Thread: Recording Cajon

User Info Menu

Default Recording Cajon

Hey all

It's been awhile since I've posted, but I'm back with a question about recording the cajon. I'm considering either making my own cajon or purchasing one (most likely the meinl headliner cajon), and I was wondering which one would sound better for recording purposes. I think It would be exiting to build my own cajon, but I don't want it sounding bland or stale when recorded. Do you think I should make my own cajon, or purchase one? Remember... this would be for mostly recording purposes.

Thanks God Bless!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording Cajon

TeenChristian
    It would be fun to build and fun to play a cajon that you built; however, if you want a particular sound characteristics for recording, then buy the sound you want. That way you will be getting the sound you want. Also, the mic, mic placement, room and electronics will affect and color the final product.
    Either way enjoy and be blessed.
    BongoBill
    Last edited by bongobill; 01-22-2012 at 04:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey Bongobill thanks for your reply My friend has a headliner, and another has a home-made one, so I guess I'll have to see how they compare when recorded. I guess we'll see what happens... I'm sure if I don't get the sound I'm looking for out of the DIY cajon I'll be buying one.

User Info Menu

good decision. What type of stuff will you be recording?

User Info Menu

I would probably be recording instrumental covers of songs (considering I cannot sing). Mostly acoustic guitar, some electric leads, with some cajon as percussion, and with some nice base lines in the background at least that's the plan at the moment.