Thread: Acoustic drum storage

User Info Menu

Default Acoustic drum storage

Hey whats up everyone, I have 2 acoustic kits I have to store but the only place I have the option is a cold basement. They are in think plastic right now but I am concerned about cold and heat.

Is this an issue I should be concerned about?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Acoustic drum storage

You definately dont want them in plastic. Plastic traps moisture and causes rust. Make sure they are off the floor and then cover them with an old blanket.

User Info Menu

If you did seal them in plastic, you could pick up a canister of silica gel to go in there with them, and that would keep them dry even in a cool environment. There are places online you can get it, but a lot of the hunting suppliers offer it up so that people who keep their "hunting implements" in safes don't have to worry about their gear rusting in a big sealed up steel box.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I agree with no plastic and cover with a blanket. You can always put a dehumidifier in the room to keep the dampness out cause basements are notorious for moisture. In the summer keep a window open for a little ventilation and some heat in the winter would help too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    You definately dont want them in plastic. Plastic traps moisture and causes rust. Make sure they are off the floor and then cover them with an old blanket.
    +1...had alot of stuff rust over the years that I placed in trash bags for storage, wish I would have thought of it...I've used the silica gel packs in my drum cases...they work well also

User Info Menu

What temperatures and humidity limits are there for acoustic kits? I had to move my kit from my 2nd bed room to the Florida room for rehearsals. In case you don't know, a Florida room is also called a sun-room that is part of the house. Mine is heated/AC but has slat windows almost all around and is pretty breathable. I have them set up on my drum carpet over tiled floor. Think a blanket is all I need. Temps this week has been 50f - 80f humidity around 65%. Any advice?

User Info Menu

Ahhhhhh! I think i will go with that silica stuff, I had blankets stored in the basement and they just got moldy. On the older kit on the rim I am getting some pitting so damage is already showing. I just ordered some silica packets, going to give the drums a cleaning and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the help

User Info Menu

If you look around you should be able to find colored silica gel - it's white when it starts, but as it starts to soak up moisture it changes color - usually to a blue or purple. Once the color changes, spread it out on a cookie sheet and dehumidify it in the oven. That's one of the cool things about silica - you can use it over and over.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

If you had blankets stored there that got moldy and you are going to store your drums in the same place. Don't. Stack them in a corner somewhere. I would never in a trillion years even consider storeing my drums in a enviornment like that. Surely you have other options. I stacked six sets along the wall in my small back bedroom.
    A couple of sets should not be to hard to find a place for.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Vibes: That's part of the downfall of living in Brooklyn, not much room. 1 kit is used to gig with, 1 kit to rec with and I have a E-Kit to practice in the apartment. Anywhere else I would have to replace my kitchen table or my bed

And yes I got the color changing silica, thanks trickg!

User Info Menu

Id say the table goes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Id say the table goes.
    Throw a blanket on the floor tom, and there ya go. Mobile eating/work space.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

make sure you put some cardboard or plywood in between the shells if you stake them

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Girl Punk View Post
    Vibes: That's part of the downfall of living in Brooklyn, not much room. 1 kit is used to gig with, 1 kit to rec with and I have a E-Kit to practice in the apartment. Anywhere else I would have to replace my kitchen table or my bed

And yes I got the color changing silica, thanks trickg!
    I would be nervous to store them in the environment you mention. Drums should neither get too dry or too damp, and big temperature and humidity changes can wreak havoc on them.

I'd say pay to store them, but the cost of storage would be more than the value of the drums fairly quickly, so I'm not sure what your solution is besides try to find space in the apartment.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

itchie didn't even consider that; thank you.