Thread: Question???

User Info Menu

Default Question???

I am having a little trouble finding some good durable sticks. Everytime i play i go through one like nothing. i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on some good durable sticks that don't weigh a ton.

Oh yeah, i finally got a new snare. (Jeff Ocheltree Heavy Metals Carbon Steel Snare Drum). And let me tell u it is amazing. loud as a gun shot, and it gets great articulation outta it. I played it, fell in love with it, and bought it tha next week. 100% satisfied.

User Info Menu

ahead drimsticks..?

User Info Menu

great idea, he can go from breaking sticks to breaking cymbals

User Info Menu

Yeah, I would say ahead sticks too - or maybe just adjust the way you play. Either way man, the more durable you want them, the bigger and heavier theyare going to be - unless you invest in those carbon fibre ones.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

just kidding, i dont think they are bad. i just dont recomend them for beginers as beginers usually have bad cymbal technique to begin with.
    pro mark oak are durable and sound great on a ride cymbal.

i bet that snare sounds great. the only ocheltree snare i have played is the spirit of 2002. that thing is sweet.

User Info Menu

I think the promark oak are terrible. I've had new promark oak sticks snap in half while counting the beginning of a song (after about a half hour of use). I think the hickory are much more durable.

User Info Menu

i always used hickory without issues till about a year ago and started having a little trouble with em so i switched to the oak. when i talked to my local dealer he told me he has always had issues with bad batches here and there with all models. like sometimes a whole batch of bad hickory 5b, and another a bad batch of 7a oak...ect. it is possible i just had a bad brick of hickory 5a. however i have had no problem with the oak so far.

User Info Menu

Carbon fiber sticks if you use plastic heads..... There guarenteed to never break..... Though there between 60 and 100$ Au.

Our drummer was gonna get some and prove he can break them (He breaks the best sticks you can get)

They took over 3 months and still didnt come in so he cancled the order.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Cool. appreciate the advice ya'll. I think my big problem is using lighter sticks. they definately aren't as durable. especially when playing harder rock songs. i figure i need to used to using the heavier sticks, and i might save me some money. but that snare drum is simply incredible. it is a bit heavy though. i would say 15-20 pounds.

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for the advice ya'll. i have come to the realization that me breaking soo many sticks might have a lot more to do with me liking the lighter sticks. i guess i just gotta get used to playin with heavier sticks if i wanna stop breaking so many. i do tend to play a more on the hard rock side. i will say this, my snare drum is unbelievable. the best snare i have ever played, and i am 100% satisfied with this purchase. the thing is a beast and weighs around 15-20 lbs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSoldier21 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the advice ya'll. i have come to the realization that me breaking soo many sticks might have a lot more to do with me liking the lighter sticks. i guess i just gotta get used to playin with heavier sticks if i wanna stop breaking so many. i do tend to play a more on the hard rock side. i will say this, my snare drum is unbelievable. the best snare i have ever played, and i am 100% satisfied with this purchase. the thing is a beast and weighs around 15-20 lbs.
    what kind of snare?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSoldier21 View Post
    I am having a little trouble finding some good durable sticks. Everytime i play i go through one like nothing. i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on some good durable sticks that don't weigh a ton.

Oh yeah, i finally got a new snare. (Jeff Ocheltree Heavy Metals Carbon Steel Snare Drum). And let me tell u it is amazing. loud as a gun shot, and it gets great articulation outta it. I played it, fell in love with it, and bought it tha next week. 100% satisfied.
    I dont want to offend you in any way but if you are breaking a lot of sticks your technique may be partially to blame. I may be a soft hitter but in 2 years of playing i have never broken a stick. I would recomend that you get your technique looked over by a teacher.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    I dont want to offend you in any way but if you are breaking a lot of sticks your technique may be partially to blame. I may be a soft hitter but in 2 years of playing i have never broken a stick. I would recomend that you get your technique looked over by a teacher.
    so you have the same pair of sticks from 2 years ago?

User Info Menu

Well, same pair of sticks from a year ago really. I changed size.

User Info Menu

u are probably right on that. believe me no offense taken. anything helps. i've always broken it on the ride cymbal for some reason. it feels like i am hitting it ok, maybe u could give me a pointer or two on that. i would really appreciate it.

funkymcstain, my snare is the jeff ocheltree heavy metals carbon steel snare. i saw it at guitar center's site. i found it at one of the music stores here in vegas and it sounded great.

User Info Menu

Always try and hit cymbals with a glancing blow and not straight on. Striking a note on a cymbal is not like hammering a nail into a plank. Also always hit the surface of the cymbal and not the "jagged" edge. And you night want to try and re-angle your toms to minimise the amout of hitting the rims. There is a good word in Sweden that cant be translated in one word of english. That wors is "Lagom" It means not too much, not too little. Everithing is just right. I always try to be "Lagom" when i play.
    Last edited by vinnysimmo; 07-11-2007 at 02:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    That word is "Lagom" It means not too much, not too little. Just right. I always try to be "Lagom" when i play.
    Vinny, I lke that! I will try to be "lagom" when I play, as well. Of course, I'll have to remember that it is "lagom," and not "log on."
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ahead drumsticks are great, but what do I know..... I hit like a girl

User Info Menu

thanks a lot vinny. i appreciate the advice. i will definately try that. it does make a lot of sense tho. i do tend to hit the cymbal straight on when i use the ride. u might have just saved me a few bucks. thanks