Thread: Cake and Sodomy

User Info Menu

Default Cake and Sodomy

Is anyone familiar with how to play Cake and Sodomy by Marilyn Manson? It sounds easy but I'm not really sure how to get it just right.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Cake and Sodomy????
    What happened to good old fashioned Cake and Ice Cream?

User Info Menu

i dunno man, I'd definately choose ice cream though...
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rjf1986 View Post
    i dunno man, I'd definately choose ice cream though...

Clearly you've never tried cake and sodomy then!

.........man, I crack me up...........
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Cake and Sodomy????
    What happened to good old fashioned Cake and Ice Cream?
    ROFLOLPIP!!!!!

User Info Menu

Why not sodomy ice cream with gummy worms and m&m's?

User Info Menu

what about hot fudge?
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

not a single response in this thread has had anyhtig to do with the question

I love it.

O.o
    `

User Info Menu

What specifically were trying to figure out how to play? the whole thing or is there a specific part your struggling with?

User Info Menu

Actually it's just the intro I have trouble with.

User Info Menu

Doesn't sound to complex, I'll see if I can tab it out for you.

Ok, I've done a tab, but on here it doesn't look like anything usable. Is there a way I can link to a notepad file or soemthing, or send you a notepade file?

drummer.....any way of doing that?

User Info Menu

hang on, i'll post it as a picture link

User Info Menu

ok, maybe not. I can't seem to get this to work at all.

User Info Menu

lol
    What was that nifty little thing you did for whoever asked about the Rihanna beat? That was pretty cool.

User Info Menu

If you had asked for a song off any of Marilyn Manson's other albums I could have helped you easily. Cake on Sodomy was on his first and only album I don't own from him.

User Info Menu

Sara Lee Lucas was better Ginger Fish I think. Especially with his double bass technique.

User Info Menu

Yeah, i'll try and put it on here like that again. I have it in notepad where it looks best - everything lines up properly.

|1e+a2e+a|3e+a4e+a|1e+a2e+a|3e+a4e+a|

|--------|--------|--------|--------|
    |oo--o---|-o-o-oo-|oo--o---|-o-o-oo-| Floor Tom
    |o-o-o-o-|o-o-o-o-|o-o-o-o-|o-o-o-o-| Kick

Play that two times. On the third he starts accenting with one of the rack toms (i'm guessing it is, that's what it sounds like)

|oo------|-o-o----|oo------|-o-o----| Rack Tom
    |o-o-o-o-|o-o-o-o-|o-o-o-o-|o-o-o-o-| Kick

then the snare starts to create the beat after I think its about another 4 times

|----o---|----o---|----o---|----o---| Snare
    |oo------|-o-o----|oo------|-o-o----| Rack Tom
    |o-o-o-o-|o-o-o-o-|o-o-o-o-|o-o-o-o-| kick

that only gets played once through then the song offcially 'starts' and he switches to the hi-hat rhythm - is that all you needed?

EDIT: Pleas realise this is just from how it sounds to me - maybe i'm interpeting it wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's about it. Just notice the syncopation with the e's and a's. It took me a while to realise that was how he was doing it because at first I had it on the 3's and +'s of the count. That's about the only thing. Oh and when the snare comes in i'm not sure if the "ghost note" style notes for the 4e+'s are still played on the floor tom - if they are that would probably be the hardest thing to co-ordinate.
    Last edited by crazymanwithaplunger; 07-05-2007 at 03:32 AM.

User Info Menu

On another listen I don't think they are being played, so just ignore them.

Also, antoher way to play it would be do do straight eights on the floor tom wiht your right hand, and just accent with your left on the notes I have marked above in the tab. I don't think that is how it's played, but it would give the same feel for the rhythm.

Tribal rhythms are one of the hardest to figure out.

User Info Menu

Thanks crazyman. I like creating my own tribal rhythms rather than figuring them out from a tough song like that. I tried the tabs you put up and the first one does sound alot like it. The snare in the song is a little different but they sound almost identical.

User Info Menu

yeah, i wasn't happy with when i timed the snare, but i was getting annoyed with something, so I jus kinda put it where it was "close" without seeing if it was actually spot on or not. at least it gives you something to base it off though, and then you can tweak it to sound how YOU want - like you said you prefer to create your won tribal rhythms - so as long as you've got the feel of the original, you can kinda play whatever you want.

it reminded me though of the opening for "Down with the Sickness" from Disturbed, they sound very similar.