Thread: Dream recording setup

User Info Menu

Default Dream recording setup

Just for fun, what would be your ultimate recording setup (this includes the type of room too)? Like, all the stuff you don't actually need.
    For those of you 90% there already (or is there such thing?), what would you add on to make it better (or were planning on adding on)?

My dream recording setup would be:

A large room with high ceilings with a few dead rooms (for vocals and strings), and a control room of about 3/4ths the size of my living room (which isn't as big as you may think).

Inside that control room I would put:

An iMac with a Pro tower (which would include [2] 2TB ATA drives, [2] 512 GB SSD drives, 32 GB of memory, 12 Intel Xenon cores, with [2] 27" cinema displays and much more). Overkill I know lol

And a few racks (maybe like 1 or 12) filled with reverb controls, graphic EQ's, power conditioners, AD/DA converters, master clock, an I/O or two, and all the other goodies you find while flipping through a Swee****ers catalog.

And on that iMac would be:

Pro Tools HD
    Pro Tools expansion kits (instruments, toolkits, and of course lots of plug-ins)

And the board used to control that? An Avid System 5-MC, with expanded channels and faders.

And of course, Antares Auto-Tune 7. You DO NOT want to forget that one. :P
    And R-Mix too.. Aaaaaand maybe a Universal Audio Omni Bundle... Waves plug-ins. Sibelious... Media composer. Final cut pro. Some MIDI controllers and MIDI keyboards, a bass guitar (Marcus Miller Jazz bass? For the bassist to use if he forgets his..ooor something else maybe wanna throw in a electric and acoustic guitar too, or ever a DW Collectors series drum kit if the drummer forgets his. With Paiste sigs. **Hehe, yeah, of course, for him to use!**)

Some nice monitors. Like maybe 4.
    And for the mics:

2 Blue Bottles with a bottle cap set.
    2 Neumann M 149 Tube condensers. And maybe a U 87 while I'm at it.
    2 pairs of Neumann KM 184's
    A royer ribbon or two
    Miktek PM11, PM10, and a SubKick.
    A Beta 57A or 3
    A few Reference grade earthworks

Basically, a couple million bucks and there ya go!

What would your dream setup look like?
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dream recording setup

I like your setup idea DR. I am using Prot tools HD on a mac tower pro similar to what you described using the HD native card and a Digi 192 interface and I can attest it is the most powerful recording system I have ever used. 256 voices and 64 channels input and output on the one hd native card. I had a mix open with over 60 tracks tons of plugins too many busses to count and the CPU load was about 40%to 50%. Unbelievable.

I would change one thing the AVID/Digi board preamps are average at best and the only good aspect is it is a very expensive mouse. I am using a command 8 to interface with pro tools. Now I would LOVE TO have a neve board or an old school Trident analog board where I could sum in the analog world and use those awesome old school transformer preamps. I also would not mind having a Isochrome master word clock for all of the AD/DA converters could slave off of and a Lavry Gold D/A converter mix down and monitor play back.

User Info Menu

My dream setup is at Bolling Air Force Base with the US Air Force Band. They have pretty much anything you could want, to include a virtual room. It is treated to where it's accoustically dead, and then with a series of high end mics and speakers, it can duplicate just about any environment you want - everything from a small chamber to a stadium, along with some specialized settings like an exact duplicate of the rotunda of the US Capitol building.

Along with that, they have a big Neve mixing console and any rack units you could want - if they don't already have it, all you have to do is submit a requisition form and they will get it for you.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    My dream setup is at Bolling Air Force Base with the US Air Force Band. They have pretty much anything you could want, to include a virtual room. It is treated to where it's accoustically dead, and then with a series of high end mics and speakers, it can duplicate just about any environment you want - everything from a small chamber to a stadium, along with some specialized settings like an exact duplicate of the rotunda of the US Capitol building.

Along with that, they have a big Neve mixing console and any rack units you could want - if they don't already have it, all you have to do is submit a requisition form and they will get it for you.
    wow...do they let people use it, or just the band?

User Info Menu

my dream setup would be the best hardware/software you can get from the past and the present

vintage and modern gear

but i think more importantly it would be the people around you just cant put a price on skills

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    I like your setup idea DR. I am using Prot tools HD on a mac tower pro similar to what you described using the HD native card and a Digi 192 interface and I can attest it is the most powerful recording system I have ever used. 256 voices and 64 channels input and output on the one hd native card. I had a mix open with over 60 tracks tons of plugins too many busses to count and the CPU load was about 40%to 50%. Unbelievable.

I would change one thing the AVID/Digi board preamps are average at best and the only good aspect is it is a very expensive mouse. I am using a command 8 to interface with pro tools. Now I would LOVE TO have a neve board or an old school Trident analog board where I could sum in the analog world and use those awesome old school transformer preamps. I also would not mind having a Isochrome master word clock for all of the AD/DA converters could slave off of and a Lavry Gold D/A converter mix down and monitor play back.
    Wow! I looked up how much one of those would cost to get on the Apple website, and it totaled around 17000 for it :P
    But I added more than I needed, which jacked up the price significantly.

I didn't think of a Neve board, that would be sweeeet!
    Maybe one day when I get enough cash I'll hit eBay to find one.

Cool setup btw!

@trickg
    That sounds cool, probably could rent it out for 1000 per half hr?
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

I'm more than happy with the recording setup I have now which is considerably low budget, but I suppose if I had that much privelege and access:

Sennheiser 421's for toms/kick
    Shure sm57 for snare
    Neumann U87 for room
    Neuman K184's for hats and ride
    Allen & Heath ZED R-16
    KRK Rokit 10-3's
    Clearsonic drumshield(optional)
    Audimute soundtreatment
    No one in the band is tired
    AKG K271 headphones
    7-piece Sonor SQ2 Beech(medium)
    Calfskin drumheads
    Butch Vig in the control room
    Last edited by Russ; 01-19-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    wow...do they let people use it, or just the band?
    No, it's pretty much specifically for the various ensembles of the Air Force Band - I'm friends with a guy who is a member of their premier rock combo, "Max Impact," so I got the grand tour of the facility one day. It was mind boggling the amount of money I was surrounded by in terms of PA/audio and recording equipment. His practice microphone was a top of the line Sennheiser mic with a Neumann capsule - at one point it was probably a performance mic, but it was relegated to a practice mic when they got new gear. It was literally tens of millions of dollars worth of stuff, all over the place. The reference monitors in the studio control room were something silly like $50,000 each. Unbelievable.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

No, it's pretty much specifically for the various ensembles of the Air Force Band - I'm friends with a guy who is a member of their premier rock combo, "Max Impact," so I got the grand tour of the facility one day. It was mind boggling the amount of money I was surrounded by in terms of PA/audio and recording equipment. His practice microphone was a top of the line Sennheiser mic with a Neumann capsule - at one point it was probably a performance mic, but it was relegated to a practice mic when they got new gear. It was literally tens of millions of dollars worth of stuff, all over the place. The reference monitors in the studio control room were something silly like $50,000 each. Unbelievable.
    That must be where all the tax money went. lol jk

I could just imagine the guy who designed the place being a total gear head "No budget? Really.... Well what we need then is about: 30 Neumann M 149's, 40 P.A's, and everything needs to be top of the line. Pro Tools on every computer, and each one with a Neve board. And this and this and this"

**20 minutes later**
    "Ok, and your grand total is $13,560,967.74. Would you like to become a rewards member today?"

That would be so cool to be in one day :P
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

That's actually not too far from the truth - the virtual room cost millions to implement, and when you think about the gear associated with a professional musical organization that large, and what it takes to maintain it in replacement instruments and repairs (it's crazy what they turn back in as "used" in order to get new gear - we're talking professional level instruments that have probably been used a maximum of 3-4 years, if that) the budget to keep that band going the way it does is monstrous.

Here's a clip of my friend Ryan fronting the Air Force band at a special performance they put together for Veterans Day. Fantastic vocalist, and an even more fantastic human being - I'm priviledged to be able to call him a friend.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaPA_CN_Q4I"]MSgt Ryan Carson sings "My Country Tis of Thee" - YouTube[/ame]

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

That's actually not too far from the truth - the virtual room cost millions to implement, and when you think about the gear associated with a professional musical organization that large, and what it takes to maintain it in replacement instruments and repairs (it's crazy what they turn back in as "used" in order to get new gear - we're talking professional level instruments that have probably been used a maximum of 3-4 years, if that) the budget to keep that band going the way it does is monstrous.

Here's a clip of my friend Ryan fronting the Air Force band at a special performance they put together for Veterans Day. Fantastic vocalist, and an even more fantastic human being - I'm priviledged to be able to call him a friend.

MSgt Ryan Carson sings "My Country Tis of Thee" - YouTube
    Wow, he is a great vocalist!

Thats a crazy amount of money to spend! Really top notch stuff for top notch performances!
    Really cool to see though!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Ryan is a trained operatic tenor - there just isn't much he can't do with his voice. For a while I was playing drums for his church praise team, and it was great working with him in that capacity. Sorry - kind of off topic, but to bring it back, man, you'd have to see the setup the Air Force band has to believe it.

Remember that Neve mixing console I told you about? The interesting thing is that the big mixing console isn't right there at the virtual room - it's a fair distance away, but they have video monitors so that they can record things in the virtual room and still use all of the gear in the control room. I want to say he said that particular mixing console was something crazy like 1.2 million, but I could be mistaken.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    Wow! I looked up how much one of those would cost to get on the Apple website, and it totaled around 17000 for it :P
    But I added more than I needed, which jacked up the price significantly.

I didn't think of a Neve board, that would be sweeeet!
    Maybe one day when I get enough cash I'll hit eBay to find one.

Cool setup btw!

@trickg
    That sounds cool, probably could rent it out for 1000 per half hr?
    Hey DR. I should clarify. I said it was CLOSE. I don't have that many core processors and I only have one SSD with my TB hard drives. I also have a larger monitor because it makes me smile seeing my sound waves that big.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Hey DR. I should clarify. I said it was CLOSE. I don't have that many core processors and I only have one SSD with my TB hard drives. I also have a larger monitor because it makes me smile seeing my sound waves that big.
    Ah ok sorry :P

Either way thats one heck of a powerful computer!
    lol @ the sound waves part you just made my day

@trickg

1.2 million (or around there)? That thing probably has 200+ inputs and pre's!
    My question is, who (or what) will they be recording with that kind of equipment?
    That would be one huge band...
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

I think that it only has 88 input channels and pre's.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Must be some pretty darn good pre's!

lol, only 88 input channels
    Thats quite a bit (but maybe it's just me) :P
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

MSgt Ryan Carson sings "My Country Tis of Thee" - YouTube

Wow...would love to be there when they sell off the used gear..... BTW, Your friend has a graet gift.

User Info Menu

Yikes! Although it might be necessary if you were to record an entire army and mic up each person I assume?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Yikes! Although it might be necessary if you were to record an entire army and mic up each person I assume?
    I think that a large ensemble like an orchestra might use close to that many microphones, depending on how it was recorded.

Learn it. Love it.