Thread: Drum recording books

User Info Menu

Default Drum recording books

The band and I spent the last two days in the studio. The two most enjoyable days I've had in a long time. We recorded 13 songs and I got my tracks done the first time on eight of them so I was pretty happy with that and everybody else was too, time is money.

Everything was top notch and the staff was also. In the control room was a book that I will probably search for and buy for myself because it's packed with valuable information from the pro's in the industry. Wish I have had it before.

Of course there's lots of drum recording books out there but thought this one was written in a good easy to understand way, which it is. The title is "Drummers Studio Survival Guide" written by Mark Huntly Parsons with lot's of input from some of the top drummers on record.

Just thought I'd share this with you all.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum recording books

I looked it up and it reviews very well - I don't know how informative it truly is - a lot of it talks about head selection, tuning and mic selection based on the descriptions.

I might have to pick it up. It's not very expensive and it isn't very large, which means that it will have already boiled out a lot of the surperfluous information that would be difficult to understand for the average drummer who doesn't know much about recording techniques.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

That's what I liked about it, not being overly technical. Lot's of drummers share what they do in studio. Kenny Arnoff talks about what heads he likes to use for example but of course a lot more than that from other players
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Not completely about drums but there is a good section on recording drums in the Recording Engineer's Handbook. It also has engineers sharing their individual techniques for recording drums.

User Info Menu

the same people the do the recording engineers hand book do The Drm Recording Handbook.

and easy read with lots of great stuff
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

mixing with your mind

User Info Menu

Here is a link to a video of engineer George Massenburg sharing his techniques for recording drums.

http://youtu.be/OZOVZQgXl9k

User Info Menu

^its a video link*language warning*

....where's the book?

do you understand the thread?