Thread: Yet another DIY Bass drum

User Info Menu

Default Yet another DIY Bass drum

Although I built Kiks from combining my KD9 and PDX8 pads which worked well I had always though of making a kik out of a Pearl M80 snare. This past weekend I did just that. Pics and the details...

I used a Pintech 10" head. I removed the throw but mounted the snare butt inside the shell to mount the cone. The cone and sensor are mounted to an L bracket which I can adjust using the snare butt. There is a memory foam cylinder mounted inside which rests against the center of the head where the beater strikes-this is similar to the the Roland kd 120/140. This cuts down the bounce and gives the drum a feel/response similar to an acoustic/mylar head.

An aquarian super thin pad is mounted to the mesh head for durability. A note on this...Alot of debate on which beater to use felt or hard plastic. I prefer felt and have found that the felt does not wear the mesh heads but the mesh will grind down the felt beater quite rapidly so the pad is there to prevent this. The drum is surprisingly quiet even with the beater striking the pad. I was able to checkout a KD140 at GC and was able to get a feel for how the head should be tensioned and the pressure of the foam. I mounted a stiff felt disc to the outside rim for a nice clean look. I like this kik so much I just ordered the second M-80 and head which I will have tomorrow and will have the second Kik done this weekend.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yet another DIY Bass drum

Nice work as usual Timm, love your diy projects! One question regarding beaters, as i'm mostly a felt guy too. Have you ever tried to use the softer bomber beaters instead? Would they be responsive enough while promoting max durability?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Dang, that looks sweet!
    Nice job on that, it must have took forever to make it look that good :P
    I like that you used an actual drum and used it as a kick, it give more of a real drum kit look (and probably feel?) to it.
    Keep it up!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Wow man... that's really cool... I love seeing people's DIY projects... now I want to do one for my e-kit!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments. On the Bomber Beaters...I had thought about using one of those and in fact saw them at GC and took a look at them. They have a hard felt core just like the old style round felt beaters and the thicker soft outer wrap is maybe 1/2'' thick so I think it would hit solid enough. I may have to try one some day.

User Info Menu

Hmm, that's good to know. I had no idea they had a hard center, I just figured they were a pillowy fluffy wool design for softer hitters and a more mellow sound(and singers that hate loud kicks).
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments