Thread: Looking for a new drum head..

User Info Menu

Default Looking for a new drum head..

I've always used Remo Pinstripes on my toms and a reverse dot coated on my snare. I was thinking about changing up heads to get a better sound, I don't usually mic my toms but I want a head that has more body and volume and some heads that don't dent would be nice lol. My snare is still ringing with a moongel pad and some tape on the head. : /

Any suggestions ? I was thinking of going non clear heads on my toms but, I don't know what is gonna work best. Please help oh wise DrumChat..

As always have a great day

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking for a new drum head..

All heads will dent. You need to either tune them tighter or refine your technique...or both.

What kind of sound do you want? That depends on what heads you should buy.

User Info Menu

I want more volume and clear definition. I don't use mic's so I want them be loud enough to define the tone of the tom over the rest of the kit.

User Info Menu

More open sound: Single ply top and bottom. Any brand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    More open sound: Single ply top and bottom. Any brand.
    I've used coated Ambassadors on toms and I liked them, but it seems like a single ply head slightly raises the pitch of the the drums - they won't have that low, full sound like a Pinstripe gets.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Trick, that's what I'm leaning towards

User Info Menu

I think that one of the things I like most about Ambassadors as a batter head on toms is that for me, they are easier to tune than a 2-ply head, and better intonation makes for a better sounding tom. On the down side, I've never felt that Ambassadors lasted as long as Pinstripes, which tend to be my first choice for a tom head. Overall though it's a nice round, open, warm sound.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I think that one of the things I like most about Ambassadors as a batter head on toms is that for me, they are easier to tune than a 2-ply head, and better intonation makes for a better sounding tom. On the down side, I've never felt that Ambassadors lasted as long as Pinstripes, which tend to be my first choice for a tom head. Overall though it's a nice round, open, warm sound.
    This is spot on correct. I get a great loud, open tone with clear Ambassadors that seems more defined than when using pinstripes. They definitely do not last as long, though. You may want to try a thick single ply head like the Evans G-Plus, which is single ply 12 mil (Ambassadors and G2s are 10 mil).

User Info Menu

I've tried the Evans G-plus - not a bad head and that's what I put on my DIY 16" floor tom when I built it. I haven't had a chance yet to put them on my 10" and 12" but I've got them. It's not quite a thick sounding as a 2-ply head, but it definitely sounds thicker than a 1-ply head and it retains the tuning characteristics of a 1-ply head.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

G1 Evans! Clear / Coated u choose.
    I Never hit my Snare without a Rim ShoT!

DW/Pearl/Zildjian/Evans/Vic Firth

User Info Menu

I usually stay out of these threads because you can ask 20 drummers what heads they line and get 20 different answers. However ,I've had great results with the Evans G2 Coated heads. They have plenty of attack while still giving the tom a warm sound. I was using the Evans EC2 clear heads (probably similar to the pinstripes) but they didn't have the attack or sustain of the G2's. Oh and I'm running the stock single ply PDP heads on the bottoms.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 01-15-2012 at 09:09 AM.

User Info Menu

i tried GPlus and i was dissapointed. gave me tuning headaches. wayyyy too thick for a single ply.
    any namebrand single ply as previously stated (G1, or Ambassador) should fit the bill.
    unfortunately i go through single ply heads like toilet paper.
    stuck in G2 world

User Info Menu

Maybe you hit to hard marko to go through single plies like toilet paper.LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Maybe you hit to hard marko to go through single plies like toilet paper.LOL
    that i do.
    i wasted the cheap single plies on my kids PDP in 10 minutes.
    ive gotten better over time.
    as for the G2s they have lasted 7 or 8 months, played daily and they have scuff marks on them

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by felty View Post
    some heads that don't dent would be nice
    If your drums are at too much of a vertical angle,the heads will dent easily.

I have never seen the woven ones dent and will still play with a cut right down through them.They are good for snares but Ive never known anyone to put them on their toms.I doubt they would sound very good.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

For your snare, I have to recommend the Aquarian Hi-Energy. Most durable head I've ever used, lasted me around a year before it finally threw in the towel and split along the edge. Sounds awesome too, no moongel/rings required (in fact, I first bought it for the sound, the durability was a massive bonus). Hardly dented either. To me, it is the battle axe of snare skins.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

I've always been a Remo Man but, I've heard to much good stuff about Evans not to try them.. I think I'm gonna get a set of G2 coated and try em out. Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

I've always been a Remo Man but, I've heard to much good stuff about Evans not to try them.. I think I'm gonna get a set of G2 coated and try em out. Thanks guys!
    Good choice.

User Info Menu

But the snare and the kick are staying Remo :lol

User Info Menu

But the snare and the kick are staying Remo :lol
    Funny - for many years the only combo I would use was Ambassadors on the toms and Genera Snare, EMAD Kick. I'm almost to all Remo now. All I need is the Powerstroke Pro Kick head.

User Info Menu

Don't know if I am too late to the party...

But you may want to research the coated Ambassador X. It's a single ply head but a little thicker than stock Ambs.

But the coated Emps seem to be what my Sonors really like

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    Funny - for many years the only combo I would use was Ambassadors on the toms and Genera Snare, EMAD Kick. I'm almost to all Remo now. All I need is the Powerstroke Pro Kick head.
    That's what I use and I love it.

Also, I put the G2's on my toms and really love the sound and tuning has never been so easy.. Thanks again guys.

User Info Menu

Guess I will add my two cents for what it's worth. I will start by saying I like Evans heads. A single-ply drum head responds quickly to lighter or heavier attack and has more sustain than a two-ply. Two-ply heads don't respond quite as quick with lighter attack but that's not to say they lack a good tone when played light and they don't have as much sustain as a single ply. A clear head will give you more of a bright and "open" sound where a coated head give you more of a warm, focused sound (but still brighter than a two-ply). I suppose that's where Evans came up with the idea for the GPlus (durability of two ply with the response of a single) but as some have mentioned they are challenging to tune (as are two-ply). I would think a coated single-ply would offer a good sound by keeping some warmth while offering good response and tone. But if clear is what you want then a clear single ply will work nice. But I guess it depends what your definition of a better sound means to you. If you really want to stick with a two-ply for the durability then Evans EC2 is better then Pinstripe. That's my opinion. Like other members have said, choosing the right head (like choosing anything for our sets) is a matter of personal preference and playing style and how it sounds to you. Asking for advise is certainly a great way to get steered in the right direction.
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 01-18-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

You say you want an open and responsive sound yes? But not bright? Normally a clear head is to blame for heightening the fundamental pitch of a head, so I would try coated heads on both sides. Try coated ambassadors on both ends and see how it works out for you, I have and loved it. You can't lose with single ply coated no matter what drum you use it on- it's time tested and proven to sound good. I use single ply coated on all my batters, and hear so much more of the drum than with 2ply. Except for the kick, because I like that to have a heavier thick sound. As far as durability goes, almost every company out there has a "Juggernaut" head:

Evans - Hydraulic
    Remo - Pinstripe
    Aquarian - Performance II
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

If you want the sound of a single ply but the durability of a 2 ply, the good CS is a great option.