Thread: My drums recorded

User Info Menu

Default My drums recorded

Well I got all my mics set-up, I am using a CAD kick mic, Snare mic and 2 tom mics and 1 overhead mic, I am running it all thru a mackie 16 channel mixer, and am recording using Adobe Audition, and have done all this myself.

I am still very new to this whole recording thing and would love some advise from my good friends at drum chat, the recording below is what I have come up with so far, it sounds pretty darn good on my nice home theater, but my computer it sounds a little distorted, but I am liking what I am hearing, and I am sure it can be better, I have added no effects or anything(mainly cause I don't know how yet), so please give me your imput on what else I should do, take away or whatever.

Please pay no attention to the drumming, there is no effort involved, I was just playing simply to get a sound, so the drumming basically sucks.

Anyway any help/advise would be much appreciated, thanks.

BTW it takes about 15 sec before I start anything, sorry.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/...20My%20mix.mp3
    Last edited by Pdplayer; 07-02-2007 at 03:25 PM.

User Info Menu

the only thing there that I think really needs work is the kick. Without know thie position of your mic though it is hard to say how to fix it. It sounds like the mic is either too far into the mic hole, or not in enough, i would guess probably too far into it, beyond that though, it's sounds like a decent setup
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    the only thing there that I think really needs work is the kick. Without know thie position of your mic though it is hard to say how to fix it. It sounds like the mic is either too far into the mic hole, or not in enough, i would guess probably too far into it, beyond that though, it's sounds like a decent setup
    You right on the money man, I had it really far in, so I moved it out a little and WOW, so much ore punchier and deeper, I love the sound I came up with, not to bad for my first try at this whole thing, here is what the new mix sounds like.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/...20Take%201.mp3

User Info Menu

Much better on the second take. The toms sound better. although maybe a little less volume on them and a touch more volume on the kick.

I also think you have snare tuned to high if you are going to record rock music. I've heard the stuff you like to play with your band, and I really think you should loosen up the snare head and give that thing some more body.

1 last thing. Really hit that snare too, and take it easy on the cymbals. This will allow you to use your overhead mic to pick up the whole kit and get some sweet fat tones that the close up mics miss.

So try hitting the cymbals softer and really hit the snare (even in quiet parts) and turn up the overhead in your mix. I think you'd be surprised at the improvement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente View Post
    Much better on the second take. The toms sound better. although maybe a little less volume on them and a touch more volume on the kick.

I also think you have snare tuned to high if you are going to record rock music. I've heard the stuff you like to play with your band, and I really think you should loosen up the snare head and give that thing some more body.

1 last thing. Really hit that snare too, and take it easy on the cymbals. This will allow you to use your overhead mic to pick up the whole kit and get some sweet fat tones that the close up mics miss.

So try hitting the cymbals softer and really hit the snare (even in quiet parts) and turn up the overhead in your mix. I think you'd be surprised at the improvement.
    Cool I will give it a shot, thanks.

User Info Menu

Some other general tips for mic recording - hit hard and clear, and just have the volume down on the mix. The louder the sounds origin, the easier it is to maniuplate it and adjust it - I noticed there is a bit of volume loss on the toms for example in some parts. If things sound to loud on the recording, you can always mix them down - which is always better than the other way, trust me. For cymbals however, be careful as they are generally louder than the rest anyway - using overhead mics it can be tricky to get a good distance, but once you do it makes it easier.

So, for example, on the recording, have your mics turned down fairly low and hit nice and hard and clear, then you can mix each part to how it will sound best, turn down the cymbals, turn up the snare, turn up the kick, etc...

Remember you are recording an instrumnet that operates at all frequncies to some degree, unlike most others - ie voice is usually only within a certain range, as is guitar and bass - a drum kit however has things in ALL frequencies, so make sure your EQ setup takes advantage of this. This is the reason a miced up drum kit should always have a seperate mixing desk to the rest of a band. Also bare in mind there is little need to enhance low end frequencies for the kick and toms, and while personal taste plays a part aswell, too much low end/bass on your eq will make it sound muddy. If you want a sort of "click" sound to it (think Korn, Tool, 40 Below Summer etc..), enhance the top end of the mix - a decent mix setup can have your kit sounding like just about anything you want. I have seen allot on here about people using triggers etc... to get those sounds - it isn't necassary if you know how to setup a good mix.

Anyway dude, sounds good, the kick now sounds better and I hope you can get something from the tips above. Experiment with your EQ settings and invest in decent software for the computer side of stuff - Goldwave or something like that.

There is ALLOT to the world of mixing but it is an invaluable thing. Nothing makes or breaks the way a band sounds like the soundman - if he doesn't know what he is doing it will help if you do. Just look at the thread about the deftones concert for an exmaple- top band, and can gaurantee good equipment, but throw in a bad mix and livewire was just apalled at the concert.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Careful You dont want a hard input. by hitting the drums harder. You want good levels by hitting gain.....

Distortion = bad. No one listen to this too loud you will wreck your speakers.

Distortion when you didnt mean to = clipping.....

Can you send me the traks kev.... Email em to me if ya can and ill show ya how good they can sound
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Tips with audition......

Dont let the little red thingo become a red thingo. It means a peak and back at tafe..... It meant either pull the peak down or delete the take....

Uhm... Cut out the silence at the start so its not such a big file :P

I love your sound dood. You dont need much mastering but ill see what black tom can do. He is a master and will find some way of making it better :P

You would have done a mono input into your computer ey? Or did you have seperate inputs.... If you have seperate inputs i would love the individual trakcs:>

I can prolly burn you a cd of a bunch of VST's as well and send them over to ya if you wanted to get into it too kev.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I just remembered something about cad mics....... Dont put them inside the bass drum. We had a cad bass drum mic at tafe. They have no pressure levels on the mics diaphram....... We had this problem and it does sound punchier. Check if its redlining because generally your speakers clipping is the pop....

And CMWAP.... When you get big enough to mic a kit at a gig. There should be groups on the mixing desk that the FOH mixer should have.... I wouldnt recommend mixing your own drums while playing etc.... Just run them straight to FOH and go with that.....

Get a compressor Kev.... It will help you get good gain while getting the volume differences CMWAP Was talking about.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Some other general tips for mic recording - hit hard and clear, and just have the volume down on the mix. The louder the sounds origin, the easier it is to maniuplate it and adjust it - I noticed there is a bit of volume loss on the toms for example in some parts. If things sound to loud on the recording, you can always mix them down - which is always better than the other way, trust me. For cymbals however, be careful as they are generally louder than the rest anyway - using overhead mics it can be tricky to get a good distance, but once you do it makes it easier.

So, for example, on the recording, have your mics turned down fairly low and hit nice and hard and clear, then you can mix each part to how it will sound best, turn down the cymbals, turn up the snare, turn up the kick, etc...

Remember you are recording an instrumnet that operates at all frequncies to some degree, unlike most others - ie voice is usually only within a certain range, as is guitar and bass - a drum kit however has things in ALL frequencies, so make sure your EQ setup takes advantage of this. This is the reason a miced up drum kit should always have a seperate mixing desk to the rest of a band. Also bare in mind there is little need to enhance low end frequencies for the kick and toms, and while personal taste plays a part aswell, too much low end/bass on your eq will make it sound muddy. If you want a sort of "click" sound to it (think Korn, Tool, 40 Below Summer etc..), enhance the top end of the mix - a decent mix setup can have your kit sounding like just about anything you want. I have seen allot on here about people using triggers etc... to get those sounds - it isn't necassary if you know how to setup a good mix.

Anyway dude, sounds good, the kick now sounds better and I hope you can get something from the tips above. Experiment with your EQ settings and invest in decent software for the computer side of stuff - Goldwave or something like that.

There is ALLOT to the world of mixing but it is an invaluable thing. Nothing makes or breaks the way a band sounds like the soundman - if he doesn't know what he is doing it will help if you do. Just look at the thread about the deftones concert for an exmaple- top band, and can gaurantee good equipment, but throw in a bad mix and livewire was just apalled at the concert.
    WOW, thank you for the info, very cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    Careful You dont want a hard input. by hitting the drums harder. You want good levels by hitting gain.....

Distortion = bad. No one listen to this too loud you will wreck your speakers.

Distortion when you didnt mean to = clipping.....

Can you send me the traks kev.... Email em to me if ya can and ill show ya how good they can sound
    Yea I think I got that under control now, I would send you something, but I am trying to get a good sound that I can do, I don't want to have to send it to someone, kinda defeats my whole plan, but thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    Tips with audition......

Dont let the little red thingo become a red thingo. It means a peak and back at tafe..... It meant either pull the peak down or delete the take....

Uhm... Cut out the silence at the start so its not such a big file :P

I love your sound dood. You dont need much mastering but ill see what black tom can do. He is a master and will find some way of making it better :P

You would have done a mono input into your computer ey? Or did you have seperate inputs.... If you have seperate inputs i would love the individual trakcs:>

I can prolly burn you a cd of a bunch of VST's as well and send them over to ya if you wanted to get into it too kev.
    What is a VST?

User Info Menu

A vst is a virtual program that synthasises external "things." Like a multiband or parametric EQ. Then also just finalising programs and just stuff....... Ill send you a bunch of them. Would you like a cd posted or got an email addres i can email them too. There quit big between 5 and 50 megs. Pending on what it is.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

One hint for ya.... Dont bring things up to be able to hear them...... Turn everything else down. Its a trick tom taught me. Its the same with EQing. And pull gaps into your instruments so the best harmonic of each part sticks out in different positions.... Ill get this spectrogram i have somewhere too. It shows you the harmonics as it plays over a wav display kinda like whats on your windows media player. But measured out and more professional and exact.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters