Thread: Homemade "Bell"

User Info Menu

Default Homemade "Bell"

Awhile ago I had a pair of old GP hi hats my neighbor gave me for free. Knowing that I'd never use these, I put them away. Recently, I remembered I had them and with my recent surge of DIY creativity (see homemade kickpad thread) I decided to do something with them.

Basically all I did was use a 24 TPI metal cutting blade on a jig saw and slowly cut through the metal, taking off bit by bit until I had some kind of polygon shape centered around the bell. (I tried to make the best freehand circle I could so grinding it would be easier)

After I got it all cut down, I initially stuck it on a bolt with a bunch of felt washer to keep it tight and put the bolt and bell onto a regular old drill so that I could spin it while it was grinding. That didn't work too well because the bell kept coming loose, and I'd need something to keep the drill steady. So I just did it by hand.

Turns out that the cymbal sounded 100% better as a little bell. Mind you, it doesn't sound nearly as good as a professionally-crafted bell. But it was a fun and quick project. I'm going to make some other effect cymbal out of the other hat next.

If you have a cheap, damaged, and/or cracked cymbal laying around, this is a fun way to make good use of it. (Please don't do this to any vintage/nice cymbals! Just the cheap ones!)
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Homemade "Bell"

Wow, that thing looks like it would bring out some nice tones! Thats really cool, it's like a new hope for cheap or cracked cymbals :P
    (Nice way to censor the sharpie image btw )
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Great post Mike L! This recycling of old equipment really helps get your moneys worth out of what you buy.Way to go!
    Last edited by LudwigLifer; 01-22-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Turning trash into treasure.. That's a sweet little cymbal mod you did there, it's going to sound awesome i'm sure. You could also place the area around the bell on top of the cymbal and layer it or something. Good job.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

sticky!

yep im definitely going to do this next time

looks like a pro job

User Info Menu

looks like a great job and I really want to do that to a junker too!

a word of caution, I would be careful about using those bench grinders to do a LOT of cymbals.

Cymbals are bronze which, tho fairly tough in cymbal form, is a very soft metal in general compared to steel. The bronze could build up inside the porous stone and begin to 'pile up', causing the stone to burst.

Not saying it WILL happen, just speaking from experience that a porous stone could explode when packed with bronze. Use caution.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments, guys! It was a lot of fun, even though it didn't turn out perfectly round. But it cost me nothing, so I'm happy.

Cymbals are bronze which, tho fairly tough in cymbal form, is a very soft metal in general compared to steel. The bronze could build up inside the porous stone and begin to 'pile up', causing the stone to burst.
    Thanks for that bit of info. I had no idea and I'll keep that in mind.
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare