Thread: Keeping the same names?

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Keeping the same names?

Hello there everybody the names Tony McCagh from Scotland and 1st of all hello to each and every one of my fellow drummers.

OK Hear we go
    Am i a sad person for sticking to the same of everything (names) on my kit e.g. same cymbals,drums,hardware and so on?

I look forward to your replys ladys and jellybeans

All the best and rember WE ARE THE TAPS OF THE FEET,HANDS AND MOVEING OF HEADS BECAUSE EVERYONE MOVES TO THE BEAT OF A DRUM

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board Bro!! Glad to have you.
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Default Keeping the same names

Hey, Tony--welcome aboard!

I wouldn't worry about it myself, except with the drumkit and hardware itself. In the case of the kit, it's easier to start with a five-piece of one line and add side and floor toms (or a double-bass setup) by adding drums from the same make and line.

Snare drums and cymbals, it's a different story; different drummers want different sounds, so no one snare or cymbal will please everyone. Same is true with hand drummers; if you play congas seated as I do, drums of different heights make for some interesting hand action, especially when you're cookin' with three or more congas.

All the best, mate--keep the beat goin'!

User Info Menu

I'm big into keeping with the same names... I'm sure it's kept me from exploring with sounds that I may have loved, but...
    When I was growing up, (at least in my area) you didn't mix cymbal brands. You were either a Paiste fan OR a Zildjian fan. (Wrong attitude, I know) To this day, I can't break out of that mentality. I'm a Paiste fan. My hi-hats are Sabian, though. As far as drums go, I've added Remo roto-toms to my set. Other then that, I WONT add drums to my set unless they're the same brand, line, and color! I'm still looking for another bass drum for it. (For 20 years now)... All of my percussion is LP, except for my chimes(OM brand), which were a gift. I also have a Remo spoke (which is actually part of a roto-tom), because nobody makes anything that sounds like that.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

I not only keep in the same name, but I stay in the same lines of that brand also. All my cymbals are from the same Paiste line (802, which became the Alpha line). That way when I buy a cymbal, I know it's going to fit in the same sound spectrum as the cymbals I already have. Eventually I will change over to Paiste Signature models. It's gonna cost me a fortune though because I will most likely replace all my cymbals at the same time.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Welcome.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the chat Tony
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Then again if you use all one name on each piece (cymbals, drums) you could always get an endorsement bonus or sponsor after big shows.
    Welcome Tony.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

lol look when he posted that :D

User Info Menu

Have a good time Tony!

User Info Menu

LOL that was in 2006 :D

Shazane Guest

I'm kinda in the middle I guess. I like Pearl drums, for bass and toms, they've always been great quality and I cant imagine getting much better so I'd pretty much stick with them, and as for Cymbals I'm loyal to Zildjian normally for the same reason. When I do come across something I like better I incorporate it regardless of it brand, like my main snare which is a Tama, moving my Pearl snare to being the secondary snare. And I want to get some Roto toms from Remo, so I'm becoming more diverse as I build this set.

User Info Menu

welcome dude......

I have the same problem.

It cant be that much of a problem if you can find the sound you want within that brand though. But im starting to see... If you stick to two common companys with cymbols its not that bad. Andi now under stand that a different branded snare isnt at all bad either :P

I only ever thought that for the look more than the brand name though.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    LOL that was in 2006 :D
    lol I didn't even notice. Guess this guy hasn't posted for a while hehe
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

LOL i didn't read it!!!!
    Oups!

User Info Menu

We should get drummer to send him an email and telkl him his thread has recived a sudden, Laferin-shaped revival.

User Info Menu

lol its like shawn of the dead al over again! :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum bro.

I used to keep all my hardware and especially my cymbals all uniform with the names but after time this has changed. One main main reason is cuz I'm a gear head and I gotta have it all! At one point I had five kits. As far as cymbals I have Zildjian Avedis hats, Paiste Signature Crashes, and a Sabian Ride. I just like to mix and match....however I'm looking to buy a brand new cymbal set-up of all the same. I'm looking at some of the higher end and fairly newer companies like Bosphorus, Meinl, and Turkish.They have gotten my attention lately. Blessings....
    Last edited by middleman; 09-15-2007 at 03:55 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Welcome Tony.

I can't pass comment on whether you should have all the same brand or mix and match as i have an electronic kit, it's all down to your own preference..

Where you from in Scotland, i'm originally from Greenock but i have been living and working in London for the last 18 years.

User Info Menu

Newsflash: Hes gone.