Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Son has lost the love

User Info Menu

Default Re: Son has lost the love

Quote Originally Posted by buster View Post
    Hi.My 11 year old son has lost his love of the drums.He has been playing since he was 6 and has just passed his Rockschool grade 8.I think he got that bored with doing grades he's now lost his love of playing.Anyone else either been through this or know what I can do to get him back interested?
    It would be such a shame if he didn't carry on, because I think he will regret it later on in life and when he did used to play he was quite good.
    Thanks in advance.
    Buster.
    If it is what has been put in front of him that has made him lose interest , change things , make things fun again . And after all , you'll get a gig not because of what grades/qualifications you have , rather because of what others are hearing.

And if he still really doesn't want to play regardless , then you you just have to accept it , imho. For what it's worth , my father , a decent football (soccer) player in his time , tried to live his life again through me , but I only ended up resenting him for it - wanted me to play the game he loved, but all I wanted to do was play music.

User Info Menu

My advice would be to back off on the drum schooling/lessons and just let him do his thing behind the kit. When I was a kid my Father started me taking lessons. At first it was great, my teacher got me over that next hump playing odd time, off beat accents and so on, but being a kid after only a few months I wanted out because it was to much like going to school. So I stopped taking lessons and just took what I had learned and applied it to my own expressions, thoughts, feelings behind the kit.

User Info Menu

Children are not always so easy to predict and figure out. They can change their mind and get bored of something in a sudden moment, a blink of an eye. You see, one moment they can be oh so perfectly content with say a set of lincoln logs or k'nex erector sets. Next thing you know, they have just had enough of it and suddenly decide they are into bikes and just got to have one. Like the need for them to have a bike is unbelievably intense, but in not even a week's time following that moment- they will be focused on a new hobby, a new addiction. Leave them with a way to continue their drum development on their own, such as instructional books/dvds/drumsticks but don't throw down too much more money on lessons until you're positive he is 100% dedicated to learning the craft and his mind will not wander again.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Listen to drumebledore! From what I've seen of him around the forum, he is like the grand master of drumming!
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

when i was 7 my first kit was cardboard boxes, my sticks were a wooden spoon and a #2 pencil. i played that kit all winter and i loved it. my mom was poor and we lived in apartments.
    i bought my 5 yr old daughter a Z5 kit and she loves it, shes more into singing so i bought her a Memorex Singing Station and she loves that more. i asked her if she still wanted the Z5 and she said i could sell it if i wanted. ill likely post it on CL soon and give some other kid the opportunity to play drums. im planning on getting a better kit this year and she can always play that when she wants.
    having kids and opening their eyes to the world of opportunity is all we can offer, they either drink from the water or they dont. knowing we are doing the best we can for our children is all that matters. plus keeping them in school.
    she wants a violin now, she will get one once in elementary school music classes, private lessons included. i love her and ill do all i can to make sure shes happy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buster View Post
    Hi.My 11 year old son has lost his love of the drums.He has been playing since he was 6 and has just passed his Rockschool grade 8.I think he got that bored with doing grades he's now lost his love of playing.Anyone else either been through this or know what I can do to get him back interested?
    It would be such a shame if he didn't carry on, because I think he will regret it later on in life and when he did used to play he was quite good.
    Thanks in advance.
    Buster.
    I started playing when I was about 10, I got an acoustic kit and played it on and off, then stopped altogether for over a year. I did genuinely loose interest, it was when I expanded my music taste that I was inspired to play again. I'm glad that my parents didn't sell the kit I had, even if it was sitting idol for a long while.

I'd suggest opening his mind to new music and letting him be inspired to go back to the kit himself, if its forced it will probably be a turn off. Just my opinion based on what I felt like at the time, but your son may be different. See how it goes!
    Currently: Black Pearl Export Signature 8-Piece
    22" Bass Drum x2
    10" Rack Tom
    12" Rack Tom
    13" Rack Tom
    14" Floor Tom
    16" Floor Tom
    13" Sig Snare

Paiste Cymbals
    Alpha 14" Hats
    Alpha 17" Rock Crash
    Alpha 19" Rock Crash
    Alpha 20" Metal Ride
    Alpha 18" China

Zildjian 22" Amir Medium Impulse Ride (1980s)

Cajon
    Meinl Makah Burl

User Info Menu

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but you could let him teach you to play....???? That may peak his interest again also.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride