Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bells, anyone?

User Info Menu

Default Bells, anyone?

So ive been playing on my Xs20's for awhile, and my only complaint is that the bell on the ride is tiny! I have to slam the shaft of the stick on it to get it to sound decent. So ive decided that i want to buy an aux. bell cymbal. Now I know the Zil-Bell is the go-to answer, but id like to avoid spending 100 bucks on a 6 inch piece of Bronze

Any suggestions? Also, how do you mount yours? Im divided between wounting it upside down on my ride or on another crash, or buying a stacker or stand for it.

Thanks!

ZK
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bells, anyone?

I dont own one, but the LP Ice Bells or the Stagg Black Metal Bells seem to be inexpensive alternatives to the Zil-Bel. Might wanna look into those.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Get the Paiste Mega Bell Power Ride, you'll never forget that bell! As for aux bells if you want a bright pingy bell, from what Ive played the Zil Bell is the loudest brightest bell you'll find, if you want something more versatile, almost every cymbal company has great bells just do some searching on youtube.

User Info Menu

I use a Zil-Bel 6" just to the left of my hats and I do have it inverted so that I hit it on the rim. I have mounted it many different ways in all different locations before settling on this spot (for now).

I can tell you that if you are looking for a sound like the bell on a ride cymbal, these little bells might just prove to be a bit to high pitched and they hold a ring forever. I use it as an accent piece mainly. I thought it had too much sustain for my taste. Give one a try in the store and use it the way you thought you might while recording it on your phone. Then listen to the playback and see what you think.

PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZildjianKid234 View Post
    So ive been playing on my Xs20's for awhile, and my only complaint is that the bell on the ride is tiny! I have to slam the shaft of the stick on it to get it to sound decent. So ive decided that i want to buy an aux. bell cymbal. Now I know the Zil-Bell is the go-to answer, but id like to avoid spending 100 bucks on a 6 inch piece of Bronze

Any suggestions? Also, how do you mount yours? Im divided between wounting it upside down on my ride or on another crash, or buying a stacker or stand for it.

Thanks!

ZK
    I'm using the bottom half of a 10" roto tom, great bells sound. You can see it in this pic on the far side of the kit.

User Info Menu

NPYYZ,

Awesome use of an extra part to make a cool sound. I love it! I had some spring steel sheets laying around and cut them to different lengths (12"-32") and when struck they make a sound not unlike thunder or a wobble depending on length.

Very inventive! Cool. I'm headed out to the garage right now to tear apart a 10" Roto-Tom right now. THIS, I've gotta hear! Thanks.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

I feel your pain ZK. I also have to suffer withthe annoyance of the small ride bell. Half the time I can't even hit the Dam thing because the wing nut keeps getting in the way. Anyway this is a helpful thread for me too. I always wanted to get the stagg black metal bell. Sounds great. It sounds like a ride bell but with stronger attack and less sustain.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

I have 3 bells - a UFIP Ice Bell and two Paiste Cup Chimes above my toms (they have slightly different clang sound than an Ice Bell). What you see to the right of them are a pair of 8" Paiste Bell cymbals put together as a mini hi-hat.

My ride is a 20" Paiste Sound Formula Full ride, have had it for well over a decade or more, and the bell of that is great. Certainly does cut through a band, yet not obnoxiously so.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 01-14-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I use both Zil Bels. 6.5 and 9". I use them in addition to the bell of the ride.

As such:

User Info Menu

jeez! i need to invest in cymbals.
    great pics, all of you!

User Info Menu

I tried the roto tom idea that NPYYZ suggested, and i love it! I'm using the 10" above my ride (Shown) and the 8" above my 18" crash. It's like having 2 zillbells laying in my garage that i never even knew about! [IMG][/IMG]

My only gripe is that i have to hit em pretty hard to get them to be loud enough. But theyre not too bad for originally being drums!

ZK

User Info Menu

Now I know the Zil-Bell is the go-to answer, but id like to avoid spending 100 bucks on a 6 inch piece of Bronze
    I agree. I just got done making a little bell out of an old hi hat by cutting it down with a jig saw and grinding the edges with a bench grinder.

Consider this if you don't feel like dropping the cash for a tiny piece of metal that goes, "DING": http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ell-24214.html
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

check this thread out too, not sure if it's what you are after but it might be worth checking.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...845#post365845
    Current Set-Up - Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Paiste Signature

Damaru - The drum of Shiva.

Hows my drumming? http://soundcloud.com/bilton-grange

Say Hi - http://www.facebook.com/biltongrangemusic

User Info Menu

I would just get a cymbal with a bigger bell unless you plan on stacking a splash onto your ride. What are you going to do when you need to use the same hand that plays the bow of your ride, to play the bell? You'll have to change hands and that will end up limiting your strokes. If you're a Sabian guy(judging by pics shown), I would save up a little more and look for a used AA or AAX ride as they all have a good size bell on them and sound great. If Zildjian, try the Avedis or A custom line- and as such, look for best prices.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I almost bought an Alumabell which sounded great and I think they are cheaper than the Bronze ones,and it was used which made it even more affordable.By the time I made up my mind and got back to the music store it was gone.Now I want a bell more than ever!It sounded much better than the bell on my crash.Then I guess I should get another stand...Sounds like another G.A.S. attack!
    Last edited by LudwigLifer; 01-22-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Anybody use two of these together as a closed auxiliary hi-hat?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dorfmeister View Post
    Anybody use two of these together as a closed auxiliary hi-hat?
    Scroll above...I sometimes use two 8" Paiste bells as a third hi-hat on my set. Sometimes I'll use an 8" RUDE splash as the top cymbal instead. A very short crispy sound.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I like the reverse mounting when using a bell or two. The sustain is "forever" on the zil bels, and some of the others, so good to try them out before adding to kit.

"I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

How does it sound with some tape or a moon gel inside the bell? Does that cut the sustain without choking the tone completely?

Quote Originally Posted by ntn2it View Post
    I use a Zil-Bel 6" just to the left of my hats and I do have it inverted so that I hit it on the rim. I have mounted it many different ways in all different locations before settling on this spot (for now).

I can tell you that if you are looking for a sound like the bell on a ride cymbal, these little bells might just prove to be a bit to high pitched and they hold a ring forever. I use it as an accent piece mainly. I thought it had too much sustain for my taste. Give one a try in the store and use it the way you thought you might while recording it on your phone. Then listen to the playback and see what you think.

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried the Hammerax Nice Bells?

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried the Hammerax Nice Bells?
    No, but i have heard them on youtube. They seem to sound pretty good

User Info Menu

Yes, the Hammerax Nice Bells sound great. They do have a long sustain though. Listen to the youtube vids--gives a good sense if you can't try them out in person.

From earlier posts---definitely going to disassemble my old roto tom and give it a whirl for the bell sound.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

No, but i have heard them on youtube. They seem to sound pretty good
    I've seen the youtube videos.

User Info Menu

How does it sound with some tape or a moon gel inside the bell? Does that cut the sustain without choking the tone completely?
    I really don't know. What you are seeing in my picture is a Vater Slick Nut that I use instead of wingnuts to hold my cymbals on. I have never tried a moongel or any tape on my Zil-Bel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ntn2it View Post
    I really don't know. What you are seeing in my picture is a Vater Slick Nut that I use instead of wingnuts to hold my cymbals on. I have never tried a moongel or any tape on my Zil-Bel.
    I think the LP Ice Bell has the shortest sustain of any bell ive heard. It only costs something like $40 and sounds great