Thread: Yet another tuning question...

User Info Menu

Default Yet another tuning question...

I'm new to drums and I've read everything I could find on drum tuning but I still have trouble tuning.
    I like the idea of tuning to notes and have tried using a tuner held over the head, but the needle on my tuner bounces around so much that it's impossible to get it to one note. I have 3 different tuners (I played guitar for 36 years) and they all do the same thing.
    I've tried varying degrees of force when I tap the head.
    I've tried getting both heads about the same pitch before using the tuner.
    I am older and have a constant ring in my ears so when I try to tune drums, going around the head at the lugs getting the same pitch is a problem for me. I think a drum dial is in order here.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yet another tuning question...

Bowhunter, a Drum Dial would be helpful for you, but you'd still have to do the last fine tune by ear to get it just right. There is no doubt that it can help you, though.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Bowhunter, you are not alone!
    But the ringing in your ears shouldn't be problematic, being tone deaf is problematic.
    First off, lose the guitar tuners for now.
    Drum Dials...use one later. It doesn't tune anything, it's a measurement tool.
    If you've read everything about tuning and tried it all, welcome to the club!
    Tuning is more of an art and depends A LOT on personal preferences.

So as a "beginner tuner" I'm assuming you don't really know when and how to achieve the preferred "sound" of your drum but do know about tension rods, tightening patterns, res heads, batter heads, etc.? This is my method to start.
    Starting with the res head, tighten all rods by hand(we're looking to start with all rods evenly tightened with no pressure on the head.) THEN use the star pattern to tighten the rods a full turn each. I'm assuming you know the star pattern for tightening. The idea here is to exert equal pressure at each rod, tightening the head equally all around.
    It hardly ever works perfectly, so don't go crazy. With the drum on a rug, res head up, and this is the tricky, preferences part, tap with a cloth mallet in front of each rod and make slight turns, like 1/8 or 1/4 turns to adjust for equal tone and tension around the head. (When loosening turn rod back, then up the tension slightly and wait about 10 sec. for the tension to readjust before tapping. Seems strange but the loosening of the rod doesn't affect the head's tension immediately) If your tensioning results in a tonal difference of a half step-like B-Bflat all around that's a good start!
    At this point we aren't really tuning, just setting up for tuning.

Now do the same with the batter head. Be sure to do the same steps with the drum sitting on a rug or towel. You would think the same number of turns, etc., would mean both heads' tone would be equal, right? Thicker batter heads vs thinner res heads means different tension required, so give the batter head rods another turn. Tap around, etc. Try to get the tension equal. Here the Drum Dial is handy to make sure the tension is equal all around. It won't actually tune the head to a note and sometimes tapping will reveal a higher/lower pitch at a rod when the Dial says it's not so!
    Turn the drum on its side on the carpet and tap the batter, off-center. Is that the pitch you want? We're not done yet...Just in the ball park. Turn the rods not more than 1/8th turn for adjustments, let the head adjust itself/settle in for a minute, put it back on the rug sideways and tap the batter again. Tap the res head now and notice the difference in pitch.
    Tuning at this point is personal: higher or lower res vs batter, loose batter, tighter batter, tune to a note, etc.? In other words you've reached the "ART" /experimental part of tuning which books, Youtube, and others try to describe in more detail but can't really define.
    I've found beginners(that included me) have the most trouble getting to this point with any understanding of the process. Just not enough science or a simple system or tool to use.
    So don't loose faith in your tuning, every tuning drummer goes thru this!
    And since it took me so long to type this, I'm sure there will be more advice from others.

User Info Menu

Thanks PB and Slinglander. I know that a drum dial won't tune for me but will help me to insure equal tension around the head. It would be a starting point for me.

I DO know the basics you speak of Slinglander, BUT, I did NOT know about waiting a bit for the tension to equal. I just kept going around the head until they all sound the same.
    I read what you wrote earlier today and I spent the day tuning/playing/tuning etc...

I think I actually have them sounding pretty good now. They weren't too bad before, but they're even better now. I'm pretty happy with them.

Again, Thanks for ya'lls input. I know that in time I will improve.
    Ludwig 8 piece
    Paiste Sigs
    Mapex Mars Pro 5 piece

User Info Menu

Tuning drums is a art. You are at the mercy of room acoustics to start with. Move a drum from 1 room to another, and it will sound different.

Slinglander gave you a good primer for starting.

My advice would be, don't make yourself crazy with this. One doesn't learn to tune drums overnight. They are a pain in the butt because they change every time you move them.

The thing is, you will find 1 day that it's easier to get the sound you want, and get it faster than you can now.

User Info Menu

I tune by ear.
    But if you have a keyboard handy, this could give you a starting point.

“I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    I tune by ear.
    But if you have a keyboard handy, this could give you a starting point.

That's cool...never seen that illustration before

User Info Menu

Right! I would say Pop's charts are the second step in tuning. I always try for a good, clear tone which usually happens with final tuning of the res to get rid of any strange overtones, growls, or rings that may interfere with the batter pitch. Usually if my batter is at "A" my res is tuned to "A flat."