Thread: is this a big problem?

User Info Menu

Default is this a big problem?

i was wondering, i see most everybody these days has kits with mainly fusion sizes, or sizes with the depths of their toms being no more than say 8, 9, or 10 inches. On my kit my toms are like 12x11, and 13x12 tom toms, so theyre very deep, and also are mounted on my bass drum which is why i have to tilt them to like a 20-30 degree angle to play them. Also because my tom tom's take up so much space it would be hard to reach a lot of cymbals if i had a lot. But the toms are pretty thunderous as a trade off for the increased depth.

User Info Menu

Ice, this is a common situation. You either have deeper toms and have everything a bit higher, or you have shallower toms and you'll be able to mount them lower. You could always mount your toms on a cymbal stand slight off center of bass drum. This may allow you to get them lower.

User Info Menu

I think because ill be using triggers for mor sounds ...... maybe not once tom hears my drums....... But i guess having less depth.... Thus less resonance... Would possibly be better.... I dunno :S I like the look of the "fast toms" (small depth toms)
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I don't have a photo....so you may not entirely know what i'm talknig about here but what i do is...
    you know the tom arms?...well normally people would have the longer section in the bass drum and the shorter section in the tom. I reverse this so i can keep the tom low. what it lets me do is keep the tom depth out of the way of the bass drum out farther, hence i can keep the tom low.

I don't know if this is what you mean, or if its any help.
    Oh and i only use 2 toms like this guy

User Info Menu

yea..that would be perfect if i used 1 tom tom, but its a dual arm, so the other tom would be useless..so thats really not an option..im comfortable with the way it is..i just dont want it to affect my overall playing, thanks guys

User Info Menu

Michigan,

I have that same pproblem if thats what you want to call it . I have a 9x13 and 12x 15 tom mounted on top of my bass , to get around their size , 2 of my cymbals are on boom stands .

Love my classic Ludwig set .

gonefishin

User Info Menu

There deep drums man. How do they sound?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Stevo

All my drums are deep . My floor tom is 18x18

Ive had that set for the past 30 years and wouldnt trade for nothing .

gonefishin

User Info Menu

well as for the second tom I put one on and the best i could get with it was something like having 2 floor toms...which i found great so now thats the way i'm keeping mine...

User Info Menu

may i suggest the star cast mounting system from TAMA?
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

my rack toms come with the bass arm attachment already on them, so i'd have to take em out..which i dont wanna do. btw my floor tom is 16x16, lets see ur drums "gonefishin"

User Info Menu

have you looked at alternate mounting systems?
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mexicancounciloffood View Post
    I don't have a photo....so you may not entirely know what i'm talknig about here but what i do is...
    you know the tom arms?...well normally people would have the longer section in the bass drum and the shorter section in the tom. I reverse this so i can keep the tom low. what it lets me do is keep the tom depth out of the way of the bass drum out farther, hence i can keep the tom low.

I don't know if this is what you mean, or if its any help.
    Oh and i only use 2 toms like this guy
    mcof i did the same exact thing so now i have like a hovering floor tom, it looks really cool and i can put my ride in the spot where it used to be, it works perfectly

User Info Menu

I'm having trouble visualizing that, and I really like to see it. Could you post a picture of that, Coke Can?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    mcof i did the same exact thing so now i have like a hovering floor tom, it looks really cool and i can put my ride in the spot where it used to be, it works perfectly
    YEAH!! hovering is the word i'm looking for....I think it looks kinda cool too!!

User Info Menu

ya im gonna wait till i get some stands for my ride and other crash, and ill post some pics