Thread: Large and small diaphragm mics as overheads

User Info Menu

Default Large and small diaphragm mics as overheads

Hi everyone,

I had a question about types of mics as overheads.
    I'm looking to get a small diaphragm condenser twin pack, but I've been interested in getting a small diaphragm and large diaphragm condenser pack (MXL 991 and 990). If I used them as overheads, would I get a warmer tone from one side of the kit, and a slightly tinny-er sound on the other (where the MXL 991 would be)?

I just thought there could be some issues with doing this, but I'm interested in finding out if it would actually happen.

Thanks in advance!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: Large and small diaphragm mics as overheads

Hey DR.
    Not sure you want to do that, but I understand what you are saying. You want the "air" quick transients from the small condensers and the warm tonal qualities of the large diaphragm mic. So there are a hundred ways to do this and there just as many ways to hang yourself as well. This is what I do, so take it with a grain of salt as every room and setup is different. Small condensers (oktavamodified MK-012) stereo pair in the x-y pattern for overheads to obtain the transients of the kit and the air. Remember your overheads will be the key. The the snare, and tom mics will put the body into the kit. I also take two stereo pair of Oktava ( modified as well) 219 large diaphragm mics and place them as room mics about five feet off of the kit not right and left of the kit. Then my stereo pan of the overheads are not quite as wide as you can get ( 10 o'clock and the 2 o'clock position) and the room mics sit at full wide pan. I then mix these two back into the track with the overhead as the dominant stereo remember that the flat frequency response is key for reproduction of the kit; and the large diaphragm room mics to "sweeten" up the mix.
    Last edited by nucjd; 01-23-2012 at 07:18 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd say that you want your overheards to be a pair of the same mic. Small diaphram condensers in x/y are very popular.
    I'm limitted to two inputs on my interface, so I went with a pair of large diaphram condensers (AT2020) in a recorderman set up (one above the snare, one over the right shoulder). Since my overheads have to grab everything, from the bass to the cymbals, I wanted the larger diaphram to better pick up low frequencies.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Hey DR.
    Not sure you want to do that, but I understand what you are saying. You want the "air" quick transients from the small condensers and the warm tonal qualities of the large diaphragm mic. So there are a hundred ways to do this and there just as many ways to hang yourself as well. This is what I do, so take it with a grain of salt as every room and setup is different. Small condensers (oktavamodified MK-012) stereo pair in the x-y pattern for overheads to obtain the transients of the kit and the air. Remember your overheads will be the key. The the snare, and tom mics will put the body into the kit. I also take two stereo pair of Oktava ( modified as well) 219 large diaphragm mics and place them as room mics about five feet off of the kit not right and left of the kit. Then my stereo pan of the overheads are not quite as wide as you can get ( 10 o'clock and the 2 o'clock position) and the room mics sit at full wide pan. I then mix these two back into the track with the overhead as the dominant stereo remember that the flat frequency response is key for reproduction of the kit; and the large diaphragm room mics to "sweeten" up the mix.
    Hmm, very interesting setup. Thanks for the detailed information, you nailed it dead on what I was asking.
    One day I'll try your method when I get a better interface.

@weezy

Thanks for that info as well, much appreciated!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

currently im using a small fixed x/y stereo mic as my main over head ...works perfect one of the best tools in my kit.

at the moment im saving for a matched large pair that i can use as room mics, x/y and side capture in figure 8 config ...can also use them as vocal mics