Thread: WHAT STICKS for electronic drums?

User Info Menu

Default WHAT STICKS for electronic drums?

I have Yamaha DTX that I've been playing for about a year.

I have been using 5A wood tip sticks all along.

But the other day I grabbed my marching sticks (Vic Firth Ralpie Jrs. - which are bigger diameter and heavier than 5A's) and tried them on the DTX. My rolls, flams, drags, etc. were way better than with the 5A's.

My question is . . . will I damage either the surface or the triggers if I start beating on these with marching sticks?

Soft-Coated Drumsticks

More Specialty Drumsticks at Drum Bum

User Info Menu

Default Re: WHAT STICKS for electronic drums?

I think they will wear out faster with the heavier stick....just like normal heads. I used to use 7A's on my e-kit....was always worried about breaking them....not a good thing for a drummer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I think they will wear out faster with the heavier stick....just like normal heads. I used to use 7A's on my e-kit....was always worried about breaking them....not a good thing for a drummer
    How bout the triggers? Any risk of damaging them if I really start to wail with heavy sticks? Or is the risk really the head wear?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StuSegal View Post
    How bout the triggers? Any risk of damaging them if I really start to wail with heavy sticks? Or is the risk really the head wear?
    Think it would be both...

User Info Menu

I think Vic firth makes a stick for electric kits called estick.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

^^^^
    What he said.

I don't think it's a big deal though, DTX's aren't made to break upon being hit with a marching stick, or so I think.
    I wouldn't sweat it.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Have you ever tried the AHead Drumsticks? They are weighted and balanced. I use the 5B Rock sticks on my Yamaha DTX kit.

User Info Menu

Personally, I wouldn't use marching sticks on anything but marching drums…just too heavy a stick to use on e-kits or acoustic kits for that matter...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't use marching sticks on anything but marching drums…just too heavy a stick to use on e-kits or acoustic kits for that matter...
    +1....Didn't like using them in marching band...definitely not on a kit.

User Info Menu

Hi there; Have you tried Hornets Drumsticks, they are great for electronic kits, the have a Vibration Reduction System in them. Also, have you tried Zildjian Trigger Sticks, Anti-Vibe Sticks for electronic drums. I have 7A Hornets and I have the Zildjian Trigger Sticks which are really heavy, to heavy for me so I am getting a pair of Zildjian Anti-Vibe Sticks in 7A to see how they are. I play Yamaha DTXPress II's and have been playing them for 3 or 4 yrs now. I am hoping to get a set of Roland VDrums as soon as possible TD-4's I imagine. I could not believe how much difference there is with the Hornets and the Anti-Vibe Sticks. My wrists, hands and fingers don't get half as tired and my speed increased by about 1/3 just in a couple of days of using them on my electronic kit and on a practice pad. My favorite so far is the Hornets though. Maybe you should give the sticks that I have mentioned a try. It can't hurt that's for sure. Good luck and God Bless.

Cal Talbot

User Info Menu

Are the zildian anti-vibes 5a sticks heavier than a regular pair of 5a's? Just curious cause I am gonna order a pair, but if they are alot heavier than may ill go with the 7a's. Thanks

User Info Menu

Just for fun ...

Another idea to try: acrostics...
    Could this be a possibility..?
    Rolls (off the page...) are far easier with them.
    Other sticks get lost, or break; not these.
    So,inspired to try..? They're easy, and free..!
    Take my word for it, they're great..!
    I vouch for their staying power.
    Can't go wrong, in my opinion.
    See it yet..? Can you..?

Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StuSegal View Post
    I have Yamaha DTX that I've been playing for about a year.

I have been using 5A wood tip sticks all along.

But the other day I grabbed my marching sticks (Vic Firth Ralpie Jrs. - which are bigger diameter and heavier than 5A's) and tried them on the DTX. My rolls, flams, drags, etc. were way better than with the 5A's.

My question is . . . will I damage either the surface or the triggers if I start beating on these with marching sticks?
    I'm a heavy handed Rocker, with 41 years of beating these things, and I play Cheap, (But Great) On Stage sticks (5A's & 7A's) that I purchase on eBay for approx. $26.00 U.S. per dozen pair! some nights playing out in clubs, I may break 5 sticks, and some nights, I break None at all! Lol Go Figure! Lol But as I've gotten wiser, and the name on my driver's license doesn't say 'Trump', Lol I go for the cheap sticks! I've been playing On Stage sticks since I discovered the deals on eBay, about 8 years or so, and was hesitant and skeptical at first, However, the way I look at it is... I want my weakest link, to also be my chaepest link!!! and that's why I purchased 48 pair, at about $90.00 U.S.! I want my sticks to break, and NOT my drums or cymbals! I view my sticks as a changeable 'Fuse'! hope this helps in some way! Peace & Happy Drumming! :icon_ *Buck*

User Info Menu

I like bundled rods ("hot rods"). Since they have some give to them, they give the pads a little more natural action. They also seem easier on the hands/wrists. You may have to adjust your pad sensitivity.