Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Thinking Buying A Drum Kit

User Info Menu

Default I'm Thinking Buying A Drum Kit

I'm thinking of buying one of these two PDP kits: PDPX7 which is a 8", 10", 12", 14", 16", 22" and 5"x14" snare.

Or a CRX 24" Rock Kit: 12", 14",16", 6"x14" snare, 24" Bass drum.

The PDPX7 is a new 2007 model, while the CRX is I'm guessing a basic rock kit that PDP has been selling for a while.

Hopefully what I've stated is enough for you to help by telling me which one you think is better.

I'm currently leaning towards the rock kit as it seems to be something I'm wanting because of the larger sizes. The price doesn't matter, PDPX7 is $1999, Rock is $1997.

User Info Menu

Well, the sizes will effect the final sound - so whichever sound your after, choose it that way - of course the other one has more to it - the way you've written it, one is a standrd 5 peice kit, the other is a 7 piece kit. It all depends on what's more important to you.

For me, I would go the PDPX7 as it is a 7 piece setup, and the slightly smaller sizes can be setup to still give you a good deeper sound with the right skins and tuning. but that's me.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Rodger, Have you thought about what wood you want for your drum shells? If not, I would suggest that you get to a music store and check out the sound of the various woods. Maple tend to be warmer that the birch, but the birch tend to project a bit more. The Pearl Exports are poplar shells, and there are a lot of people that swear by the Exports.

Some people like the mix of woods for their drum shells. The Yamaha Custom Advantage Series, for instance, blend three woods in their shells, and the Pearl Reference shells use combinations of woods to get the best sound out of each shell.

I am a big fan of maple shells, but then that is what really sounds good to my ear. My advice to you is to make sure that you know what sound you're looking for by trying out some different drums (make sure you take your sticks with you, because that will ensure your sound). If you don't feel comfortable playing the sets in the store, like me, just sit down and hit each drum to hear the tone. You'll still look like you know exactly what you're doing, until you know exactly what you are doing!

Don't get caught up in choosing based solely on the number of drums, so that you don't end up with a bunch of drums that you can't get to sound the way you want. The CXR kit has all maple shells. The X7 kit has "hybrid, all hardwood shells." I would investigate what "hybrid, all hardwood shells" means. It could mean "cheap hardwood."
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Don't get caught up in choosing based solely on the number of drums, so that you don't end up with a bunch of drums that you can't get to sound the way you want. The CXR kit has all maple shells. The X7 kit has "hybrid, all hardwood shells." I would investigate what "hybrid, all hardwood shells" means. It could mean "cheap hardwood."
    It's PDP - not sure "cheap" is exactly in their vocabulary. I'm not saying it's necassarily of the same level as some of the other kits out there, but at the same time, there would be worse kits around. That being said however it should always by quality over quantity. Knowing the differences in the wood does change my opinion slightly to lean more towards the CXR kit in that case. See what happens when you assume? I ASSUMED that becasue it was PDP it would naturually use a decent quality wood.

PB is right though, before commiting to anyhting like that, play it and hear it. it's the only way to really know for sure.

User Info Menu

I was thinking of going full maple. Basically what I've come down to is the bass drum, would the 24" matter? The PDPX7 has more drums but that doesn't really affect me.

If I get the chance I'll try them out if I can find time to head down to the store.

User Info Menu

Get the rock kit if you really want the sound, and if im not mistaken, that series uses maple. You can always add-on later. This kit is different than the one you have in your sig, so im sure you'd appreciate the change.

User Info Menu

There's a price difference of $2. For those $2 you get 2 extra drums.
    Heh, that's me sold on that already
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    There's a price difference of $2. For those $2 you get 2 extra drums.
    Heh, that's me sold on that already
    The problem with me is that I don't really need those two extra drums, but if the price is so close that I'm wondering if a 5x14 or 6x14 snare matters, or if 22" or 24" bass drum is worth it.

User Info Menu

I would go the smaller bass drum Just because i think its stupid how deep they get some times. Unless you want a cannon that drowns out anything.... I would go the 22..... I personally wanna get a 20 on my kit.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I've think I've made my mind up on which kit. I've chosen the PDPX7 just for the extra drums and the fact that I've asked my parents (My main money source) and my father has actually said that even when I'm in the shed playing drums he can hear me playing from a street away. As for the wood the PDPX7 is a hybrid of maple and birch.

Could anyone tell me if theres a noticeable difference between a 5x14 and 6x14 snare drum?
    Last edited by Roger; 07-03-2007 at 07:04 AM.

User Info Menu

the 6 x 14 would be deeper. But i wouldnt let it change your mind. There shouldnt be much difference in capabilities for the two.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Sorry my bad. Ones deeper so its more resonant. Again no biggie.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Roger, glad to hear that the X7 is a maple and birch kit. That would tip things in favor of that kit for me, too. Extra drums with great, mid range, highs, and lows, plus the advantage of being a 7 piece kit! I got a catalogue of PDP drum kits (from when I was making my decision on a new kit), so I was wondering, what finish are you thinking about?

As to your question about the difference in the snares, IMHO there is a difference. I decided on my Gretsch kit in part because when I played the snare, it just sounded awesome to me. I really fell in love with the snare, and it was a 6x14. To me is has a slighly lower tone with a better punch on attack than the 5.5x14 snares that other kits had. I am sure that as it would be compared to a 5x14, the difference would become more obvious.

I hope there are more experienced drummers in here that will either verify this difference, or tell me I'm all wrong.

Congratualtions on coming to the point of decision, though, because I know that's the hardest part!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

you can always sell thr 5x14 snare and buy a 6x14 with the money and some supliments. No biggie :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

the 6" snare will be louder and more resonant. The diameter of a drum will change the tone the depth will effect volume and resonance.

Dude, I have a a 24" kick and I'll never go back. That's all I'll say.

User Info Menu

Are you sure the x7 is maple and birch? That would be a steal, a maple and birch 7 piece set for 700 bucks, if thats true then i dont want a catalina, i want one of those

User Info Menu

Sorry, Ch33zz, but check the first post on this thread. The kit is going for around $1,900.00! Sound pretty good, but I'm still staying with my Catalina kit. For the sound that I'm getting, the $699.00 price tag seems like a steal to me.

Roger, I'm sorry! I thought I remembered the 6x14 snare was with the X7 kit, so I was talking with that assumption in mind. I think the other guys are right that I would still take this deal, and then you could change out the sanre in time. On the other hand, if you get a chance to play with a 5x14 snare somewhere, you might find that it sounds good to you. It's all about what sounds good to your ear.

User Info Menu

go with the rock kit!

User Info Menu

I'm thinking of a "black to silver sparkle fade lacquer". It was that or "orange sparkle lacquer".

Oh and just thought I might add that the PDPX7 retails for $2299 and rock $2499 (All money I've mentioned is in Aus dollars)
    Last edited by Roger; 07-03-2007 at 09:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Oh and just thought I might add that the PDPX7 retails for $2299 and rock $2499 (All money I've mentioned is in Aus dollars)
    Oh!! well that's different. Until you said that, I was thinking of going out an getting a couple of those kits! Thought I'd just take it out of petty cash, but now . . .

User Info Menu

I'm soooo confused! International money figures!

User Info Menu

Yeah, $1999 Australian from billy hyde music. Still not sure about that wood though - can't confirm what sort fo wood it is from anywhere. I know roger you said it was maple and birch - but I would think that would then approach DW prices. According to one of the reviews on the pages that Ch33z linked too, someone said it was Chinese Oak, and on another site it was said it was Japanese oak. However, a 7 piece kit for that price is hard to go by........

User Info Menu

yea, those things say that their pretty good too, i mean, im sure their not the best, but they may be worth looking into

User Info Menu

Yeah, the only real complaint that those guys had was that it was a bit low on projection - probably need mics for a decent size setting for live performances, but I reckon it would be ok for at home and smaller places.

Also, you could probably get more projection out of them depending on which heads you use and how you tune them - especially the resonant heads.

For that price, for a kit of that size - i reckon you could make it work pretty well. I just wish I had 2 grand......

User Info Menu

I buy most my gear from america.... first. FREE TRADE! :> YAY no taxes :>

Second. Because its made and the currency.... Its just cheaper.... I have brought only line6 gear from american yet though.... MY friend brought recording interfaces and pre amps etc.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters