Thread: Slapping/Flapping/Cracking kind of sound when I use the Bass drum

User Info Menu

Default Slapping/Flapping/Cracking kind of sound when I use the Bass drum

Why would I be getting this sound, the skins are not overly loose on either side, but not overly tight either, just tight enough to make the skins firm enough for the drum stick to bounce on them when tapping near the lugs.

Do I need to make them even tighter ?

Should I get someone else to sit at the kit and use the kick while I listen from in front ?

Thanks

Woody

User Info Menu

Default Re: Slapping/Flapping/Cracking kind of sound when I use the Bass drum

Sounds like its tuned to low.

User Info Menu

is the head worn in ...?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    is the head worn in ...?
    Good question itchie, I've only had this drum kit for a week or two (it's also my first acoustic drum kit)

When I tighten the heads up more I can't seem to hear it, but then the bass isn't deep and thumpy enough, and has to much ring in it.

Do I need to try maybe turning each rod say 1/8 of a turn and see if that stops it, if not, then repeat until it does ?

Would it be the batter side that's making the noise or the reso side, I have the reso side tuned lower, basically just passed wrinkle, it seems like it's coming from the batter side while sitting behind it playing it.

P.S. When I play with the ear muffs on it sounds great, all I can hear is a deep thump, without the earmuffs it sounds no good.

Thanks

Woody

User Info Menu

you really need to search the Tuning / Care / Maintenance forum ......theres no magic way to tune, every head and drum is different

first of all, stock kick heads are a joke ...can you tell if its stock?

do you use a pillow inside the kickdrum?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    you really need to search the Tuning / Care / Maintenance forum ......theres no magic way to tune, every head and drum is different

first of all, stock kick heads are a joke ...can you tell if its stock?

do you use a pillow inside the kickdrum?
    Yeah it is a stock head, the whole kit is a bit of a joke, it was an ebay special, $255 with free shipping, nothing but the best for me mate. LOL

Also the fact that I read somewhere about putting a port in the reso side, but I didn't read far enough to see the part where it said the port should only be about 5" in diameter So I just grabbed a dinner plate out of the cupboard and used that, so now I have a 9-1/2" diameter port just a fraction below centre. never mind, you live and learn.

I don't have a pillow in there, but I do have a double bed sheet folded over and over so it fits in and just touches the front and back skins.

It just sounds like the head is still loose and wrinkly, but it's not, so i'm guessing I will need to tighten the heads just a fraction and see if it goes away.

Woody

User Info Menu

If you like a more thumpy sound, use a pillow or blanket. The amount of muffling you use will be up to you to decide. You definitely need to tighten both sides of the bass drum properly though, otherwise stuff starts to shake itself loose.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

There are a couple of things I do with my bass drum and I always get compliments on it - purists will argue my methods, but if it works, it works - right?

When I got my kit, I never even used the stock batter - it was immediately replaced with an Evans EMAD - in the 8 years I've been drumming, I've really only ever used an EMAD and that's because it has always sounded great on whatever kit I put it on.

The second thing I have done is to port the reso head. It depends on your preference - if you want a ringy boom, you may not want to do that, but for me, I have always wanted a deep thud that you can feel in your chest, and porting the reso takes out some of that ring. I have always done mine with the smallest ring of the Rem-Os bass head hole reinforcers - I think it's a 5 or 6 inch hole.

Lastly, I use internal muffling. This is not a bad thing, no matter what people will tell you. I have a small soft pillow in there, and typically I'll adjust it through the port in the front so that it's just touching the batter head. In some cases, if I really needed to muffle it down, I'll really push it back against the batter, but the cool thing with a ported front head is that leaves you with the ability to make that adjustment.

Good luck with it!
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

You will notice a world of difference if you replace your crap stock batter head with a name brand head. Also you might want to consider replacing the reso head with a name brand as well since you put a 10" hole in it. These days drum kits are manufactured using pretty much the same technique. So any set with good heads and good tuning can be made to sound pretty good. Spend the cash on all new batters, (the stock reso's will be okay for now) for your bass drum and your toms and snare, and your kit will be instantly transformed. Your problem is that the stock head is junk, which is a common issue with lower than pro kits.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I think you should mess around with some tunings and muffling before you go and drop coin on a new head. Try different pillows, placing the pillows/blankets with more weight on the batter/reso/ ot both. You might wanna take some felt strips if you have some and run a strip across each head. Or tale the front head off completely. If you dont have felt strips, paper towels work well, as do old undershirts cut up. Im a big believer in using what you got at hand before going out amd buying the latest amd greatest.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

totally agree with kaz, experiment with that you have

once you get your head around how the res head bends the end of the note ..you will have more luck ..

i recommend you use the beater from the kick pedal like a drum stick when you tune

User Info Menu

A waste of time. You can't polish up a turd. Once a turd, always a turd. Read the title. You don't get a slapping/flapping/cracking kind of sound from a Remo, Evans, or an Aquarian no matter how loose you tune it. It's probably a single ply cheapo head. Change it.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    A waste of time. You can't polish up a turd. Once a turd, always a turd. Read the title. You don't get a slapping/flapping/cracking kind of sound from a Remo, Evans, or an Aquarian no matter how loose you tune it. It's probably a single ply cheapo head. Change it.
    ...I agree, but the cost of a new bass head can be prohibitive, if your broke

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    ...I agree, but the cost of a new bass head can be prohibitive, if your broke
    And there are cheap ways to help a stock head and make it sound better. For the most part, as long as the mylar or stock film used to make the head is ok, you can get by with some judicious muffling and careful tuning. I have a stock bass drum head sitting on standby, just in case something happens to my EMAD and I need an emergency solution. The stock head has a muffling ring of sorts - it's two ply mylar for about 2 inches around the hoop of the head. I took one of the foam rings from an old EMAD and tucked it up in there to provide for some additional muffling, and that will probably help that head if I ever need to use it.

Something else to consider is putting a patch on the head. Even if you can't afford to buy a new patch, an makeshift patch can be cut out of an old head or any other piece of heavier plastic and either taped or glued in place.

There are ideal solutions, and then there are solutions that will work in a pinch if almost nothing is available and funds are limited. Thankfully I've never had to worry about the funds - if I need new heads, I go get them, and I get what I want. This isn't to say that I'm rolling in Benjamins, but merely to say that I can manage to budget for a changeup in heads a couple of times a year. (less for bass drum - I usually run a kick head about 18 months to 2 years)
    Last edited by trickg; 01-19-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    And there are cheap ways to help a stock head and make it sound better. For the most part, as long as the mylar or stock film used to make the head is ok, you can get by with some judicious muffling and careful tuning. I have a stock bass drum head sitting on standby, just in case something happens to my EMAD and I need an emergy solution. The stock head has a muffling ring of sorts - it's two ply mylar for about 2 inches around the hoop of the head. I took one of the foam rings from an old EMAD and tucked it up in there to provide for some additional muffling, and that will probably help that head if I ever need to use it.

Something else to consider is putting a patch on the head. Even if you can't afford to buy a new patch, an makeshift patch can be cut out of an old head or any other piece of heavier plastic and either taped or glued in place.

There are ideal solutions, and then there are solutions that will work in a pinch if almost nothing is available and funds are limited. Thankfully I've never had to worry about the funds - if I need new heads, I go get them, and I get what I want. This isn't to say that I'm rolling in Benjamins, but merely to say that I can manage to budget for a changeup in heads a couple of times a year. (less for bass drum - I usually run a kick head about 18 months to 2 years)
    +1...I like the phrase "judicious muffling" Going to use that one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    +1...I like the phrase "judicious muffling" Going to use that one.
    LOL! I like to say that because while I think a bit of muffling or dampening here and there can be a good thing - say a piece of moongel on a head to quiet some extra ring - I think some people take it way too far with big pillows stuffed in bass drums and tape all over toms, just killing the sound and making what would otherwise be a nice kit of drums sound like a cardboard box.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

something's not right. Take it all apart again...wipe it down...check the bearing edges. Ensure no wrinkling as lugs are tightened 1/8 past finger. I like the port idea for ease of accessing the inner shell, otherwise this would be counterproductive. Seems like you will need some dampening to get the punch you need.
    I am all for switching out the head. Once I got an E-Mad, I still had to tweak here and there. It's better now. Much better. There is so much going on with the bass drums and sound satisfaction there almost has to be a minimum starting point. It's hard enough to get the sound just right with the good stuff. I still think there is something wrong, otherwise. Shouldn't be slap,twack,and cracking. New head + new mood = more playing time.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

I would take each head off and then re-tune them evenly again, so as to remove any possibilities of a wrinkle forming. Aim for just past the point of wrinkling, using a star pattern(such as this one) from lug to lug:
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

The papery sound is due to the drum being tuned to low. A drum head has to be at a minimum tension to function properly. Think of a drum head like an elastic band, when you dont put any tension on an the band it doesnt make any sound, you pull it and once you reach a certain point you get a sound.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what everyone else said, but I would say tighten and muffle, tighten it to get rid of the flap, and then muffle to get rid of the ring.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northern redneck View Post
    the papery sound is due to the drum being tuned to low. A drum head has to be at a minimum tension to function properly. Think of a drum head like an elastic band, when you dont put any tension on an the band it doesnt make any sound, you pull it and once you reach a certain point you get a sound.
    +1

User Info Menu

slappy flappy cracky means its not tuned up.
    reminds me of SNLs Kings of Catchphrases skit
    "slappy pappy whaa whaa"