Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buddy Rich - Famous Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buddy Rich - Famous Drummers

Loving Youtube for this reason..
    Buddy Rich stick tricks...
    Last edited by Olimpass; 08-08-2019 at 07:50 AM.

User Info Menu

I thought for a minute that was rickthedrummer playing lol same style. Love watching Buddy play he was my idol growing up.

User Info Menu

I had a day off from work during the week (early 1980's) and I decided to go to the music district in manhattan. I was in the music store, upstairs in the drum section, just me and the person that worked behind the counter. I was buying sticks. Buddy rich and some other guy walks into the room. I went over to him shook his hand said hello and asked, what are you doing in new york. He said his band was playing at a local club. He said they were playing a show that night. I said I will see you tonight. I went and bought a ticket. Had a meal and listened to the band. It was the best playing big band that I ever heard. I observed Buddy's playing and watched his sticks defy physics. It was great. I still have the tickets.
    Last edited by Jackie; 12-12-2014 at 07:33 PM.

User Info Menu

I too was lucky enough to see him play before he died, but I was young. I wish I could have seen him many years later when I could have appreciated it more. I was just starting out at the time.

User Info Menu

I've seen him do some remarkable things live, that, for whatever reason, never made it to DVD.

Live in '78 is probably his and the bands best performance on DVD.

Skip the 1st 5 minutes because the guy is speaking Russian.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 05-03-2016 at 04:33 AM.

User Info Menu

The sax player that Buddy gives a sip to, his name is Steve Marcus, I had the pleasure of working with him,he was a great guy who had great stories about Buddy. B.T.W He introduced me to Macallum Scotch.

User Info Menu

I like channel one suite and Chavala for Buddy.
    Last edited by CB700; 12-15-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Buddy was getting overheated cause he kept looking up at the lights and wiping some sweat of his forehead. Amazing how he could wipe the sweat off and not miss a beat. Greatest drummer that ever lived IMO. So much energy in all his songs as they are none stop drumming. Great performance.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I always loved that "his second floor tom was used as a towel holder." I was 6 years old when Buddy played a show on the New Haven green in Connecticut back in 1984? and my dad took the family to see him. We met Buddy's bus driver and he gave us a tour of the bus. One of my earliest memories

User Info Menu

While I loved West Side Story and Channel 1 Suite, Backwoods Sideman would light up the crowd at his club (and elsewhere). When those horns kicked in, it was pure power of the best kind.

User Info Menu

I'm surprised that fewer and fewer people know much about Buddy Rich as the years have gone on. I guess that's just life. When you live long enough, you see major change. Life goes on. In another 50 years people will probably have trouble remembering Neil Peart.

User Info Menu

Buddy Rich is my very favorite drummer of all time. He was light years ahead of his time. When folks ask me who in my opinion the best drummer is without delay before they finish the sentence I say Buddy Rich.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Olimpass; 08-08-2019 at 07:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Olimpass; 08-08-2019 at 07:53 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting the video Olimpass. I had to do a double take when I saw Buddy's inverted crossover on the hats:

User Info Menu

For a guy that knocked the hell out of match grip, he used it when he needed it, as witnessed in Caravan.

The thing about Buddy that stands out in my mind the most was the supreme confidence he had in his abilities to play the drums.

Once he was out of the spotlight, he was a really nice guy.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I put this up but is has disappeared, so I'll put it up again. Backwoods Sideman
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

There isn't anything that can be said about Buddy that hasn't already been said. Some people think he was an alien, Ha Ha. Anyway, here are some jawdropping solos from the Johnny Carson show. It's interesting. You watch some other great drummers who can really play and then you watch Buddy. It's always stunning for me, I just stare and laugh for pure enjoyment at his incredible playing.