Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co-ordination

User Info Menu

Default Co-ordination

ITS LIKE RUBBING MY HEAD WITH MY RIGHT HAND AND TRYING TO PAT MY BELLY AT THE SAME TIME WITH MY LEFT, I CANT DO IT. SOME BEATS I THINK IM GREAT AT, BUT THERES SOME THAT LOOK SO BASIC I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT BUT CANT..... DOES IT COME DOWN TO PRACTICE, OR IS IT A QUESTION OF SOME PEOPLE HAVE THE GIFT AND SOME DONT? I PLAY THE PIANO/KEYBOARD AND APPARANTLY THATS SUPPOSED TO HAVE AN ADAVANTAGE, CANT SEE HOW OR WHERE AT THE MONMENT. WHATS YOUR TECHNIQUES? SORRY IF ITS A DUMB QUESTION
    I ONLY WANTED TO HELP YOU ROLAND

User Info Menu

Not a dumb question. People are given different levels of talent naturally. The rest we have to work for. If playing rhythmic pieces on the piano is not a struggle, than you should be ok on drums. You just have to work it out. It takes time and a little patience.
    YOU CAN DO IT!

User Info Menu

'Sup Caps Lock! How ya doing! :p
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Lita, I seen the advice over and over. Slow it down and get the rhythm right. Go as slow as you need to to get it right, and then gradually speed it up.

BTW, thanks to all that have posted that advice. It really helps me!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

With you here !
    It gets VERY frustrating.

You MUST take them REALLY slow at first, sometimes pathetically slow.
    Start practicing it around 60-80bpm and dont move on until you have it down at that pace, and then only increase by 5pbm each time want to you step it up a notch

If you want to learn a new beat you MUST commit to it and keep your patience,and practice it over and over and over. I personally get extrememly annoyed when I cant get a certain beat past a certain speed, most times I can get the actual beat down but then cant get it up past 120bpm.

For some people it does come natural and easily, for others it takes a LOT of practice, I am in the latter category.

Stick with it and you will get there in the end.

There is a book called 4 way co-ordination - http://www.amazon.com/4-Way-Coordina...3498494&sr=1-3 You could try working your way through that as it has endless co-ordination routines that may go some way towards helping you
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Hey thanks, Wotto. I'm going to check out that book, too!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Besides starting really slow it helps me to take it one or two limbs at a time. I'll place the bass drum pattern over and over until I can do it in my sleep then add the snare. Then I'll take away the bass drum or the snare and add the ride. Different limbs in different combinations two at a time. Then I'll start putting it all together really slow.

User Info Menu

what worked for me is like slowing it down and putting it all together instead of breaking it down, like some kids i know will start playing the hi hat first and then add in the other stuff, but if you associate it together it works really well, if all else fails, play without the hi hat

oh yeah and when i first started i played it really slow and recorded it on my phone then listened to it, and it helped me play along with it or help me understand how it sounds all together

User Info Menu

I'm now trying to do 16th note paradiddle on the snare and bass while doing a steady 8th note on the hi-hat IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by drum_chick; 07-03-2007 at 11:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    I'm now trying to do 16th note paradiddle on the snare and bass while doing a steady 8th note on the hi-hat IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Thumbs up

Way to go, DC!!

What seems impossible is just something that we have never considered before, and so our brains have never accepted that it could be done. Lita, that is why slowing it down can help. Your brain gets the chance to move from "impossible" to "possible."

Again, DC, way to go!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Way to go, DC!!

What seems impossible is just something that we have never considered before, and so our brains have never accepted that it could be done. Lita, that is why slowing it down can help. Your brain gets the chance to move from "impossible" to "possible."

Again, DC, way to go!!!

Thanks PB!

Slow is right! I was going so slow there wasn't even a tempo on my metronome for what I was doing LOL!

User Info Menu

LOL!! I'll remember that!

User Info Menu

co-ordination is easy if you have it...... But if you dont you can work upto it. Dont be so worried about mastering it perfect from the stop. Make it stupidly slow so you can count every beat a few seconds apart and figure what hits on what counts and work it up from that.

If you can say it then you can play it.... That is a honest truth.. My teacher taught me that and i have never been proven wrong.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Speaking of counting, how do you count 32nd notes?

I know that 16th are 1e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a but how do you count when you're playing 32nd notes?

User Info Menu

1 i e i & i a i I think it was :S
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    1 i e i & i a i I think it was :S

That seems difficult to say :-(

I can say the 1e&a but that 1iei& crap isn't flowing out of my mouth :-(

User Info Menu

there was i e o u's in there or something. Lemme get my practice book out.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I know that 16th are 1e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a but how do you count when you're playing 32nd notes?
    I can't count that fast so I count 16ths and just play two hits per count!!

User Info Menu

How about counting the same way, but doubling the speed on your metronome - you'll go from 16ths to 32nds.

User Info Menu

when i cant get something, i get my drum teacher to play it, and just hearing the noise of what its supposed to sound like i can get it

User Info Menu

oh yeah my drum teacher used to play for the temptations? ever heard of them?

User Info Menu

I have! Some good music there!

User Info Menu

all you guys have old famous people for lessons :P I cant say i have :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I don't count 32nd notes and don't know many that do. Just feel out the 16th note with one of your hands and have the other hand fill in the rest and Wah La you can play 32nd notes.