Thread: Something odd happened.

User Info Menu

Default Something odd happened.

After playing my clear G2's (over stock, timbale sounding resos) that I disliked so much (and I let everyone know that in previous posts a while back) for a little less than a year, I'm beginning to like them. I don't know why, but they actually sound tolerable now. And I suddenly realized I need a new head for my kick, and that the stock one on there currently sounds bad.

I don't know why this has happened. I still want to get some EC2 frosted heads (I miss playing brushes on the toms), but now I'm going to postpone that a little bit more.

Also another thing happened around the same time; I realized I didn't need to be putting MoonGel on my vintage ride. I suddenly felt it was too dry, and I wasn't letting the true beauty of the cymbal ring out.

And I felt my Agazarian splash sounds a bit funny now, even though I liked it when I first got it. I feel like an A Custom splash (or three) could be the answer.

WHATS HAPPENING TO ME?!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: Something odd happened.

It sounds to me like time has taken it's effect on you, if i'm not mistaken? After awhile we can learn to love things we once considered bad, because our senses can slowly adapt to them and eventually learn to embrace anything. You've probably been playing with stock heads so long that the sound no longer bothers you, you're used to it and know what to expect when you get behind the kit every time. Not just with drums either, this can apply to many other aspects of life- people, food, job, activities, anything. We adapt to our surroundings in order to survive, and that's what it seems is happening to you. Before long, you'll love those stock heads like an old beat up but favorite pair of sneakers you just can't bring yourself to throw away. A bit unsettling, but an interesting human behavior all the same. If you ever decide you can't stand those stock heads though, I would just take them off until you have enough coin for some replacement resonant heads.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Can't go wrong with a custom splashes! Love my 10" a custom splash!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

It sounds like you might be going deaf.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

On a side note: congrats on your top dog status trickg!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Why thanks, DeeDubs! Conrats to you (belatedly - better late than never) as well!
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Don't mess with us!!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    It sounds to me like time has taken it's effect on you, if i'm not mistaken? After awhile we can learn to love things we once considered bad, because our senses can slowly adapt to them and eventually learn to embrace anything. You've probably been playing with stock heads so long that the sound no longer bothers you, you're used to it and know what to expect when you get behind the kit every time. Not just with drums either, this can apply to many other aspects of life- people, food, job, activities, anything. We adapt to our surroundings in order to survive, and that's what it seems is happening to you. Before long, you'll love those stock heads like an old beat up but favorite pair of sneakers you just can't bring yourself to throw away. A bit unsettling, but an interesting human behavior all the same. If you ever decide you can't stand those stock heads though, I would just take them off until you have enough coin for some replacement resonant heads.
    Very true.
    But the batter heads are not stock, the reso's are. I got some advice that I when I change my heads to put the G2's on the reso, instead of buying new resos. I'm not 100% sure if that will work but I sure hope so.

Congrats to trickg for finally made it to top dog status! You should of had that status starting with your first post

I still think they are mediocre, (I'm still partial, as in I wouldn't really recommend them to anyone) and that other heads would be better.
    Thanks for the input

@trickg

I'm not going deaf, I wear hearing protection 99.5% of the time!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos