 Yamaha YD 5 piece for him that included hi-hat, ride and crash Sabian cymbals. Along with a throne, practice pads and new Evan's heads. I'll post pics after he gets it.

We live in Pella, IA, about 50 miles SE of Des Moines.

I've asked the mods to ammend and reinstate.

Thanks,
    Neal

(Bongo Pics)

Last edited by Howzit; 01-12-2012 at 12:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum Howzit. The system flags certain posts relative to spam patterns. It doesn't mean it's spam but it allows us to check them first before posting. This keeps 99% of the spam out and has proven very effective. It's just a minor inconvenience for new members.

Please avoid language in here as this is a family-friendly forum.

Thanks and welcome again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Welcome to the forum Howzit. The system flags certain posts relative to spam patterns. It doesn't mean it's spam but it allows us to check them first before posting. This keeps 99% of the spam out and has proven very effective. It's just a minor inconvenience for new members.

Please avoid language in here as this is a family-friendly forum.

Thanks and welcome again!
    Thanks Drummer,

My apologies - I'll check my language. As an import from South Africa some common words used there aren't taboo - and visa-versa.

...any possibility of getting the 1st post reinstated. Ta.

Cheers,
    Neal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Hi there Ricardo - Here is a blurb from 2000 when they were released: Yamaha YD Drum Set

...an entry level set that was followed by the Rydeen series and now Gig Maker.
    Last edited by Howzit; 01-09-2012 at 03:25 PM.

User Info Menu

I set up the kit today in his bedroom and added pics to this thread.

User Info Menu

Nice setup! I'll bet he loves it.

Something to think about - you could port the bass drum resonant head. While it's not really necessary (and purists would think it's a downright sacrilige!) it takes some of the boom out of the bass drum and allows you to easily add, subtract or adjust internal muffling. Again, purists tend to think that on a bass drum any porting or muffling is inherently bad, but I've never felt that way about it and to that end, most people love the way my kick drum sounds and it's both ported and muffled internally with a small pillow.

Same thing with the toms and snare - a set of Evans E-Rings or Aquarian rings, or even a piece of Moongel, will take some of the boinginess out of the toms and in the room they'll sound more like the drums you hear on recordings.

Good stuff!

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Man the YD's are good drums. They are made well enough to last forever if taken care of.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Birthday Boy - this morning at 6.15am

User Info Menu

Definitely looks happy

User Info Menu

he looks very happy indeed.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

It's a trap! You're tricking the poor tyke into thinking he's got a cool toy to play with when instead you're giving him something he can be productive with and enjoy for the rest of his life! (Heheh - of course it's BOTH!)

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Awesome dad....dad.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

...Same thing with the toms and snare - a set of Evans E-Rings or Aquarian rings, or even a piece of Moongel, will take some of the boinginess out of the toms and in the room they'll sound more like the drums you hear on recordings.

Good stuff!
    The snare has a Remo ring. What intrigues me is the foam and plastic ring on the beater head of the bass drum. I've done some research but it does not look like any mute or muffler out there? (still need to check on a pillow for the internals)

User Info Menu

It's a trap! You're tricking the poor tyke into thinking he's got a cool toy to play with when instead you're giving him something he can be productive with and enjoy for the rest of his life! (Heheh - of course it's BOTH!)
    Kid watch out!

User Info Menu

Yup, on top of joy and playtime, hopefully that productivity can put some pocket-money in his piggy bank!